• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Costs of 6+buns

we have a fair few different animals and scarifce holidays days out fashion and everything else.
We also have a great vet who gives us discount on everything and doesnt charge us VAT aswell.

I have 7 bunnies, 2 hamsters, 4 tortoises and 3 piggies.

I am lucky as i dont have a mortgage, which means we can usually find money for emergency vet bills. If we dont have spare cash, i have savings. Food/hay/bedding wise, hay and bedding are farmer hay and hemcore. Food is SS which is about the biggest outgoing apart from vet bills. My vet is very resonable though :D

What vet do you use? If you don't mind me nosing :roll:
14 buns...
I pay for all the bun stuff from my wages, which never total more than £100 a week
Food - £20 a month
Hay - £10
Fresh foods - £20-30
Vet bills - £50-ish..Been waaaaay more recently
Spent £500 in the last month at my vets :shock:
Toys/Wood for hutches etc - £10 - £15

Another thing that helps with me is that I'm a great big bunny scrounger....I tell people off at work if they mention throwing something away that I could give the buns ( a friend was pruning her apple tree and told me she'd burnt the wood!! I nearly fainted..lol) as a result they keep things for me .

My next door neighbour is moving and house clearing so I've scrounged some nice wooden boxes and a big wicker laundry basket for the bunnies not to mention a load of hutch building wood from dismantling a fort type playhouse at the end of his garden and loads of weeds too.....:lol:

I have 8 buns of my own, two fosters, three dogs a tortoise and a cockatiel.

I work two days a week to pay for the animals - if I didn't have the animals I wouldn't have to work, but then I wouldn't enjoy life either without them!

I haven't actually added up the true cost as I reckon it's that high that ignorance is bliss!!

What vet do you use? If you don't mind me nosing :roll:

Of course i dont mind. I use Pets Friend, which is in Stenhousemuir. The vet is called David Charity. He is fab, he examines all the bunnies on the floor so there is no risk of jumping off the table :). He gives me discounts on stuff too because im a good customer :lol:

Working at a vets and getting awesome staff discount really helps... my last lot of vaccines cost £3 each :)

I only have 2 bunnies and I seem to be spending more a month than many of you with 6+ :oops: (and I live on a low income). Think I need to cut back a lot.

£16 insurance
£27 DFH large bale meadow hay
£15 approx 4 bags green oat hay
£3 ish peppermint hay
£16 2 bags megazorb
£5 roughly on A&P pellets (I buy a bag every 3 months for £15)
£2 veg - most of it free from garden at the moment

£84 :shock::shock::shock::oops:

Plus treats and toys Hangs head in shame :lol:

Of course i dont mind. I use Pets Friend, which is in Stenhousemuir. The vet is called David Charity. He is fab, he examines all the bunnies on the floor so there is no risk of jumping off the table :). He gives me discounts on stuff too because im a good customer :lol:
Is that the one over the road near the doctors? (I'm trying to visualise it :lol:)
I used them to have my cat neutered once, the vet was brill :D
I used the one opposite Blockbuster in town once for a rat with a chest infection... £46 for the consultation and a course of Baytril and Metacam :shock:

My current vet is amazing. They only charge £8.50 for the consultation, and £11 per vaccination, plus she always orders Lapinject for me 'specially :roll: :oops:

I only have 2 bunnies and I seem to be spending more a month than many of you with 6+ :oops: (and I live on a low income). Think I need to cut back a lot.

£16 insurance
£27 DFH large bale meadow hay
£15 approx 4 bags green oat hay
£3 ish peppermint hay
£16 2 bags megazorb
£5 roughly on A&P pellets (I buy a bag every 3 months for £15)
£2 veg - most of it free from garden at the moment

£84 :shock::shock::shock::oops:

Plus treats and toys Hangs head in shame :lol:

A bag of megazorb per bun per month :shock: Ours is split between 8 animals and one bag lasts over a month :lol: Your buns must have spotless trays at all time hehe :lol:

Is that the one over the road near the doctors? (I'm trying to visualise it :lol:)
I used them to have my cat neutered once, the vet was brill :D
I used the one opposite Blockbuster in town once for a rat with a chest infection... £46 for the consultation and a course of Baytril and Metacam :shock:

My current vet is amazing. They only charge £8.50 for the consultation, and £11 per vaccination, plus she always orders Lapinject for me 'specially :roll: :oops:

Thats right :D. It used to be David Findlays (i wasnt so keen on him), then David Charity took over and he is amazing! When he performs ops he puts tubing in so if your pet stopd breathing he can give them mouth to mouth.

