• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cost of Clipping rabbit's back teeth (molar)

Thank you. She is munching on veggies and eating little hay so she still is not eating as much as she used to. Her poop is also very tiny so I am still worried about her. Hopefully she will keep getting better.
I'm sorry she's still not feeling well. It's very understandable that you're still worried about her. Like Orenoko said, if it is her teeth, it's not something that can wait, and either way, since she's not eating as much as usual and her poops are very tiny, I'd really recommend getting that second opinion as soon as you can. If you can do it tomorrow that would be best. It wouldn't be good to leave her like this all weekend as you risk her guts slowing down so much that she'll be very, very ill and you'd have to see an emergency vet.

I agree with those saying that she should be taken in asap. Rabbits can deteriorate very rapidly. I would try to get an appointment for tomorrow or Saturday if you can.

Not nagging, but just to reiterate what has already been said - she needs to be seen urgently. What area are you - there may be someone here who could suggest/recommend a vet more knowledgeable with rabbits. They are so fragile.

I live in London, and I’d recommend Twickenham Vets, CJ Hall (although I prefer Christabel at Twickenham Vets) and or the RVS in Camden. You should be able to get an apt at one of these at short notice.

PM if you need more info.

I live in London, and I’d recommend Twickenham Vets, CJ Hall (although I prefer Christabel at Twickenham Vets) and or the RVS in Camden. You should be able to get an apt at one of these at short notice.

Ah, I must have missed that she lives in London.

Yes West London, but you may be able to recommend others. I’ve been to so many vets in London before finding a decent one! :D

Yes West London, but you may be able to recommend others. I’ve been to so many vets in London before finding a decent one! :D

What you have said is absolutely fine. Its just that in my lockdown fog I have just asked Eris where she lives in case someone can recommend a vet. I'm in Hampshire so I'm no good to her.

Thank you. I will call them tomorrow morning as soon as they open. I really hope they can get appointment one the same day or Saturday. I have been calling around the rabbit welfare recommended one around London but they either want my vet to refer to them or they only have appointments later in the week.

Good luck, and let us know if you’re able to get an apt for your bunny.

I should add that Yorram at Medivet Richmond is also great, but I wouldn’t go with anyone else at the practice.

Last edited:
Thank you. I will call them tomorrow morning as soon as they open. I really hope they can get appointment one the same day or Saturday. I have been calling around the rabbit welfare recommended one around London but they either want my vet to refer to them or they only have appointments later in the week.

Its good practice for your old vet to share notes with your new one, if any of the ones tomorrow ask for a referral let them know your happy to consent to info sharing & transfer from one vet to another. Some vets charge for this, some don't. They are quite wary (understandably) about pets recieving treatment from more than one practice

I hope you can get an urgent appointment today. Can you just change vets rather than have a referral?

Just a quick update for everyone. Eris is doing really well. I woke up to her poop and pee on top of my duvet. I am not sure if that was her revenge for taking her to vet or for trying to syringe feed her critical care (keyword "trying" as she kept pushing it out of her mouth). She is litter trained so I am pretty sure pooping and peeing on my duvet was intentional. I thought she had forgiven me as she joined me in bed last night :lol:. Her litter also had lots of different sized poops. Yesterday I mixed pro-c probiotic with her water which might have helped but she was also eating lots of veggie and I kept seeing her go in and out of her litter box which is also where I keep her hay. She is also back to being feisty, playing with toys and running around. So there is a significant improvement. Last night I did hear her grinding her teeth so I think she is still feeling discomfort.

I called the vet mentioned in the thread. Twickenham appointment is only available from 2nd May, CJ hall 19th April, Medivet Richmond said few weeks later as they are short staff. I also called Ewell Vet Centre, Oak Barn Vets, Beaumont Sainsbury Animal Hospital and The Animal Clinic(Blackheath) but none of them had early enough appointment. The nearest appointment was given by Oak Barn Vets which was 15th April and I don't want to wait that long so I called back my vet office and asked them if they can file the teeth rather then clip it. The receptionist said a nurse would call me back, I am still waiting to get call back. Will call them again tomorrow. Appointment wise they said they might be able to do it early next week.

Thank you guys for all your help. I really appreciate it and so does Eris :)

Just a quick update for everyone. Eris is doing really well. I woke up to her poop and pee on top of my duvet. I am not sure if that was her revenge for taking her to vet or for trying to syringe feed her critical care (keyword "trying" as she kept pushing it out of her mouth). She is litter trained so I am pretty sure pooping and peeing on my duvet was intentional. I thought she had forgiven me as she joined me in bed last night :lol:. Her litter also had lots of different sized poops. Yesterday I mixed pro-c probiotic with her water which might have helped but she was also eating lots of veggie and I kept seeing her go in and out of her litter box which is also where I keep her hay. She is also back to being feisty, playing with toys and running around. So there is a significant improvement. Last night I did hear her grinding her teeth so I think she is still feeling discomfort.

I called the vet mentioned in the thread. Twickenham appointment is only available from 2nd May, CJ hall 19th April, Medivet Richmond said few weeks later as they are short staff. I also called Ewell Vet Centre, Oak Barn Vets, Beaumont Sainsbury Animal Hospital and The Animal Clinic(Blackheath) but none of them had early enough appointment. The nearest appointment was given by Oak Barn Vets which was 15th April and I don't want to wait that long so I called back my vet office and asked them if they can file the teeth rather then clip it. The receptionist said a nurse would call me back, I am still waiting to get call back. Will call them again tomorrow. Appointment wise they said they might be able to do it early next week.

Thank you guys for all your help. I really appreciate it and so does Eris :)

So pleased there has been a significant improvement - good girl, even if she did make your bed in to a loo

TBH I'd be wary of getting her in with your existing vet - as Omi said rexes rarely have dental problems I think you need a second opinion as it may well have been something else. Is her eating now normal for her? And wow, you've tried so hard getting another app. I expect others will have some good advice

Oh, I'm so glad Eris is doing so much better! :D Thank you for keeping us updated! I'm sorry she took revenge on your bed, though...

Like the others, I'd still recommend getting that second opinion, as your current vet just doesn't seem knowledgeable enough about rabbits. Plus, if it was her molars that were causing her to not eat well, it's unlikely that she'd suddenly feel much better, so I'm skeptical about her really having molar spurs. Now that Eris is doing well, you have more time, so you could take one of those later appointments at one of the vets you called (well done on calling so many! I'm sorry none of them had a spot open for Eris right away, though). Since you heard her grind her teeth and you think she's still feeling some discomfort, definitely continue to keep a close eye on her, but since she's eating and pooping well now I think you can afford to wait for an appointment with a different vet.

Back