• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I...

My rabbit has grass, hay, and a spring green leaf every day plus a small amount of dried rabbit food
in addition as treats I sometimes
give her the tops and bottoms cut off a couple of carrots(because I'm using the centre part for family tea).
I sometimes give her broccoli or a cabbage leaf instead of a spring green leaf.
I also have a new rabbit but she is having less spring green/cabbage at the moment than the other rabbit as I don't want her to have an upset tummy.

I think your mum is right not to change the rabbits diet suddenly. If the rabbit is happy and healthy on what he is being given then be careful about changing.

People vary in what they feed their rabbits but if you feel your rabbit would benefit from changing their diet please do it slowly/a little less or more each week.
For example if you are giving your rabbit a carrot each day give 3/4 of a carrot for a couple of weeks(or smaller carrots) then 1/2 a carrot for the next two weeks,etc
but you will need to give your rabbit something else to eat instead.

Do have a look in this forum under rabbit care then go to rabbit edibles where there is LOADS of info.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46015

hope this helps-Sue:wave:
I like the sound of their diet, sounds natural :)
Mine only get left over veggies too :p, occassionally some specially given :lol: i hate carrots though blerrk :oops:
I think this thread was interesting and yes G was little unfair, in myopinion :?
I love this forum :D

I'm amazed at some of the things said on this thread :? As far as I can see only two people have given sensible replies

I hope its not my reply :oops: I have read on here that spring greens are alright to feed which is why thats what my buns get :) Sorry if I have been unclear with my other post on this thread :)

In addition to unlimited hay and one handfull of pellets each my buns are fed spring greens each day with one of the following which changes daily to give variety

Carrot with tops
Spinach
Kale
Broccoli
Tomato
Small pieces of fruit (banana/apple/strawberries/melon....)

They also have access to grass daily and I agree with what others said about introducing new foods slowly :)

Also when I mentioned getting reduced veg from the market, this is what is left over at the end of the day and there is nothing wrong with it :)

I hope its not my reply :oops: I have read on here that spring greens are alright to feed which is why thats what my buns get :) Sorry if I have been unclear with my other post on this thread :)

In addition to unlimited hay and one handfull of pellets each my buns are fed spring greens each day with one of the following which changes daily to give variety

Carrot with tops
Spinach
Kale
Broccoli
Tomato
Small pieces of fruit (banana/apple/strawberries/melon....)

They also have access to grass daily and I agree with what others said about introducing new foods slowly :)

Also when I mentioned getting reduced veg from the market, this is what is left over at the end of the day and there is nothing wrong with it :)

Lucky bunsters you have :wave:

I think that was a bit unfair. We're only trying to help eachother :rolleyes:

I'm sure everyone is trying to help, but personally I think that with this sort of thing, if someone is not certain of the answer, then it's not necessarily helping and could in fact end up putting rabbits life at risk.

A thread full of 'I think' could give someone an incorrect answer (e.g. saying that iceberg isn't poisonous, which whilst technically true in the dictionary definition of poisonous, it can kill) which is why it's really important in these sorts of things to know what you're talking about before replying! It doesn't help rabbits if people get incorrect information and end up potentially damaging them because of it!

I'm sure everyone is trying to help, but personally I think that with this sort of thing, if someone is not certain of the answer, then it's not necessarily helping and could in fact end up putting rabbits life at risk.

A thread full of 'I think' could give someone an incorrect answer (e.g. saying that iceberg isn't poisonous, which whilst technically true in the dictionary definition of poisonous, it can kill) which is why it's really important in these sorts of things to know what you're talking about before replying! It doesn't help rabbits if people get incorrect information and end up potentially damaging them because of it!

I know your trying to help but please, everybody don't make this thread get closed like you did my others.

Yes, i agree with you, but people hear different things about different foods, and by replying they are only giving what they've heard and are trying to help. You're point is valid though and i thought G's reply was a tad unfair on what this forum is about, trying to help eachother, and we all know Diana is a very sensible responsible young lady who came on this forum to check for the welfare of her animal.

ooh ok :D
what veg is ok to feed everyday?
or should it be alternated with all fruit and veg?

:wave:HI, I GIVE MINE SPRING GREENS, BROCOLLI, CELERY ALL IN MODERATION, BUT THEY LOVE PRE-PACKED FRESH HERBS CORIANDER, MINT AND PARSLEY THEY COST 68P A BAG AND LAST DAYS..MUST ADMIT I ONLY GIVE A SPRIG OF PARSLEY AS HIGH IN CALCIUM I THINK:? IVE NEVER GAVE MY YOUNG BUN ANY FRUIT AS TOO YET HAS SHES HAPPY WITH HER GREENS AND HAY.:)

Yes, i agree with you, but people hear different things about different foods, and by replying they are only giving what they've heard and are trying to help. You're point is valid though and i thought G's reply was a tad unfair on what this forum is about, trying to help eachother, and we all know Diana is a very sensible responsible young lady who came on this forum to check for the welfare of her animal.

I agree. If Gem thinks only 2 replies were helpful she should identify which ones so that we can be sure we're not all poisoning our rabbits! It wasn't a very helpful comment without giving her view on safe bunny foods.

I think you need to take context into account - technically any veg could cause an upset tum/gut statis and lead to death but we wouldn't say that, for example, spring greens are poisonous - despite brassicas being more likely to cause gas and thus tummy problems than several other veg. I meant that it's not poisonous as in not toxic, as that's how I read the context of it.

Back