The one opposite Blockbuster (Grahams Road) are pretty useless i agree and expensive. I have only used them once when a bunny was dumped at my work and i needed the nearest vet, he was scabby with mites and the vet refused to touch him making me lift him etc :roll:.

Your new vet sounds great, very resonable too :D.

I assume you used to live up this end then? :D

Thats right :D. It used to be David Findlays (i wasnt so keen on him), then David Charity took over and he is amazing! When he performs ops he puts tubing in so if your pet stopd breathing he can give them mouth to mouth.

The one opposite Blockbuster (Grahams Road) are pretty useless i agree and expensive. I have only used them once when a bunny was dumped at my work and i needed the nearest vet, he was scabby with mites and the vet refused to touch him making me lift him etc :roll:.

Your new vet sounds great, very resonable too :D.

I assume you used to live up this end then? :D

:lol:How did you guess?:roll: Carronshore :oops: Lived there for 18 months with my ex :D
Nice enough place, just a shame about some of the people :lol:

:lol:How did you guess?:roll: Carronshore :oops: Lived there for 18 months with my ex :D
Nice enough place, just a shame about some of the people :lol:

Ah cool :D. Carronshore is ok, one of my friends lives there. I suppose its like everywhere, good bits and not so good bits. I am in Stenhousemuir :D. Luckily dont get much bother from anyone as i appear to live on an OAP street :oops: :lol:

£15:shock: for A+P I only pay £8.50 for mine!!

I get mine online (as I've no transport) so only pay £8.15 per bag, but postage is £7 :(

A bag of megazorb per bun per month :shock: Ours is split between 8 animals and one bag lasts over a month :lol: Your buns must have spotless trays at all time hehe :lol:

I don't know how I get through so much of it compared to the rest of you :oops: I change their litter trays twice in 24hrs, and put three big scoops of megazorb in each one so there's a reasonable amount covering the bottom. Usually I'm onto a new bag within 2 weeks, sometimes only 10 days :shock: If I leave their trays for 24hrs they're overflowing! I blame Daisy's big bunny poos :lol:

I don't know how I get through so much of it compared to the rest of you :oops: I change their litter trays twice in 24hrs, and put three big scoops of megazorb in each one so there's a reasonable amount covering the bottom. Usually I'm onto a new bag within 2 weeks, sometimes only 10 days :shock: If I leave their trays for 24hrs they're overflowing! I blame Daisy's big bunny poos :lol:

You must have bigger litter trays than me then probably as it only takes 1 scoop to fill/overfill our trays. Our trays are all standard cat litter trays and the rabbits have 4 of them alone and get cleaned out every 3 days. I've not noticed a smell with ours even after 3 days but with yours being in the house I guess it would be alot more obvious :lol:

Ah cool :D. Carronshore is ok, one of my friends lives there. I suppose its like everywhere, good bits and not so good bits. I am in Stenhousemuir :D. Luckily dont get much bother from anyone as i appear to live on an OAP street :oops: :lol:

:lol: I used to live next door to druggies :roll:
I used to work for TSC in Larbert...Easiest job I've ever had :lol:

I get mine online (as I've no transport) so only pay £8.15 per bag, but postage is £7 :(

Have you tried The Hay Experts for Megazorb as it is cheaper and the postage is too.

We've got 8 buns. When i worked full time I saved £50 a month for bunny emergencies. I recently left my job so cant do that anymore, but will try & put some money aside each month.

We do have quite a busy social life but we dont spend ridiculous amounts when we go out. A big vets bill this year meant we didnt get a summer holiday, but happy to sacrifice that for the buns!!

I am alarmed at what some of you spend on hay!! I pay £3 for a huge bag & it lasts me weeks!!

Where in Lancs are you, Im sure we can find somewhere that will deliver it for less than£7. I buy everything in bulk, and work out that 2 bales of hay, 2 megazorb and a bag of A+P will last around 3 months. So I pay £3.50 delivery for all that!! Mine comes from a horse supplier, but they delivery to my house and know its for my buns :)

Back