• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Continental giants

Alicia

Mama Doe
I’ve always wanted a continental giant and I’m really considering it. I’ve done a bit of research but I’m seeing mixed things so I thought I’d ask here. How much space would a giant need? Ideally I’d like it to live with the two smaller rabbits I already have but obviously that needs some thought. I’m guessing yes but do they eat more/differently? Any tips, advice, experiences etc. also photos would be lovely please :love:

I dont know how much space they need in line with the RWAF guidelines but Rups has and needs lots of space. He lives in the lounge in a bedroom with a loft. The base is approx 6 feet long by 4 feet wide, with short "walls" he can hop over if he wants or a doorway that he can come through. He has access 24/7 to the lounge, dining room, kitchen and leanto and has supervised access to the garden. Some days watching him do zoomies I do not feel he has enough space.
Rups (and Dillon before him) like to climb, neither will attempt the stairs but the sofa and particularly the back of the sofa, so he can see through the window are a fav of his. Rups is a flemish/conti cross and lives with a REW female, Susan. Susan is a bigger lady and seems to cope with him okay.
My biggest issue (along with wishing I had more space) is carrying them into the vets. They need such a big carrier to be in together and are so very heavy.
Both Rups and Dillon (now at rainbow bridge) seem to struggle grooming themselves. Rups has to have his tail shaved (underneath) from time to time as he does not seem to be able to reach it. Susan is too much of a lady to groom him under that end!

Last edited:
Scaling up from RWAF guidelines based on 2 hops by 3 hops minimum gives you a minimum floor space of about 6x9ft, but having seen how much mine move I cringe seeing giants in a space this small. Given chance they are just as active as smaller bunnies - we have everything smaller rabbits have, platforms, ramps, climbing places - just scaled up and made safe with barriers to prevent falls. My two share a 6.5x13ft indoor space with a second deck the size of a single bed (it is a single bed!) inside with a catflap to an outdoor space 26ft x 4ft, again with ramps to upper spaces too, but then they still spend 5-6 hrs in the garden as well each day. They get frustrated on the days they don't get in the garden, they are really active when out there.
I guess they eat more but not necessarily more pellets - I feed pellet free but mine have several hours of grazing a day, free hay all over the place, the options of readigrass, oatgrass and dried forage at all times, plus a bucket of foraged wild food or garden plants each day inc herbs. If you get a baby remember they grow up to 18 months which I think is longer than smaller rabbits.
Many people seem to keep them fat though I suspect this is as much due to lack of exercise, but even with mine being fairly lean machines they are big to handle - Freja is still growing but is over 7kg of pure muscle, and whilst I can pick her up for brief moments, she will argue. Odin is a little easier but if he says no, it hurts!! Instead we have worked hard to teach them cooperative care, so they can jump on our knees themselves for checking over, I can check hocks and undercarriage while they sit on hubby's knees for example. Taking them to the vets is a mission, mine go in a large dog crate together, but it takes 2 people to lift them in and out the car in that, though I can load them myself one by one if the crate is in the car already.
They are wonderful little people though, really full of life and character, VERY cheeky. They are still very much rabbits - they can spook just as easily, they can nip and kick, and when they stamp the whole village hears them. But they love to come and climb on us when we lie next to them, and will often go to sleep being groomed or ask us to groom them to sleep which is just adorable.
If you get one, my strongest advice would be to go to the best breeder you can find - ask them what they breed for, what they are aiming to produce - because there are a lot of people who get a couple of giants just to breed them to sell and haven't a clue about rabbits, let alone giants. Babies apparently shouldn't leave until 12 weeks to help prevent stasis. And grow them slow and fit, not fat - they may not weigh as much as other people claim, but they will be far healthier for it.
Oh, and if they go in the garden remember they can reach MUCH higher than you think on their back legs, they can demolish things in seconds, and they can jump and scramble to heights you would never imagine! Be very sure their space is secure!
There are loads of photos of mine if you do a search for my threads :)

Was thinking about this last night - if you already have 2 rabbits you will also need to consider their bond and what happens if they don't agree to become a trio. Do you have the space to get another for the one left out so you have 2 pairs? It might be worth reading up on bonding trios because from what I understand from reading it is not as easy to make a trio as it is to make a pair (and that can be hard enough!) and it can risk the pair bond that you have. Just a thought to throw into the mix :)

Was thinking about this last night - if you already have 2 rabbits you will also need to consider their bond and what happens if they don't agree to become a trio. Do you have the space to get another for the one left out so you have 2 pairs? It might be worth reading up on bonding trios because from what I understand from reading it is not as easy to make a trio as it is to make a pair (and that can be hard enough!) and it can risk the pair bond that you have. Just a thought to throw into the mix :)

I agree, IME trio bonds are never as stable as pairs or much larger groups and there is often one Rabbit who is an outsider. A Trio bond is not something I would try unless I was certain I could cope with and put right a worst case scenario outcome, ie three single Rabbits who all hate each other.

Back