• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do house rabbits need the rhd2 vaccination?

Yeah, I think I'll stick with nine lives who are obv more rabbit savvy than the local vets and get them to check it out as probably more likely to know if it's going to be a problem before vaccinating. I actually called the local one again today out of interest to see if they would vaccinate and said they would this time but I'm sticking with redbourn now!
I think you'll be really happy with them. I'd trust them with any of my pets and having been a VN I'm very particular about who I trust with my pets and the standard of care and knowledge I expect from a practice ;)

Point out the scabbing to them. They may postpone the vaccine and charge you for a consultation instead but they won't charge you for consult & vaccine. It'll be one or the other.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Brilliant. Thank you. I phoned to check what vaccination they're giving and at the moment it's eravac? Not sure if remembered it correctly as they're out of stock of filavac at the moment. They said over the phone it will probably be fine and they'll probably just give it lower down the body.

Brilliant. Thank you. I phoned to check what vaccination they're giving and at the moment it's eravac? Not sure if remembered it correctly as they're out of stock of filavac at the moment. They said over the phone it will probably be fine and they'll probably just give it lower down the body.

Some vets are using era vac instead of filavac, as they can't get it.

Just so you are informed about eravac...

Santa wrote this on my RHD2 thread in January :

I'm sure I've said it before but for ease it's probably easier to repeat myself here: eravac does not have a duration of immunity associated with it, hence its use only for meat rabbits - who will only need one vaccination before they are slaughtered for meat. So for pet rabbits it means that we have no idea when we need to have a booster, because that hasn't been established. Also, in one of their two trials, it did not prevent RHD2 infection, it only reduced it. One of the trials gave 100% protection but the other gave 93% (compared to a control group at something like 50% mortality, I can't remember the exact figures off the top of my head), so its data sheet says it is to 'reduce mortality' from RHD2 whereas filavac trials showed 100% protection and therefore their data sheet says it is to 'prevent mortality'. Subtle but very important difference! When added to the single dose vials and the fact that eravac is mineral oil based (thus giving risk of operator injury if self-injected and injection site wounds), it's a no-brainer to me to encourage my vet to still use filavac.

After an initial hiccup when eravac was first licenced, it doesn't seem to have impacted the wholesale supply chain of filavac either, so hopefully we can still get this with relative ease, and hopefully now the issue has gained traction there will be other options available in the UK in the not too distant future!

Thanks for that. I would prefer her to have filavac. Oil based does make me wonder how safe it actually is. Mmm now i have to decide do I wait and take her to the rabbit savvy vet when they get more in stock and can check her necks okay first or take her to the local vet who isnt rabbit savvy but has filavac and I say she's going to go outdoors so she can have it. I hoped it wouldnt be this difficult.

Thanks for that. I would prefer her to have filavac. Oil based does make me wonder how safe it actually is. Mmm now i have to decide do I wait and take her to the rabbit savvy vet when they get more in stock and can check her necks okay first or take her to the local vet who isnt rabbit savvy but has filavac and I say she's going to go outdoors so she can have it. I hoped it wouldnt be this difficult.

Personally I'd get her to the local Vet and get the Filivac done ASAP.

I think I probably will take her to local vet and hope they're good enough to tell if her scabby neck is okay. I'm hoping it's just from her scratching too hard before her claws were clipped as shes not regularly scratching the area or anywhere else and she seems okay in herself.

I'm like a yoyo between deciding which vet to take her to! I just want her vaccinated asap with the best one!

I would go with the vet that has the vaccine you want. In an ideal world you would see the same vet in the same practice and they would provide everything you needed when you needed it at a reasonable cost. Sadly this isn't the actual situation. I have had to attend 2 different practices (outside where I previously went) to obtain vaccines at the right time or in the case of filavac just to obtain it. In any other situation I might feel disloyal but advice I've been given at some practices would have left my rabbits at risk. Go get the vaccine you want, if you are impressed with the way your rabbit is treated consider using them again, if not keep looking.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

If I had to chose between Earvac and Filavac. I'd go for Filavac personally.
If you had the Earvac done, you'd need a repeat after about 6 months to be on safe side.

For the non savvy vets they should be able to advise correctly on the skin and if you're not confident you can ask them to communicate with Nine Lives for second opinion x

If you want, you can PM me the name of the non-savvy vets as I may be able to provide information on which vet there would be best to see.

You're welcome :wave:

I would go to your local vet and get the Filavac done asap. I think I said that earlier :)

Both vets will get sick of me soon if i keep booking, changing and cancelling appointments and questioning what they stock! I have her booked in with nine lives for her spaying next month though!

Both vets will get sick of me soon if i keep booking, changing and cancelling appointments and questioning what they stock! I have her booked in with nine lives for her spaying next month though!

Well you are a paying customer after all. No point in paying for a service and the service not being appropriate/able to provide what you need.

Well I wouldn't worry about that! You need to have confidence in your vet and what service they are providing for you! :)

Just got back, she's now been vaccinated with filavac at local vet. The vet did it slightly lower down away from the scratched bit on the back of her neck, vet didn't think the scratch was anything serious as she's not scratching at it very often. As soon as the vet put her carrier on the table and I loosened my grip of her she hopped straight into the open top of her carrier, she obviously wasnt impressed. She's eaten pellets and hay since we got home and looks like she's grumpily hopping around the room. My kids are trying to make her do tricks but she's hopping away from them at the moment, obv in a little huff with us. The vet mentioned again about us being in a 'safe' area and the closest case to us has been Cambridge (approx 40miles) away. I said I had heard st Albans (which is approx 8 miles away) she looked surprised. She said it must have been fairly recent and I said I think a couple of weeks. They're obv not getting updates often enough.

Just got back, she's now been vaccinated with filavac at local vet. The vet did it slightly lower down away from the scratched bit on the back of her neck, vet didn't think the scratch was anything serious as she's not scratching at it very often. As soon as the vet put her carrier on the table and I loosened my grip of her she hopped straight into the open top of her carrier, she obviously wasnt impressed. She's eaten pellets and hay since we got home and looks like she's grumpily hopping around the room. My kids are trying to make her do tricks but she's hopping away from them at the moment, obv in a little huff with us. The vet mentioned again about us being in a 'safe' area and the closest case to us has been Cambridge (approx 40miles) away. I said I had heard st Albans (which is approx 8 miles away) she looked surprised. She said it must have been fairly recent and I said I think a couple of weeks. They're obv not getting updates often enough.

Glad you managed to get the vaccine done. You could pass this link on to the Practice so they can monitor confirmed RHD2 cases more closely

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/

Glad she got seen and they're not worried about the scratches.

Immunity will kick in soon so you can feel more confident about things. She'll forgive soon enough about the vets. Normally a night for mine.

Glad she's got Nine Lives for the spay - I drove Daphne 1 hour and 30 mins to have her spayed by them at 5 months old as I didn't have any vets in Cambridge I felt I could trust. :oops:

Back