• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Coughing after Drinking

Do many rabbits cough after a drink?

Rodney has been drinking a bit more lately with his moult and I've noticed both buns prefer using this water bowl which means they bend down more.

He sometimes coughs after once or twice and then cleans his face.

Its scary and I'm very tempted to remove the water station as my non practical mind can't work out how to change it so he doesn't have to bend over as much.

I'm thinking of booking him a check up to make sure he's ok but I'm well aware I take them in so frequently because I question everything. Hubby says its because he's snorting a bit up his nose and then he's clearing it out and its fine.

I'm terrified it means he's developed a heart problem and he already has scarred lungs poor boy. Or that he's at risk of aspirating and getting pneumonia like humans can?

It is only this water bowl so maybe it's just too low? He wouldn't pose so Blossom did it instead.
bfce92610416c5c5260fca6c0acd6e58.jpg
4dd8bd82328b50f9007b4661549356ef.jpg

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I wonder if it's not so much the height but the space they have to lean over to get to the bowl? Maybe try just offering water in a simple bowl, not in a stand, and see if it stops - or if you already have another option (which it sounds like you do) then just stop offering water from this one? I can see how the edge might just inhibit the free swallowing a little, potentially, especially if breathing isn't as easy as it could be. Worth a try?

I wonder if it's not so much the height but the space they have to lean over to get to the bowl? Maybe try just offering water in a simple bowl, not in a stand, and see if it stops - or if you already have another option (which it sounds like you do) then just stop offering water from this one? I can see how the edge might just inhibit the free swallowing a little, potentially, especially if breathing isn't as easy as it could be. Worth a try?
To be honest that what was I was thinking.

I do have some other options for them now so I could replace this one. Its funny he never used it when it was in their enclosure so I always had a bowl in there too.

But now its in the lounge he prefers it over any of the other options but I wonder if that's just because its in here with me so he doesn't have to go very far.

I’d agree, I would try an ordinary bowl. I’ve used large ceramic dog bowls, pasta dishes and salad bowls in the past, anything heavy and stable that they can’t tip up.

Agree. I hope this is the reason he coughs.

Thanks everyone I've swapped it for a normal bowl today and Rodney is now hopping through the holes in the other one showing off his tricks [emoji1787]

Back