• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I...

Iceberg isn't technically 'poisonous' by definition but it CAN kill so please NEVER feed your rabbit iceberg lettuce! I personally know someone whose rabbit died after its gut was disturbed becaues of iceberg. Romaine is ok as are some of the darker ones - spring greens are from the cabbage family but are absolutely fine to give (in moderation due to high calcium content).

Mine have a leaf of spring greens each most days. But always introduce new foods slowly as their gut bacteria need time to develop to the new foods, otherwise they could end up getting bloat and becoming dangerously ill even with something which is supposed to be 'ok'.

Yeah, that's what I heard!

Of course and thanks :)

Yes my dad is killing the clover on the lawn so i have to be careful where i'm putting my two.
Wild bunnies are in the hutch and haven't been let out to roam free yet, i'll do that up the other bit of the garden, i can't wait to see them out investigated the world again :)

question, while we are on lettuce,

my neighbour came round, and gave me all of her organic veg box becuase she was going on holiday!

she gave me

savoy cabbage
curly cabbage (?)
red lettuce
spinach
a huge bag of mixed lettuce (all very dark greed and red)
and beetroot

which of these are out of the picture for my buns?

I'm amazed at some of the things said on this thread :? As far as I can see only two people have given sensible replies

I'm amazed at some of the things said on this thread :? As far as I can see only two people have given sensible replies

I can't see anything wrong with any of the replies :?
ETA if you think something is wrong with my reply could you please tell me what?

In fairness it can be a grey area though - there's so much contradictory information around on the net and few 100% reliable sources and a lot of rumours and old wives tales.

personally I always believed that cabbage was fine in moderation but lettuce should be avoided cos it can have a soporific effect. but re: cabbage, it depends on the rabbit anyway, cos different rabbits tolerate different things

My buns get spring greens every day and they're fine. Never had a runny poo in 2 years :) *touches wood*

Mine have spring greens every day too, with one other type of veg and I have had no problems with spring greens :D

Although when they grab the big leaves and run off they always trip over it :lol:

:wave: dont feed lettuce can cause bloating. all mine have spring greens, chicory, spinich and chinese leaf. which they all love. if they had their way it would be feed 24-7!:roll:

Consult a vet if unsure, yes i agree net can be unreliable at times.
They have bunny week at my vets every month where they advice that kind of stuff, see if there is one at your vet, and maybe 'hop' along :lol:
I know the stuff i give mine is either from the wild or the occassional veg, nothing major. Actually come to think of it gave mine green beans as i ran out of food. :?

here is a rough feeding guide for my buns (this is based on a pair)

Carrot - 2 1/3rds of a carrot every 2 - 4days
Apple - 2 slices every 2 or 3 days
Cabbage/spring greens/curly kale = large generous handful every day
Celery - 4 chunks every 2 days
Broccoli - 1 or 2 'sprigs' every few days

they also get mint,parsley, etc, large handfuls of grass and endless ammounts of hay, and i have never had a runny bum, or a bun with the incorrect weight. have never had stasis or tum problems due to diet.

this is rough... but my buns havent gone a day without veggies their whole lives, as in my opinion its much better than 'treats', altho they get them 2!

My bunnies are used to all the above, and while it may seem they get alot, they are used to it and it was introduced slowly.

hope that has helped

here is a rough feeding guide for my buns (this is based on a pair)

Carrot - 2 1/3rds of a carrot every 2 - 4days
Apple - 2 slices every 2 or 3 days
Cabbage/spring greens/curly kale = large generous handful every day
Celery - 4 chunks every 2 days
Broccoli - 1 or 2 'sprigs' every few days

this is rough... but my buns havent gone a day without veggies their whole lives, as in my opinion its much better than 'treats', altho they get them 2!

My bunnies are used to all the above, and while it may seem they get alot, they are used to it and it was introduced slowly.

hope that has helped

Do they have pellets/museli?
Mine go mental when you give them cow parsley leaves.
Personally, i think long thick grass is best as well with some slowly introduced veggies, it's only natural and they do munch to it to their hearts content. :)

My rabbit has grass, hay, and a spring green leaf every day plus a small amount of dried rabbit food
in addition as treats I sometimes
give her the tops and bottoms cut off a couple of carrots(because I'm using the centre part for family tea).
I sometimes give her broccoli or a cabbage leaf instead of a spring green leaf.
I also have a new rabbit but she is having less spring green/cabbage at the moment than the other rabbit as I don't want her to have an upset tummy.

I think your mum is right not to change the rabbits diet suddenly. If the rabbit is happy and healthy on what he is being given then be careful about changing.

People vary in what they feed their rabbits but if you feel your rabbit would benefit from changing their diet please do it slowly/a little less or more each week.
For example if you are giving your rabbit a carrot each day give 3/4 of a carrot for a couple of weeks(or smaller carrots) then 1/2 a carrot for the next two weeks,etc
but you will need to give your rabbit something else to eat instead.

Do have a look in this forum under rabbit care then go to rabbit edibles where there is LOADS of info.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46015

hope this helps-Sue:wave:

Thank you for all your helpful replies. They have helped a lot, I think I'll keep Bella on lettuce as she seems to like it and it's not giving her any problems *touch wood* as of yet.

Gemma, I have been through my whole thread, what seems to be out of order?

Back