• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Contact with wild rabbits

JamesK

New Kit
We've been in our house about 10 years and now for the first time I'm seeing rabbits in the garden... not ours! I wondered if this could be because we'd put ours in a run further down the garden and the droppings may be attracting visitors. Anyhow, my question is if I need to take some steps to keep these visitors away from our buns. Ours would be in an enclosure, there's no way the rabbits could get to each other, but I'm wondering if there are diseases that could be transmitted with the odd nose-bump. Our rabbits have been vaccinated for *something* by the vet, not sure exactly what that was but it seemed pretty standard.

Vaccinating your Rabbits is really the only thing you can do to prevent them catching any disease, but of course it isn't 100% guaranteed. The other problem you could encounter, if the Wildies come close to your Rabbits, is referred aggression where your dominant Rabbit will want to attack the wild ones but can't, so attacks his mate instead. This is quite stressful for them. It isn't a good combination really and if wildies can get in presumably Foxes can also.

Wild rabbits can bring myxomatosis and RHD closer to your rabbits. Make sure their vaccinations are kept up to date every year, as they at higher risk with closer proximity to wildies.

As nice as wild rabbits are, I would want a barrier to stop them getting in the garden if there are pet rabbits there. Rabbits are prey animals and will attract various predators (foxes, cats, birds of prey) which won't see pet rabbits as any different. Even if the pets are in a secure enclosure, it doesn't stop the transmission of diseases or being spooked by predators. Pet rabbits may feel even more vulnerable to predators as they can't escape, even if they are not easily caught. The stress can cause all sorts of other health & behavioural issues.

I agree with the advice already given. I would check that your rabbits are vaccinated for myxomatosis and both rhd and rhd2 and are kept up to date, a lapse will mean they aren’t covered.

I think with some effort I should be able to secure the garden because there are fences all round. There's just one hole I know about so I'll fix that and see if it keeps them out. I'll also check on those vaccinations. Thanks for the comments.

Don't forget that rabbits will dig, so a rabbit-proof fence would usually need to go underground as well by at least a spade depth, or mesh on top of the ground so they can't dig through into the garden.

Back