• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could a rabbit ever be safe free ranging permanently?

Heather and Barty would never be able to free range with or without supervision :( Our garden is simply way to big to fence off, we have a fox who trots through quite often, cats visit and we've even had the odd dog escape from their owner walking them along the footpath and they've found their way into our garden :shock:

I think its quite hard to decide what benefits outweigh the risks etc.. Should we, as responsible pet owners be providing a predetor proof run which is large enough for our bunnies to behave naturally? I myself wouldn't trust my own rabbit to bolt into the shelter provided if a fox/cat/dog appeared, many bunnies will just freeze from the fear or dart about wildly. :(

It is not something I would do, although prehaps if I lived in a smaller garden with very high brick walls all around maybe I would change my mind? :?

To those saying the benefits outweighed the risks, do you think you'd still be saying the same IF a fox had got your rabbit though?

i actually think a free rabbit stands a better chance from a fox attack than a sitting target in a hutch :cry: obviously im not talking about the amazing setups on here but a bloke i used to work with had a hutch with a separate run... the fox came at night and killed his bunny that was in the hutch. the two girls he has now often freerange during the day in the garden and are still alive :D

flying predators are probably more of a worry than a fox here in the country, ive seen them scanning the fields for wild rabbits :(

My garden is small and escape proof it's perfect for free ranging.
The left wall is a 6.5ft wooden fence and the right fence is 5 ft plus a 3 ft hedge on top of that fence so that wall+hedge is 8ft.

My garden isn't cat of fox proof though, cats and foxes can jump on the left side wall.

I don't believe a hutch is secure as a fox can go in it even though your bun runs inside for cover.

Cat flaps can be accessed by cats so they're not really protective.

There are only a few options to prevent cats and foxes from coming into the garden.

1)Really really high walls, but this may not always work as cats can climb like spiders
2)your whole garden is an aviary [I wish mine were]
3)Electronic deters. The disadvantage of this is neighbour hood cats can be disturbed, and foxes can get immune to the waves by getting and get used to it.

The left wall is a 6.5ft wooden fence and the right fence is 5 ft plus a 3 ft hedge on top of that fence so that wall+hedge is 8ft.

My garden isn't cat of fox proof though, cats and foxes can jump on the left side wall.

I don't believe a hutch is secure as a fox can go in it even though your bun runs inside for cover.

There are only a few options to prevent cats and foxes from coming into the garden.

1)Really really high walls, but this may not always work as cats can climb like spiders
3)Electronic deters. The disadvantage of this is neighbour hood cats can be disturbed, and foxes can get immune to the waves by getting and get used to it.

It would be lovely for the bunnies but I couldn't do it personally, foxes can climb any height of fence. Two of my rabbits were killed by a fox and I couldn't bear to risk it again.

I think not. Mine are free range when I can supervise them and it's a joy to watch their antics. However, I think (maybe deluded but whatever) that they appreciate the security of being locked up away from predators at night and when I'm not around.

I wouldnt now no, but my old bun thumper was wild :lol: well he had a hutch which was opened 24/7 but he never used it! he was free range all the time!!
he lived to 13!!

I let mine "free range" when I'm at home, but they always have to go in at night, or when I'm out as we have a lot of cats around. "In" is shed with catflap to attached run. I don't always watch them when out, but often do, and as someone else said, it's a joy to watch them binkying. Oliver actually chases birds if they come in the garden and gets annoyed when they fly up and perch on the fence! The other 2 run like mad - they're scared of everything and are very fast on their paws. There used to be a cat in the neighbourhood who used to come into the garden, and we'd watch from the window and they seemed to get on ok with the cat! Topsy was still alive then, and no cat would have messed with her! We've been doing it this way for about 5 years now. Maybe if I'd had a problem I'd feel differently but I just love them having a bit of freedom.

I've got 14 bunnies that free range all day (together).They get let out about 7am and locked up at night just before dark falls. Same with my chickens.

I've previously lost rabbits and chickens to foxes so I'll never risk night time free ranging. A few hours a night to save their lives is better than a short life free ranging 24/7. They have all day running around.

My friend had 2 bunnies that free ranged permanently for over 2 years, I don't think it's something I would be comfortable with, although I bet the bunnies loved it.

My garden is very secure and my bunnies free range from 6.30 am until 9.30 pm at the moment,they then go into a large shed or a run,depending on how hot it is.My wildy Baby will go in the shed but not in the run,he goes under the deck until morning.My rabbits are put away at night because we used to have a fox problem but we have had no foxes around here now for about four years.I still wouldnt leave my rabbits out as there are a lot of cats which we never see in the day roam around the garden at night and they could easily terrorise my buns even though they are used to cats plus I would be asleep and wouldnt hear if they were in trouble,better to be safe than sorry

I would never allow my bunny to free range outside without supervision. I probably wouldn't let him at all to be honest. Our garden is full of raised flowerbeds which he could be jumping on and off of, which is fine, but the obscured view means you'd never be able to keep an eye on him. Also millions of plants, no idea what they are (parents garden). And just not very safe in general, fences etc probably aren't very secure, and he could get under the gate in the driveway out into the road! Add on the millions of cats that come in and out of our garden, and it is a total no-no! He was sat on the sofa with me the other day, and the big ginger and white cat that hangs about walked past the patio doors; he saw and he jumped off the sofa and hid behind it :( poor thing!

I wouldn't do it because of the size of my garden and where I live (too many urban foxes and cats), but my in-laws were given a free-ranging bunny that lived for years and years in their backgarden.

They live in Norfolk right by the coast in the middle of countryside.

Foxes don't seem to be a problem there at all and the bunny had a hutch if it wanted to go in and numerous hidey holes including under the garage, shed, summerhouse etc.

They also had their own dog and cat which perhaps marked their territory/put off other cats etc?

Back