• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits thump and whine in excitement?

smudgiebun

Alpha Buck
Chewie has an obsession with getting behind things, whether it be the sofa, the TV, etc.

A recent one is trying to get behind the washing machine. He actually managed to do it today, and he stamped and did a soft bunny whine as he ran from one end to the other!!

First we wondered if there was something scary down there and the stamp/whine was due to fear, but then a few minutes later he went back and did it AGAIN!

After blocking it off he then proceeded to try and nudge his way through our blockaid to no avail :lol:

We thought maybe he could sense the outside world through the brick wall, so we opened the back door for him, but he didn't want to go out (he's not been outside in the new house yet) :?

Do you think the stamp and whine could just be a "haha, I did it! I got behind the washing machine, ner ner ner ner ner!" to us?

what sort of whine was it? mine tend to make a kind of low pitch snuffly snorting sound when excited :lol: but my bridge bun Nutmeg used to make a very distinctive honk noise so i guess theyre all different - bonkers but in their own special way!!!! :love: xxx

My Fiver does exactly this for no apparent reason at all...usually at stupid o' clock in the morning when I would rather be sound asleep. :?

Stamping and whining/making noise, is generally a fear response. They do this to warn other bunnies that there is danger.

Possibly there was a noise/smell behind the washer, and was trying to tell you there was "danger" there? :lol: I have no idea, but 9 times out of 10 I never, ever find out why my buns decide to thump at random times. Mine thump at me when they are angry, too, but unless he was angry at the washer, I doubt he was doing it for that reason. :lol:

It's hard to describe the whine, it's just like a soft whine, you know like the noise a dog makes when they are "crying", but much much softer and he will just make the noise once as he stamps.

I just don't understand this little rabbit sometimes :lol:

I don't think he's finished exploring the new house yet (we've been in since the middle of October) as he is constantly trying to get to "new" places where he can explore/hide. I think we need to make him some kind of manmade warren perhaps!

My second rabbit Lola is very vocal and makes what I think is the sound you describe. It sounds like an unsure 'oooh' but she does it while stamping feet and waiting for food. I think it's just excitement with her :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Bella is a very vocal rabbit as well and does this when she gets super excited. Usually when she's a bit hormonal!

Yes! Lola does this all the time :lol:

When you walk into the kitchen, she hurries over and thumps and groans at you until you pick her up, then she showers you with licks :love::love:

Rupert squeaks when he's excited :D Tia does too, but not as often (Rupert is easily pleased) and she's not as loud as Rupert... Rupert also wags his tail like a dog when he's excited :roll::shock:

This morning Binx just did some really excitable thumping, then ran into his warren tunnel system and more crazy thumping, then some thumping with pauses. I was trying to figure out what was wrong, its only me here. Either a toy spooked him or the only difference is I didn't have the main big light on. Not sure why he was freaked out. Bunny behaviour is fascinating. Im still getting to know Binx. He is 3 days post neutering so maybe its his hormones :shock:

This morning Binx just did some really excitable thumping, then ran into his warren tunnel system and more crazy thumping, then some thumping with pauses. I was trying to figure out what was wrong, its only me here. Either a toy spooked him or the only difference is I didn't have the main big light on. Not sure why he was freaked out. Bunny behaviour is fascinating. Im still getting to know Binx. He is 3 days post neutering so maybe its his hormones :shock:

LOL! Silly Binx :lol: Not sure about the post neuter as our boy was neutered when we got him, I'm sure someone else would know though :)

Back