• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Covering hutch windows - ventilation

Julia25

Alpha Buck
I got myself a large sheet of transparent plastic sheet (flimsy).

I'm going to cut it up into the sizes of the hutch doors so that it prevents wind and rain, but I'm worried about ventilation.

I have this hutch from p@h (i understand thats its a small hutch, i got it second hand for free a year back)

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/p...d-guinea-pigs-by-pets-at-home-(in-store-only)

Im going to cover the doors but not sure if i should cover the middle sections? I was going to use this for ventilation as i still have to be able to open the doors etc.

I have the bottom left door always open as it leads out into the run, if i cover all the doors but have that door open 24/7 would that be sufficient ventilation, Keep in mind that there are small slits where the hutch doors swing open that i will not be covering.

Then with the left-over plastic sheeting i was going to attach it to the the side of the run to prevent big gusts of wind reaching the hutch.

The hutch is against a shed and fence on one side. The run goes in a circle around the front.

OR

I could just have the whole plastic sheet roll down over the hutch, but then its gets grubby from the leaves that rest on top of the hutch etc and have it pulled down over the hutch. But that would be difficult to keep the door downstairs open for the run.

I definitely think that covering all but the open door would be sufficient ventilation. As long as any covering to the run/hutch is not sealed around the edges there will be adequate ventilation, so having an entire door open will give great ventilation.

I would definitely recommend covering the side of the run with the sheet too - I've done this for a few years and it stops the driving rain getting in, and provides a lot of wind protection!

Back