• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging and nipping

MrsCoultas

Mama Doe
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've written in other parts of the forum!

I've been having Raggy downstairs on the sofa and sometimes he goes for a wander around the living room. Mainly he just stays on the sofa, he climbs on the cushions, plays with his towel, lots of naps and grooms his new favourite cuddly toy 'Dan the Dog' (it's about twice the size of him but he loves it :lol: )

But something I've noticed in the last couple of weeks is that he has started digging at me and nipping me. It wouldn't usually mind but it does hurt and I accidently jump when he nips, which I think scares him a bit. He always chooses the most sensitive areas too, like my tummy, my chest, my sides etc. He doesn't appear to want to be as cuddly as he used to be, but I do understand that not all bunnies like a snuggle, Poppy wasn't a cuddler.

My own paranoia is kicking in and I'm now starting to think that he doesn't like me, or I've done something to really offend him. Is the digging a negative behaviour?

Thanks in advance :)

If I remember correctly, Ragnar has already had the 'snip'?

Have you been using a new soap, body lotion, perfume, fabric softener etc? He could be picking up on the strange smell which might bother him?

I'm not sure how you'd go about stopping it... I assume jumping and making a sound that mimics pain might help but finding the cause is normally better.

I guess he appears in otherwise good health? Normal poos etc.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Yes he has been snipped already, back in February :)

I can't think of any new smells, same laundry stuff, I don't use creams really. Part of me thinks it could be something to do with the weather? It's been really hot and then a bit chilly. I noticed that he used to groom me a lot, but now he doesn't, is it possible that I've become the submissive one lol. But he is still very loving, he still runs around my feet and is always checking out what I'm doing. He's never actually been aggressive at all, it's not like I think he's actually doing it to hurt me, maybe he is just playing.

He's in good health, his teeth look good, he's eating well, poos are good, drinking as normal too. Maybe I'm just spoiling him too much?

He is a strange fellow! He hasn't dug at me or nipped me yesterday or today...He was being really cuddly last night. I think I must have just done something to annoy him! He does need his claws doing, we tried doing them last week but MrC couldn't keep Ragnar still, and when I tried holding him firm MrC almost cut a nail too short :roll: Maybe that is why he's been annoyed with me.

Wish I was closer as I could come over and help you clip the nails. I know its not easy.

Maybe you could try by distracting him with smeared baby food (so he can't grab and run) then lift his paws & clip the nails while he's stood & distracted with the food.

Back