• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cookie is always hiding

KCG

Warren Veteran
Cookie had neutering on July 3rd and was pretty good up to 5 days, he trusted us. He got an eye infection 5 days after the operation and I have been giving him medication 4 times a day for 1 week, I give him medication with the reward system, he was afraid of that drug at first, but he is not afraid anymore. But he still doesn't trust me, he's always hiding when he's free roaming around the house. He goes out whenever he wants, binky, runs, plays, then goes to the corners again and hides. I try not to pay attention to him, I try not to bother him. But now I'm so tired. Please help me :(
I want to regain cookie's trust, I'm careful but I don't know what to do anymore, what should I do? :(

Sometimes he comes near me, eats a trophy from my hand and licks my hand. However most of the time he still hides, he doesn't trust me completely.
Cookie was very upset because I had to give drugs all the time and he was offended with me. :(

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry, he's coming to you for treats and licks your hand, I'd just let him come round in his own time.

I wouldn't worry, he's coming to you for treats and licks your hand, I'd just let him come round in his own time.

When will we be back to normal, after all he still doesn't trust me. He is afraid when I stand up or approach him. :(

There isn't really anything you can do besides what you're already doing. He needs to regain his trust in you and that takes time. It's not something you can make happen; he needs to do that on his own. I know it's so heartbreaking when they're scared of you, though, so I know this is very hard. Just give him space and time, keep offering him treats, and let him come to you, and he'll be back to trusting you again someday soon, but it can take a while.

There isn't really anything you can do besides what you're already doing. He needs to regain his trust in you and that takes time. It's not something you can make happen; he needs to do that on his own. I know it's so heartbreaking when they're scared of you, though, so I know this is very hard. Just give him space and time, keep offering him treats, and let him come to you, and he'll be back to trusting you again someday soon, but it can take a while.

I am really sad, I feel missing, we were like partners with Cookie, the bond between us was so strong. We slept on the sofa together, we watched TV, he would wait for me at the door even when I was in the bathroom, he would sit on the chair while I ate. :( Now I feel so lonely. :(
Now I will never get close to him, I will always wait for him to come to me, right?

I am really sad, I feel missing, we were like partners with Cookie, the bond between us was so strong. We slept on the sofa together, we watched TV, he would wait for me at the door even when I was in the bathroom, he would sit on the chair while I ate. :( Now I feel so lonely. :(
Now I will never get close to him, I will always wait for him to come to me, right?
I wouldn't give up on having a close bond with him again. He just needs time, but once he trusts you again you'll both likely go back to how it used to be, with you both spending time together again. Casper and Sophie have been upset with me and scared of me after being ill and needing medication, too, but their trust has always returned and we're still close. It's only been a little while, he's still mentally recovering from everything that has happened, and it's understandable that he feels insecure right now, but with time he'll be back to his old self and will come to trust you again.

I wouldn't give up on having a close bond with him again. He just needs time, but once he trusts you again you'll both likely go back to how it used to be, with you both spending time together again. Casper and Sophie have been upset with me and scared of me after being ill and needing medication, too, but their trust has always returned and we're still close. It's only been a little while, he's still mentally recovering from everything that has happened, and it's understandable that he feels insecure right now, but with time he'll be back to his old self and will come to trust you again.

I reduced the dose of the drug today, I will give it 2 times a day and there are 3 days until the drug ends. Tonight at least Cookie didn't hide and lay on his carpet in the living room. He wasn't afraid of me when he was around, I think I'm slowly regaining his trust. :( Since we still continue with the drug, we cannot fully gain the trust issue.
How long after you stopped giving Casper and Sophie drugs did they start trusting you again?

I'm glad Cookie wasn't afraid of you tonight. It does sound like you're slowly regaining his trust, though I think you're right that since he's still getting medication he won't fully trust you right now. It differed a lot, the time it took for Casper and Sophie to start trusting me again. Sophie is a lot quicker to trust me again now, usually a few days at most, but when she was younger it could take weeks, and with Casper it has taken weeks sometimes, too. It really depends on the bunny, though.

I think he just needs time. When I have had to give Walli medication several times a day he is extremely scared of me, he gets so stressed by it he often gets gut stasis and I need to handle him even more and all becomes a bad circle. It can take a monh or two before I get to stroke him again:(

I'm glad Cookie wasn't afraid of you tonight. It does sound like you're slowly regaining his trust, though I think you're right that since he's still getting medication he won't fully trust you right now. It differed a lot, the time it took for Casper and Sophie to start trusting me again. Sophie is a lot quicker to trust me again now, usually a few days at most, but when she was younger it could take weeks, and with Casper it has taken weeks sometimes, too. It really depends on the bunny, though.

Oh I understand, thank you so much. I hope soon my relationship with Cookie will be the same as before.

I think he just needs time. When I have had to give Walli medication several times a day he is extremely scared of me, he gets so stressed by it he often gets gut stasis and I need to handle him even more and all becomes a bad circle. It can take a monh or two before I get to stroke him again:(

OMG I felt so sorry for Walli. It's really sad that he's so stressful :(

Oh I understand, thank you so much. I hope soon my relationship with Cookie will be the same as before.

OMG I felt so sorry for Walli. It's really sad that he's so stressful :(
Yes, it is just the way he is :(
We try to do the best for him and handling is down to a minimum and now I get to stroke him every evening:)
Strangely enough since our daughter was born 2 years ago he is a bit less stressed, I thought a child would stress him out completely!

Yes, it is just the way he is :(
We try to do the best for him and handling is down to a minimum and now I get to stroke him every evening:)
Strangely enough since our daughter was born 2 years ago he is a bit less stressed, I thought a child would stress him out completely!

This is very interesting, I remember reading that normally rabbits and kids aren't very good

This is very interesting, I remember reading that normally rabbits and kids aren't very good

Yes they are very sweet together and she knows she can't touch him so she just sits and talk to him or sings for him:lol:
He is much more afraid of me than of her!

Cookie's hormones also increased temporarily after his operation, so this is another possible reason his personality changed. His hormones will settle in a couple weeks.

Cookie's hormones also increased temporarily after his operation, so this is another possible reason his personality changed. His hormones will settle in a couple weeks.

Thank you so much, I should have thought about that too, you're right

Yes they are very sweet together and she knows she can't touch him so she just sits and talk to him or sings for him:lol:
He is much more afraid of me than of her!

Haha aw so cutee :love: i would like to see them like that :D

Thank Allah! We started to go back to normal with Cookie. :D When he is next to me he no longer hides and sleeps next to me, watches TV with me and likes when I caress him, he lie with me. We are slowly starting to get back to normal today, now he's hiding just seeing my husband. :D

Thank Allah! We started to go back to normal with Cookie. :D When he is next to me he no longer hides and sleeps next to me, watches TV with me and likes when I caress him, he lie with me. We are slowly starting to get back to normal today, now he's hiding just seeing my husband. :D

Brilliant, well done Cookie, I'm sure he'll be fine with your husband soon too :D

Back