• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Desperate plea for re-homing recommendations (SE London)

MrsBinky

Warren Scout
Apologies if this is the wrong section, can't workout where is best to put this.

One of our (house, no garden) rabbits has reacted really badly to us having a second baby human, the baby is 7 months old so it's not like we've decided to 'throw away' our buns overnight, it's been a long, hard decision and we've tried everything to avoid it coming to this. :cry:

I've tried contacting the admin for rehoming here, nothing back and I've tried two of the local rescues (one is full, the other no longer responding to emails/phone).

Everyday she's becoming more stressed and our other bun has, in the last week, started behaving similarly to her.

I'll get to the point now....can anyone recommend an experience, excellent rehoming centre or rescue, in SE London or Kent?

Terrified if we don't find them somewhere to go to she'll need to be PTS (because of the stress), she has (minor) health problems that meant she was sitting in the rescue a long time before we bought her home, and with young children being her major stress point I don't want her/them going somewhere inexperience or unsuitable...and think a rescue will be better at vetting people for them than we will be (also think they need to leave us asap to avoid extra stress).

If anyone can help with a recommendation, I will be forever thankful. x

I think most rescues insist on an animal being returned to them rather than rehomed, perhaps you had better check with the rescue you got them from.
Best of luck xx

Poor bunny, it must be stressful for her and for you. :( I agree that I'd start with the rescue you got bunny from as they usually stipulate that the bunny must be returned to them.

You might have tried already but GBH Rescue is quite local I think? Otherwise you could search Rabbit Rehome for a list of nearby rescues.

Another option would be to look at addressing the issues you're experiencing so that maybe bunny will adjust to the changes that have happened in her life. Perhaps if you described exactly what's troubling your bunny/how she's reacting around your baby/where they're living within the house etc, then people may be able to offer advice so that you can work around it instead of rehoming. Sometimes all it needs is a fresh pair of eyes on the situation and we might be able to come up with some ideas you haven't thought of. :D

Thanks for the responses (and on the rabbitrehome page, there's a rescue 'fourleggedfriends' who no-longer has a website).

Ooh, Karen! Yes, would be so much more happier having them stay here as their forever home, right;
They were fine with 1st baby, happy to have him stroke, give them hay etc (setting the scene, they're not antisocial!) but since #2 arrived girlbun is unwilling to come out of the cage if she can hear baby (which is a problem as she's not getting enough exercise)...baby is teething atm so he's very noisy most of the time!
She won't run around, binky or eat outside the cage (if you give her food, she'll bring it back in to eat).
She spends most of her cagefree time sitting under the table thumping or asleep under table.
Whilst in the cage she's either excessively drinking (we give fresh water everyday, but atm I give 330ml in the morning and it needs refilling by the afternoon) or doing nothing (eating, but not playing, grooming mate or exploring)
She's stopped humping him (think he's happy for the break) and will only approach me (not husband or others).
Her ears are usually doing the radar thing but when she's out the cage, pinned back.
No teeth grinding or signs of aggression.
Poo/wee is the same (although she's delitter-tray-trained herself).

We live in a 2 bed with an open plan living/dining room and they're always on the dining side. We've tried;
Moving them to the kitchen (she hates the dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer)
Otherside of the living room (can't atm as it's were the heater is, and it's on)
Under the dining table (so small humans can't reach them, she thumps as she likes to see what's going on)
Them in the 2nd bedroom (home to big child human, they spend the night waking each other up with the crying/thumping exchange)
Then in our bedroom (home to us and small problem human, so all night thumping there too).
Them in the bathroom (have to move them to the hall when the shower/bath on)

Husband took small humans away for a long weekend to see if it would help her, at the end of Jan, she started to respond to me, seemed happier but the second smaller human was back, she was upset again.

Have contacted every rescue in the area, including GBH..couldn't remember the name but it's where we got girlbun from, so thanks for the suggestion.
FYI for anyone reading and in the area; Foal Farm have no spaces due to rebuilding rabbit homes atm and have a really, really long waiting list (and v.helpful man on the emails)

Last edited:
Could you build a run to attach to the dog crate, using panels illustrated in indoor housing section? That would give them some 'safe' space during the day and they could have some free-range time when the babies go to bed.

Try contacting Anne McBride rabbit and animal behaviourist either via rabbit welfare association or via her uni email. Google her and she will come up with uni email .

She does a lot if work like this and writes articles on it for rabbiting on the RWA mag

Bobtails is good but on the other side of London.

Has she had a vet check? I doubt all those issues are medical but if some things making her feel of colour to start with she might have a lower tolerance for noisy children, which could be why child one was okay. The excessive drinking is the thing that makes me ask (plus the litter training which could be behaviour or physical) - it doesn't really match with the other behaviours and could be a sign of a kidney or urinary tract issue - the vet could probably do a urine test to checkup as I'm sure you know they are good at hiding pain symptoms.

Have you tried a radio on a low classical setting - some rabbits find that relaxing. I guess it's like background noise so makes other sounds less startling. She maybe thinking or the crying as a warning/distress sign - like thumping - which would go with the skittishness and wanting cover.

I know it sounds slightly counter productive, but have you tried providing more cover? For example you could put cardboard on the top/side of her cage to make it feel more enclosed (possibly leaving a window so she can see out). Providing a box in the cage too, if you don't already. You could also use boxes or pop up tunnels so she can get around the room but still have cover close by. If the floor is lino/tile/wood, putting down a rug may also help as it gives them more grip to bolt for it. Rabbit's like to know they can get away if they need to, so making that option easier can give them more confidence.

You could try treating to change the association, but I don't know how successful it would be. When the screams start, take a moment to pop in and see her say something and offer her a treat (pop it next to her if she's not interested in food at that point). I know I can stop a startle response in Scamp if I click at him ahead or alongside the thing causing the panic eg he might run if a turn a light on in the middle of the night but if I click first it's basically me saying 'this isn't something to worry about' - it works if something unexpected startles him like dropping a cup, if I click he'll stop mid flee. Whether you could do similar with a child crying - don't know haven't tried it :)

FOAL farm in biggin hill is a lovely rescue. Our cat came from there

Last edited:
Try Emma's rabbit rescue in Luton, I know it's quite far but Emma is lovely and will help you if she can.

There was also a lady I think she has a rabbit called Nero who is looking for a bunnie to bond with her indoor bunnie, so it might be worth seeing if your girl would be suitable for her if she doesn't have any babies of her own.

I agree that the excessive drinking and the strange behaviour could be a health related issue rather than just bunny not liking the baby.

I would get tests at the vets.

If you do plan to rehome, then I agree that the rescue that bun came from would need to be contacted.

Sounds like you have had some good advice. I hope you are able to find a workable solution as you obviously care about your rabbit.

Back