• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Diet Query - and other advice needed, thanks

vikkia1234

Warren Scout
Hi there

The vet told me to put Guinness on a diet as they thought he was over weight ( he was 3.3kg at 4 months) So i have and he has noticeably lost weight, i dont have scales but i can see he is more porportioned.

The thing i was worried about is that i found this internet site the other day saying that rabbits between 4 - 8 months should have an unlimited amount of pellets to eat, now im not sure if i am doing the right thing as i have reduced his pellets by at least half the ammount and he appears starving all the time although he does eat alot of hay.

I see so many things with different information i never know whats right or whats wrong - another example is that the vet said i must pick him up by the scruff off the neck ( which i personnally hate) and other internet sites say NEVER pick them up by the scruff of the neck! Who are you supposed to believe?

What are your veiws?

P.S He is a full size French Lop

big rabbits don't want to be overweight as it puts strain on their joints, so if he's eating lots of hay he'll be fine on less pellets. A lot of breeders also say not to give constant food, but rather 2 or 3 'meals' a day - even my grown up bunnies have 2 small meals a day, as well as some veg at tea time. This will encourage them to eat hay, which is best for their long-term health.

picking up by the scruff is wrong - that's what cats do but it's not something rabbits do - you can grab hold of the scruff to hold the rabbit still on the ground, while you scoop them up with your other hand, but you mustn't actually hold them by the scruff in mid air - they can kick and twist their back fatally.

big rabbits don't want to be overweight as it puts strain on their joints, so if he's eating lots of hay he'll be fine on less pellets. A lot of breeders also say not to give constant food, but rather 2 or 3 'meals' a day - even my grown up bunnies have 2 small meals a day, as well as some veg at tea time. This will encourage them to eat hay, which is best for their long-term health.

picking up by the scruff is wrong - that's what cats do but it's not something rabbits do - you can grab hold of the scruff to hold the rabbit still on the ground, while you scoop them up with your other hand, but you mustn't actually hold them by the scruff in mid air - they can kick and twist their back fatally.

Phew thats ok then, I give guinness a small portion of pellets in the morning before work with veg, and small portion when i finish work, he just seems like he is starving all the time!

That what i thought, i was horrified when i saw the vet pick him up by the scruff, she said "as hes a big bun you will need to pick him up by the scruff" WHY?! Guinness hate being picked as it is let alone doing that.

Don't worry, all rabbits tell you that ;) As long as he has hay available all the time he'll be fine. It's just pellets taste yummy - he's begging for sweets ;)

Thanks, i get worried cos i have read lots of websites that say different things and i only wanna do what best for my baby! Another reason why i joined this forum!

Back