• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Desperately need help

I just watched Sky when he was ripping out inguinal testicle stitches, and whenever he went down there I stopped him. I stayed up for 3 days straight and my mum watched him for a couple of hours in the morning and a couple in the evening so I could get a small amount of sleep.

That was less distressing for him than the other options for him, although he did think I had lost the plot (but with that small amount of sleep, I probably had anyway :lol:).

It's obviously nto always feasible to stay and watch a bunny like that, but between you all you may be able to.

My vet said that collars don't work on rabbits as they tend to use their hind legs to scratch at the stitches rather than just nibble them out. I think most rabbits don't cope well with collars.

It worked for one of mine who decided to nibble her stitches. She had to wear it when she wasnt supervised and although it annoyed her it gave her body time to heal and after a few days she didn't need to wear it. I guess some bunnies will be more determined than others to remove a collar though.

Helen xx

If you can get to a late night chemist you could buy a human linen sling as they are quite thick and at least 2 large vet wraps/crepe bandages. Wrap the sling around her middle with the larger part covering her stomach and the smaller tied lightly over her shoulders or where ever it fits best. Then use the vet wrap/crepe bandage to hold in place. Make sure neither are too tight, 2 fingers inserted by someone between the body and sling, then sling and bandage as you wrap should be enough.
That may hold until the morning, plenty for her to chew through.

Maybe a flannel/teatowel under another layer of clothing that can be adapted, tesco and sainsburys will be open 24 hours so you could pop there and buy a baby grow to adapt?

It won't be comfy for her, but will help keep her safe over night.

Looks like a buster collar may be your only option if you can't get a proper pet vest.

I don't drive and it's several miles to any chemist or supermarket. ARGGHHH animals!! I have a bitter spray but I don't think I can use it ON a wound?

Your vet can order pet vests from their normal suppliers. They are for cats and dogs post spay but if you get an xxxs or something it should do the trick, although if it were me I'd be straight up to the baby department of a supermarket or somewhere for a baby grow as it's going to be cheaper.

I don't drive and it's several miles to any chemist or supermarket. ARGGHHH animals!! I have a bitter spray but I don't think I can use it ON a wound?

No don't use it on wounds. Just try and keep your eyes on her as much as possible. Do you have any tights or some socks you can use to try and make something?

Has your mum kept any of your old baby clothes? A baby t-shirt might work. A trouser leg or long sleeve could also be used. Is bunny indoors where you can monitor her?

Try a sock....if you haven't got one big enough, slit two open and sew them together...do your vet not even have an emergency number? That's a bit dangerous if so :?

Desperately need help!

Hi:wave:when my bun Nelly had surgery:(she nibbled her stitches the same as your bun has:shock:I pinched one of my mum,s surgical stockings:oops:cut it up and made a "body stocking" to fit her:lol:this did the trick and stopped her attacking her stiches (the vet thought it was brilliant and made all the vet nurses have a look at my handiwork) you could get the same result with the leg of a thick pair of tights or even leggings:D
Good luck:)

Binky pulled out all of her stitches post spay - (or Bailey did it - someone took them out anyway!!)

But the vet did the same as yours, stapled, antibiotics etc - it is HORRIBLE seeing them all open like that isn't it? Thank goodness you were checking.

Binky had a lampshade. It was only for a couple of days as the vet said most of the healing is done in that time anyway.

She couldn't eat her ceacels, but for a couple of days that's not the end of the world - just made sure to feed by hand and hang hay from high up so she could eat it - same with water bottle.

I did get up during each night just to check her, make sure she could reach the water etc.

I think the collar is the better of two bad things.

Back