• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Demesticated rabbits spotted at Epping forest

Are the blood test results back yet? What were the levels shown for the two bunnies? I presume they included liver and kidney function?

I had a feeling from the first post that you would end up keeping any rabbits you caught. Please consider the fact that none of your rabbits are bonded yet and that should be a priority before taking on other rabbits. Also if you are looking to rehome either or both of these rabbits please ensure they are neutered first as it would be extremely irresponsible to rehome an un-neutered rabbit, and go through a rescue so that any prospective owners can be properly vetted, and as others have said most rescues have a "returns" policy if circumstances change, whereas you'll have no control over that if you rehome privately.

I had a feeling from the first post that you would end up keeping any rabbits you caught. Please consider the fact that none of your rabbits are bonded yet and that should be a priority before taking on other rabbits. Also if you are looking to rehome either or both of these rabbits please ensure they are neutered first as it would be extremely irresponsible to rehome an un-neutered rabbit, and go through a rescue so that any prospective owners can be properly vetted, and as others have said most rescues have a "returns" policy if circumstances change, whereas you'll have no control over that if you rehome privately.

I completely understand what you are saying. I really don't want to rehome either of them but I have to think about the amount of rabbits that I keep because having too many rabbits is not good.

Once the test results have come through and if all is well, the grey and white lop bunny will be spayed and I'll be keeping her but the black bunny I will ask about neutering with the vet also, maybe I can book both in and get a discount but I really must re-home the black bunny otherwise I could end up becoming a bunny hoarder. If there was any underlying health conditions of either bunny spaying and neutering at this point would have to wait.

You said your mum would rehome 'a few bunnies' so surely she'll have the black bunny?

Did I?

She said I could keep a few at her place temporarily while I had them checked out if that's what you mean :)

Shes not able to re=home bunnies. Its down to me to find the black bunny a home once he is ready. It will be a while anyway because he will need neutering once his test results come back and he will need sometime to heal.

You mentioned your mum likes bunnies. Do you think she will become attached to both of the forest bunnies and then have a hard time when you re-home them?
Will both Lacey and the new bunny be spayed and bonded with Lucky as a trio?

Last edited:
I am intrigued as to what the blood tests are testing for and why it’s taking so long to get the results back :?

I really would be very careful not to get sucked into taking on more and more Rabbits. As you rightly say that can create more problems rather than helping the situation.

I would get back in touch with the RSPCA Inspector whose details you have. He/she might be able to assist you by finding Rescue places for the two most recent Rabbits you have acquired. Then you can focus on meeting all the needs of Lacey, Lucky and Lamb Chop.

Inspector Morse Gives good advice for asking the RSPCA that visited you for help.

Last edited:

Good advice…

Good news I had the test results yesterday, glucose levels were a bit high on the black bunny but not at a level to be too concerned about as long as I continue with there hay diet they'll be fine. The Grey and White bunny was given a clean bit of health.

Unfortunately the RSPCA can not help me because they dropped my case as they can only deal with priority cases. I will try the PDSA or other animal charity to get help with rehoming the black bunny. Animal charities are pretty squeezed right now so they might not be able to help with the re-homing process.

Good news I had the test results yesterday, glucose levels were a bit high on the black bunny but not at a level to be too concerned about as long as I continue with there hay diet they'll be fine. The Grey and White bunny was given a clean bit of health.

Unfortunately the RSPCA can not help me because they dropped my case as they can only deal with priority cases. I will try the PDSA or other animal charity to get help with rehoming the black bunny. Animal charities are pretty squeezed right now so they might not be able to help with the re-homing process.

So have they been booked in for vaccinating & neutering now they have the all clear?
Glucose tests are usually 'instant'. It's odd to wait several days for them, and unhelpful for treatment purposes. I hope the black bunny is recovering now, and that your mum is coping with the new arrivals.

I suggest you get a charity or rescue organisation on board BEFORE you take on more rabbits that need rehoming, especially as you already knew the situation regarding rehoming from your previous rescues. Ideally, they would be better placed to address the dumping of pets in the first place. Then you can concentrate on the welfare of your own rabbits without risking their health, and still know that you have helped less fortunate pets get a more secure future.

Whilst I know a lot of members are giving good advice, it’s a repeated conversation in this thread now.

I’m hoping Lord Trellis is doing all they possibly can for the rabbits in their care.

They may be able to help if you can house them while a suitable owner is found.
Good luck! ☺️

So have they been booked in for vaccinating & neutering now they have the all clear?
Glucose tests are usually 'instant'. It's odd to wait several days for them, and unhelpful for treatment purposes. I hope the black bunny is recovering now, and that your mum is coping with the new arrivals.

I suggest you get a charity or rescue organisation on board BEFORE you take on more rabbits that need rehoming, especially as you already knew the situation regarding rehoming from your previous rescues. Ideally, they would be better placed to address the dumping of pets in the first place. Then you can concentrate on the welfare of your own rabbits without risking their health, and still know that you have helped less fortunate pets get a more secure future.

As that was the only thing I thought I just mention it. So vaccines have already been done its just a matter of booking them in for a spay and neuter. I will try get both done at the same time. I will see if I can book them an appointment today.

They may be able to help if you can house them while a suitable owner is found.
Good luck! ☺️

Unfortunately the RSPCA can't or wont help people. I have asked them but they said I need to contact a rescue which wasn't all that helpful. I already have a possible home in mind but its not set in stone just yet.

Unfortunately the RSPCA can't or wont help people. I have asked them but they said I need to contact a rescue which wasn't all that helpful. I already have a possible home in mind but its not set in stone just yet.

Sorry, I meant any rescue not specifically the RSPCA, but thats great you have an idea for them!

You mentioned your mum likes bunnies. Do you think she will become attached to both of the forest bunnies and then have a hard time when you re-home them?
Will both Lacey and the new bunny be spayed and bonded with Lucky as a trio?

I will try and bond them all together eventually. The last time I attempted to bond Lucky and Lacey it didn't go very well. I don't think she will get attached to them. I'm going to be bringing them home as soon as they have been spayed and neutered. I may have a home lined up for the black bunny but nothing is decided just yet.

I don't think its very fair or helpful for other forum members to hear you berate the RSPCA so much. I'd have neither of my current bunnies if it were not for the fantastic work of the RSPCA rescuing Boo from wandering the streets & Eddy from a hostile home environment

I don't think its very fair or helpful for other forum members to hear you berate the RSPCA so much. I'd have neither of my current bunnies if it were not for the fantastic work of the RSPCA rescuing Boo from wandering the streets & Eddy from a hostile home environment

Why?

I don’t think the OP is first to say that about the RSPCA. Also pretty sure people are always slagging off Vets for Pets, Medivet etc even though some branches are better than others. I’ve had a really bad experience with the RSPCA.

LT is only speaking about their own experience.

Last edited:
Why?

I don’t think the OP is first to say that about the RSPCA. Also pretty sure people are always slagging off Vets for Pets, Medivet etc even though some branches are better than others. I’ve had a really bad experience with the RSPCA.

LT is only speaking about their own experience.

Yeah, I've had both good and bad experiences with the RSPCA, but different branches, one good, one bad a few times!

Back