• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Corn on the cob...........

Great, I am feeling really good for murdering my babies now!! :cry::cry:

I rang the vets and they said they cant do anything until they are ill....... :cry::cry::cry: I feel awful.

yes they aren't a good treat, as they are indigetable and can easily cause a blockage, hopefully your buns will be fine, but not to feed them again in future, i once stopped a lady and man in PAH from buying some, as they thought they looked a tasty treat for their chinchillas, i explained about i had rabbits and why i wouldn't feed them, soo they didn't buy them

Are they showing any signs of being poorly? I wouldn't worry until then :)

I've given them to my two in the past before I found out that they're not ideal and they were fine. Don't worry until you need to, you gave them with the best intentions :)

Don;t feel bad hon....I've fed them to Blue and Marnie before and not thought anything of it. I wouldn't now though after reading this.
Just keep an eye on them :wave:

Are they showing any signs of being poorly? I wouldn't worry until then :)

I've given them to my two in the past before I found out that they're not ideal and they were fine. Don't worry until you need to, you gave them with the best intentions :)

Yes ditto this, the first doe I adopted often had a corn on the cob attached to her hutch :roll: before I adopted her, she didn't eat the kernals I don't think as they were all over the floor mostly however, she must have eaten a bit and it didn't affect her. I am sure you'll be fine, if not send the vet bill to wherever you bought them from. Not that it is the 'point' but, try not to worry I am sure they will be OK, lots of hay and some wet greens to push it through.

I can't actually understand why PAH for example are selling them, especially as they have a vet employed to oversee 'the product range' :?

Mainly, because they are rubbish! It does seem odd that there is a vet that ok's the product range though, but then again, unless said vet is particularly knowledgable about rabbits and their dietary needs/requirements, perhaps they genuinely think they are ok :roll:

Great, I am feeling really good for murdering my babies now!! :cry::cry:

I rang the vets and they said they cant do anything until they are ill....... :cry::cry::cry: I feel awful.

I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel worse!

Loads of people give them to their pets everyday, otherwise PAH would stop selling them (you know how they love their profits) and they don't cause them any problems, for the most part. It's only because we all know so much about what they should and shouldn't have, and more importantly, the reasons why that we panic if we find out they've had something they shouldn't, even though hundreds of others eat things they're not supposed to with no ill effect.

Your buns will be fine, but I'm sure you'll keep an extra close eye on them anyway!

xxx

Well, they are still alive and it has been more than 24 hours, eating, peeing, pooing and behaving as normal..... are they out of the woods then?

I niavely bought some for Barley (and Dolly for that matter), but lets say Barley wasn't well for a while (make that weeks of not being right and lots of vet fees later), after the second time of eating it, even though I only let him have a little bit. Dolly was fine and Barley eventually made a full recovery.

Of course I don't know that it was due to the corn on the cob, but it was the only thing that had changed in his diet/routine. Lets say I would never feed them to any bunny again.

Hannah :)

I've never bought the dried stuff but I have given them frsh corn before. In fact, my Mum has literally just popped her head round my door and told me she's putting some by the back door for them! :lol:

They don't get hardly any of the yellow bits - but they love the leaves and the little stringy bits that are inside the leaves. :) (I assume they're safe!!)

Mine have had it before and not had any problems, but I too have since heard they aren't too good a treat. Hammies love them though!

What a pain, I just bought three lots of those sun dried corn on the cobs last weekend for the buns, had no idea they weren't so good for them. Haven't had any problems with them I am happy to say. So, how does shepherds pie, mash and dried corn sound for my dinner tonight?!! Or can they be fed to the birds do u think??

Well, they are still alive and it has been more than 24 hours, eating, peeing, pooing and behaving as normal..... are they out of the woods then?

don't get yourself in a knot about it, my lot eat stuff all the time when they shouldn't and live to tell the tale! I wouldn't worry about it as its more than likely passed their system, especially if they are eating/drinking/pooping fine.

They sell them in petshops all over and although i wouldnt give them ive never heard of any fatalities from a bun eating them so dont beat yourself up. xxx

don't get yourself in a knot about it, my lot eat stuff all the time when they shouldn't and live to tell the tale! I wouldn't worry about it as its more than likely passed their system, especially if they are eating/drinking/pooping fine.

This is the only time Rimmi was given a bad food instead of stealing it for once. I swear my guys have 9 lives, Rimmis pinched tea, toast, pepsi, licked plates that had curry on....biscuits....... Not to mention my Lindt chocolate rabbit he helped himself too while on a Houdini mission!! I don't know how he's still here! :roll: but I thank god everyday, i love him so much, and binky monster, I mean, Win. I don't know what I would do if I had harmed either of them :cry: there is nobun like them. :love:

What a pain, I just bought three lots of those sun dried corn on the cobs last weekend for the buns, had no idea they weren't so good for them. Haven't had any problems with them I am happy to say. So, how does shepherds pie, mash and dried corn sound for my dinner tonight?!! Or can they be fed to the birds do u think??

Birds and hams ok apparently! ;) I'm emailing 'naturals' my disapproval!

They sell them in petshops all over and although i wouldnt give them ive never heard of any fatalities from a bun eating them so dont beat yourself up. xxx

When I read they gave buns blockages and looked up to see my two (small buns) had wolfed down more than half, I really did think I had killed them. I didn't sleep last night. I don't think they were pleased with me sitting with them until the small hours! I got some evil glares! Lol

Birds and hams ok apparently! ;) I'm emailing 'naturals' my disapproval!

I think I may too!
Ive seen the dried corn for sale & always thought how odd! Ive never seen a rabbit eating corn...why would it?

We had a handsome rooster when we were frowing up & one day he disappeared....we mentioined it about the village & our friends who had a farm down the road found our rooster being chased down the road by a maltese poodle!:shock::lol:
They rescued our rooster & fed it corn and didnt know it was ours...bless our rooster - he was full of hard corn & we almost lost him!

So...I stay away from that stuff....

I think I may too!
Ive seen the dried corn for sale & always thought how odd! Ive never seen a rabbit eating corn...why would it?

We had a handsome rooster when we were frowing up & one day he disappeared....we mentioined it about the village & our friends who had a farm down the road found our rooster being chased down the road by a maltese poodle!:shock::lol:
They rescued our rooster & fed it corn and didnt know it was ours...bless our rooster - he was full of hard corn & we almost lost him!

So...I stay away from that stuff....

:shock::shock: Poor Rooster!!

Back