• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

crystal has slits in her ears!! :'(

they are both 4 years old, and taking pics soon!

85% of female rabbits will get uterine cancer by the time they're 4, and very quickly will go downhill and die! :(

If she's spayed now then, even if she has it, they should be able to catch it early, and hopefully there'd be a good outcome.

She's too old to have a litter safely, and isn't showable if she has cuts to her ears.

...I don't see what's stopping you! :wave:

Apollo had his ring removed when he was neutered but the ring moved freely and I'd of thought there would of been plenty of room to get pinchers or something in, it suggests to me the ring is too tight. :(

my vets charge around £52 for a spay.if the vet cannot get clippers under the ring then its definatley too tight.:( you should be able get your finger under comfortably.why do you want show her at 4yrs?just curious :)

we didn't really notice them, we don't have his number anymore. i have said to my mum about spaying, she looks like she's thinking about it, but she isn't exacly young anymore! plus it will be expensive. can anyone give me a breif idea of the price of this?:)

Cheaper than treating cancer! ;)

Vets vary. Anything from £45+. Make sure you go to a rabbit savvy vet though.

ok thanks! i will DEFINITLEY work on my mum!!:D i don't know about showing her, she is a pedigree show nethie but i just enter her in the pet class at northumberland county show! (zoe came 1st! and crystal came 3rd in 2009!):D

In my 'very limited' experience the only cause of slits in the ears have been when two buns are fighting and the teeth slice into the ears.

This happened to Todd when I was trying to bond him. He ended up with lots of 'slits' in his ears from her teeth and one went through a vein.

Luckily Todd's have all healed up but you can still see the scars. I should imagine a very thick tear may heal leaving a slit perhaps :?

Just to add - he's now happily bonded with a less feisty bun :love:

maybe some close up pictures of her deformed leg and ears would help us find the cause of them. Plus some cute ones too would be nice :D

You only need the ring if you're showing her in the main show and it sounds like other issues would rule that out anyway. If the ring is quite tight and the bun wriggly then a vet might be reluctant to remove it with her awake. You might be able to find a vet more used to doing it though that's more confident :)

ok thanks! i will DEFINITLEY work on my mum!!:D i don't know about showing her, she is a pedigree show nethie but i just enter her in the pet class at northumberland county show! (zoe came 1st! and crystal came 3rd in 2009!):D

You entered Crystal in a show in 2009 but have only just wondered about her ears and foot?

You entered Crystal in a show in 2009 but have only just wondered about her ears and foot?

NO! we took her to the vets years ago, but they said there's nothing there and that she's a hypocondreact (a bit) that's what they said.:shock:

:(BTW everyone, my mum said it's not going to happen, Crystal's fine and she'll hopefully never get a disease, and she said she read it up and not every rabbit dies and gets infected from it. btw when my mum says no there's no changing it! thanks for the replys:)

Is the 'ring' leg curled up all the time or just when you try check? Some buns hate having their legs touched and try keep them tucked in as much as possible

It's very possible the ring could be hurting her, could you get someone else to hold her whilst you check? The fur can appear a bit thinner under a ring but it shouldnt be bald and certainly not sore. And if you can't twist it round easily there's a good chance it's tight on her, this could be the case if she's overweight

:(BTW everyone, my mum said it's not going to happen, Crystal's fine and she'll hopefully never get a disease, and she said she read it up and not every rabbit dies and gets infected from it. btw when my mum says no there's no changing it! thanks for the replys:)

Oh dear, thats a real shame for Crystal. Why is your mum so anti-spaying? is it the price of the operation or some other reason if you don't mind me asking?

Such a shame your mum cant be convinced to yet her spayed. It would save you alot of money for treating cancer or fight injuries in the future, and more importantly is what is best for Crystal.
As others have said Im pretty certain she needs to have that ring off. If you get her spayed it can be done while shes asleep.
Oh and I think a new vet is in order. A vet who calls any animal a hypochondriac is useless.
Good luck :wave:

Such a shame your mum cant be convinced to yet her spayed. It would save you alot of money for treating cancer or fight injuries in the future, and more importantly is what is best for Crystal.
As others have said Im pretty certain she needs to have that ring off. If you get her spayed it can be done while shes asleep.
Oh and I think a new vet is in order. A vet who calls any animal a hypochondriac is useless.
Good luck :wave:

I know! i really want her spayed and whilst she's under get the ring removed! I'm going to be checking her up and taking piccies, because she comes in for jumping training anywayz thanks x i will tell my mum! :oops:

Is the 'ring' leg curled up all the time or just when you try check? Some buns hate having their legs touched and try keep them tucked in as much as possible

It's very possible the ring could be hurting her, could you get someone else to hold her whilst you check? The fur can appear a bit thinner under a ring but it shouldnt be bald and certainly not sore. And if you can't twist it round easily there's a good chance it's tight on her, this could be the case if she's overweight

she always has her foot that way, the other one is perefectly fine!:cry:

Back