• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I...

I don't think it's poisonous :?
just gives them runny poo and has no nurtition in it,
Raily, Romaine lettuce is fine in moderation. Carrots shouldn't be fed daily, but someone on here probably knows more about it than me.

I've always thought it was. Okay, well, anybody know about carrots? :lol:

Carrots are OK in moderation - too sugary to be fed in high amounts. An inch piece as a treat really, but again build it up with smaller pieces to start

Iceberg isn't poisonous - just full of water and not much nutritional value at all (which makes it a good 'diet' food for humans - fills you up without you putting on weight). It can just upset tums more easily that others because of the high water content, but you should be careful with introducing any new veg or giving it in high amounts

Oh yeah I know in case Bella gets an upset stomach.

Carrots are OK in moderation - too sugary to be fed in high amounts. An inch piece as a treat really, but again build it up with smaller pieces to start

What do you mean build it up? Bella usually has a carrot every night. Should I cut this down to about half a carrot every month?

Because they get fed too much perhaps :p
Lol i have put them on a diet as well. They''re mainly on natural food now.

What do you mean build it up? Bella usually has a carrot every night. Should I cut this down to about half a carrot every month?

If you're giving a bunny something they haven't had before then you need to slowly build up/increase the amount you're giving, from a very small piece to the piece you give regularly. If Bella's already on carrot then that's fine, it was just incase someone else read about it too :)
Half a carrot is still a bit too much in my opinion - too much sugar in the diet can slow the gut down and encourage bacteria to grow as well.

If you're giving a bunny something they haven't had before then you need to slowly build up/increase the amount you're giving, from a very small piece to the piece you give regularly. If Bella's already on carrot then that's fine, it was just incase someone else read about it too :)
Half a carrot is still a bit too much in my opinion - too much sugar in the diet can slow the gut down and encourage bacteria to grow as well.

I understand that but in this case I'm not. Shall I give her half a carrot every month then?

Try this link - http://www.petwebsite.com/rabbits/rabbit_fruit.htm

Just give her a small piece of carrot a couple of times a week - do you have grass and dandelions in the garden? Fresh hay daily is the most important thing in a rabbits diet.

Thanks, that's helping :)

We have grass but not dandelions as mum sprayed them with weed killer. Maybe when we get some more I'll ask mum not to spray them and to pick them for Bella? Bella has hay :)

To be honest, mine dont eat their hay, but i suppose that's as they live out most of the time and eat so much grass and natural food. They eat a little every week.. ( they eat some of their fresh bedding )
I'm a naturelle kind of person so i try and keep all their diets as wildish and natural as possible even though they're tame. They do eat museli as well though. It's cheap too :p

Thanks, that's helping :)

We have grass but not dandelions as mum sprayed them with weed killer. Maybe when we get some more I'll ask mum not to spray them and to pick them for Bella? Bella has hay :)

If your mum has been spraying weed killer in the garden DONT feed Bella any grass it might be contaminated.

To be honest, mine dont eat their hay, but i suppose that's as they live out most of the time and eat so much grass and natural food. They eat a little every week.. ( they eat some of their fresh bedding )
I'm a naturelle kind of person so i try and keep all their diets as wildish and natural as possible even though they're tame. They do eat museli as well though. It's cheap too :p

Aww, your such a kind bunny mummy :D

bella

mine have spring greens every day which are fine, and cucumber, tomatoes, celery, brocolli, and a carrot once a week, mine are big french lops though but bella would love a bit of any of these. whatever u have in the fridge x

Iceberg isn't technically 'poisonous' by definition but it CAN kill so please NEVER feed your rabbit iceberg lettuce! I personally know someone whose rabbit died after its gut was disturbed becaues of iceberg. Romaine is ok as are some of the darker ones - spring greens are from the cabbage family but are absolutely fine to give (in moderation due to high calcium content).

Mine have a leaf of spring greens each most days. But always introduce new foods slowly as their gut bacteria need time to develop to the new foods, otherwise they could end up getting bloat and becoming dangerously ill even with something which is supposed to be 'ok'.

Back