• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Correct term for rabbits Neutering

Do Rescues confuse you with the word Neutered

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just to be pedantic....
Technically 'spay' means to remove the gonads of EITHER sex, so can be applied to males or females, but just tends to be used for females in the UK. Castrate and ovariectomy (or ovariohysterectomy) are gender-specific terms.
Neutered as others have said means rendering an animal 'neutral', ie removing reproductive organs of either sex.

to be fiar if it confuses anyone it might be better to start putting spay/neuter just to make it easier rahter than ridiculing i personally dont think its confusing but the person reading evidently did.x

And sod it just put ion big bold letters THEY DON'T HAVE ANY BITS LEFT SO CAN'T HAVE BABIES

:lol::lol::lol: love that

i always used to forget the term spay for females:oops: neuter is just easy to remember how blimin picky
when i drill prosective new owner the most common way they ask is have the buns been DONE, so does it really matter i dont get how it confuses people i really dont

Just to be pedantic....
Technically 'spay' means to remove the gonads of EITHER sex, so can be applied to males or females, but just tends to be used for females in the UK. Castrate and ovariectomy (or ovariohysterectomy) are gender-specific terms.
Neutered as others have said means rendering an animal 'neutral', ie removing reproductive organs of either sex.

Oooh, I didn't know that. :):)

I still think you should leave it as neutered - it's the correct term for either sex and you shouldn't change it just because one person found it confusing. ;) Just politely thank them for their email and tell them that it's correct as is.

Oooh, I didn't know that. :):)

I still think you should leave it as neutered - it's the correct term for either sex and you shouldn't change it just because one person found it confusing. ;) Just politely thank them for their email and tell them that it's correct as is.

Going on the email I don't think they even found it confusing, they were just being a bloody pedant!

If it were me they'd be getting an equally snotty reply, correcting all their errors in spelling :lol:

give them an english lesson :lol: as far as im concerned neuter refers to either
and if sex of rabbit already provided -well its not rocket science!

Just to be pedantic....

To be pedantic too :lol: Dictionary reference for spay seems to be "to remove the ovaries of"

To be pedantic too :lol: Dictionary reference for spay seems to be "to remove the ovaries of"

Can I out-pedant you and say mine was a medical dictionary definition :p
i think standard use is for female neuter but the original meaning was for either (there's been an ongoing debate on one of the vet forums as abroad 'spay' is used for either sex and us Brits get very confused...)

Can I out-pedant you and say mine was a medical dictionary definition :p
i think standard use is for female neuter but the original meaning was for either (there's been an ongoing debate on one of the vet forums as abroad 'spay' is used for either sex and us Brits get very confused...)

Well I was very pendatic in the first place :lol: and searched about 5-10 of each normal and medical dictionaries online and they all stated removal of ovaries (or a male red deer in his third year :shock:)
I have found several that refer to castrate in terms of both male and female sterilisation though ;)

Well I was very pendatic in the first place :lol: and searched about 5-10 of each normal and medical dictionaries online and they all stated removal of ovaries (or a male red deer in his third year :shock:)
I have found several that refer to castrate in terms of both male and female sterilisation though ;)

Yes, I heard that, too. One of our vets in Germany said that "castrate" means to remove the testicles or ovaries, while "sterilise" means to cut through the tubes, but not to remove the bits. Not sure if that is the original meaning, though.

Although I'm a woman I really don't like the term "fixing a male" as if there was something wrong with them in the first place:roll:

Blokes must hate that term:lol:

Back