• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Demesticated rabbits spotted at Epping forest

I don't intend to slat any animal charity I just say things based on my own experience and other people haven't had good experiences with them neither. Without going into it too much I think lack of funding has a part to play but at the same time I'd say they could be doing more. Maybe there are other reasons why they can't help people I don't really know. I have seen RSPCA vans about so they must be doing something. I will be conducting my own investigation into it to find out more at some point.

The PDSA on the other hand have been good but there is only so much they can do as they are limited due to funding but still offer what help or advice they can even if there not able to do something.

Yeah a lot of the RSPCA branches are individually funded and nothing to do with the national RSPCA so they will often differ, as mentioned with vets for pets, medivet etc

Why?

I don’t think the OP is first to say that about the RSPCA. Also pretty sure people are always slagging off Vets for Pets, Medivet etc even though some branches are better than others. I’ve had a really bad experience with the RSPCA.

LT is only speaking about their own experience.

Why ? Because I hate to think negativity about the RSPCA would stop someone reporting other situations like Boo's & Eddy's . This is the bit that makes me sad even though yes, I know, as with everything in life, all (branches) are not equal

I doubt that this is the first time I have posted in defence of the RSPCA but I'm not going to post every time a certain subject comes up on anything. How & when I engage with the forum in all areas depends on so many different variables, internal & external to the forum, I'm not a robot

I'm in Scotland we have the SSPCA up here.It's a totally separate charity and has no connection whatsoever to the RSPCA. I've only ever had to phone the SSPCA on one occasion when there was a poor fox in my garden with both back legs paralysed obviously a car casualty.They said someone from their wildlife unit would be there as soon as possible.They came within half an hour and confirmed the poor fox had a broken back.It would be humanely put to sleep at the centre. I've never heard of anything bad about the SSPCA.So hopefully they are a good charity.

Last edited:
I'm in Scotland we have the SSPCA up here.It's a totally separate charity and has no connection whatsoever to the RSPCA. I've only ever had to phone the SSPCA on one occasion when there was a poor fox in my garden with both back legs paralysed obviously a car casualty.They said someone from their wildlife unit would be there as soon as possible.They came within half an hour and confirmed the poor fox had a broken back.It would be humanely put to sleep at the centre. I've never heard of anything bad about the SSPCA.So hopefully they are a good charity.
That happened last summer to me, same thing, although rspca guy had a type of gun..? Not a proper one.. But also he did shoot it and kill it.. Idek tbh, it was over fast though.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Yeah a lot of the RSPCA branches are individually funded and nothing to do with the national RSPCA so they will often differ, as mentioned with vets for pets, medivet etc

The RSPCA directly funds its CENTRES. Local BRANCHES differ - they are effectively independent outlets run under the RSPCA banner, but can run by their own rues / criteria - so more like a franchise. That's why you get such differing eg rehoming rules between branches. It's also worth remembering this when you donate. Donations to 'RSPCA' go in central funds. If you want it to go to a local branch, you must specify that branch as it won't get it otherwise.

We have adverts for SSPCA up here on Scottish ITV .They always stipulate that if you donate to RSPCA none of the money will go to Scotland.However other Channels like ch4 and 5 etc still show RSPCA ads up here.They should clearly have a strap line saying England Wales charity.

The RSPCA in my area used to be brilliant 10 years ago although they did have a bit of a reputation for putting healthy animals to sleep back then but at the same time they helped lots of animals. I rescued a rabbit back in 2004 that was riddled with maggots and needed urgent attention and I took it to the RSPCA and they were brilliant. They got rid of all the maggots and the bunny was ready for me to collect within 3 days and the bunny lived a long happy life. They even had rabbit savvy vets back then.

These days the RSPCA wont help anybody but they put plenty of commercials on TV and always asking for donations. I called them about a fox that had also been hit by a car and its back leg was hanging of it I called the RSPCA they were very quick to ask for donations and tell me ways how I could donate money to them on the automated voice system and eventually when I did get speak to a person they wasn't interested and would not even come out.

I called them about an injured cat I found, same situation they wasn't interested. I know lots of people that have had bad experiences with the RSPCA and they also have a very low rating. I do think its a great shame, its not just the RSPCA but public services in general.

Last edited:
Its a real shame that bunnies are so hard to re-home because I could save more. If the RSPCA were helpful I could work with them.

Back