• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Continental/British/Flemish Giants

I have a Giant Papillon, Dexter. The breeder said she is the only one in the world who breeds tri-colour ones now. Not sure if i believe this, but i don't care, he's unique to me.

A tri-coloured papillon is basically a Rhinelander. There are a few breeders of Giant Papillons, and a few Rhinelanders in this country, and even more over in the USA.

You can get papillons in tri-colour though. Judy le Marchant breeds them according to F&F.

He is stunning though, I love them as a breed!

Last edited:
I was told that the average is 4/5. Ted's genes seem to be good as all his family live to about 7ish!! (on average). He's a large Frenchie. (over 6kg)

I mean to say this in the least offensive way, but it may just be down to the genetic makeup of the rabbits you are breeding. :?

no its not my rabbits are from the best lines imported from holland and germany
i have also had rabbits from other lines too all lived 4-5 years it is the life span of a conti ant breeder of contis will tell you this

no its not my rabbits are from the best lines imported from holland and germany
i have also had rabbits from other lines too all lived 4-5 years it is the life span of a conti ant breeder of contis will tell you this

I agree! I truly believe that larger breeds have shorter life spans, no matter what their lines are (my two are from amazing lines)...but they are the most amazing buns, that doesn't put me off keeping them!!

Im afraid that with the Large Breeds Such as Contis thier life span was not in the minds of ppl that selectivly bred them when they first came about it was in the interest of one thing 'Food' and rabbit meat is at it tenderous at 5mths also the meat to bone ratio is better, therefore the rabbit was bred to be as big as possiable at five mths so most didnt live past that so contis getting past 4-5 is rare usually because thier Hearts and Respitory System are under stain with such a large body.
With the Large Lop rabbits alot more thought went into them as they were mainly bred for thier looks.

Old man!

We have a friend who's flemish is about to turn 8! Hes a indoor flemish and has just been raised like any other house bun! Hes only had one visit to the vet and that was when he was nuetered, which im sure helped his long life :)

I hope my two flemishs live that long!:D

WOW!! he's a Rhinelander! It says on one website tho that they only grow to eight pounds... that's not a giant. But dex is eight months old, very slender and weighs in at 5.75kg.. which is about 12lb i think. So is he a giant? Where can i go for more info on the breed?

I got dex from judy- but was told he was a giant papillon, and that she was the only breeder left who bred the tri colours, apparently there was dutch bloke, but he got bored...

Anyone who can give me any more info on the breed or details of others that breed them.. I would be so grateful! Is there a club in the UK? i can find loads of American clubs... but non in the UK.

P.s just posted some pics of Dexter... they're a bit old now... he's bigger and now lives indoors... but you get the idea. The thread is called Dexter...tada!

Last edited:
are yo sure its a conti and not a conit cross conti crosses do live longer like the british etc pure bred contis just dont live that long :? i show and breed contis and they live 5 years max as ive said before its their hearts they grow to 2.5 years and then their heart cant take it any more so the die young just like giant dogs they do have a short life span :roll:

When she post that mesg., she said it's continental, the word "cross" wasn't mention on that thread. We can do a search or ask her

WOW!! he's a Rhinelander! It says on one website tho that they only grow to eight pounds... that's not a giant. But dex is eight months old, very slender and weighs in at 5.75kg.. which is about 12lb i think. So is he a giant? Where can i go for more info on the breed?

I got dex from judy- but was told he was a giant papillon, and that she was the only breeder left who bred the tri colours, apparently there was dutch bloke, but he got bored...

Anyone who can give me any more info on the breed or details of others that breed them.. I would be so grateful! Is there a club in the UK? i can find loads of American clubs... but non in the UK.

P.s just posted some pics of Dexter... they're a bit old now... he's bigger and now lives indoors... but you get the idea. The thread is called Dexter...tada!

oh my god :love::love::love::love::love:

I just looked up a Rhinelander, and they don't look as sleek and thin as a papillon... they look more chunky. Dexter looks very much like my Noisette... the face shape and the body type!!

When she post that mesg., she said it's continental, the word "cross" wasn't mention on that thread. We can do a search or ask her

just thought id ask hun no offence ment its just we had a conti cross british giant and she went to a petting farm near to us where a few of out retired does have gone to and maxine is still there the crosses do tend to live a lot longer than the pure bred contis to be honest i with contis would live longer but as it has been poited out they were originally bred for food so life span was not high on the breed standard as it was not required :?
at he end of the day contis bring so much pleasure to their owners we just enjoy the time with have with them but if you are a person who is wanting a giant and a god life span go for any of the other giant breeds as they do last alot longer british giants especially ;)

HAHA!!! Maybe I have a confused bunny??? he thinks he's a fruit bat anywho. Not really bothered what he is, he's a cool bean. :)

Anyone know of a giant rabbit club tho? or even anyone who has a giant rabbit that lives near to me? would like to make some giant rabbit obsessed friends. but the closest thing i've found so far is a small dog. They don't tend to have the ears tho....

HAHA!!! Maybe I have a confused bunny??? he thinks he's a fruit bat anywho. Not really bothered what he is, he's a cool bean. :)

Anyone know of a giant rabbit club tho? or even anyone who has a giant rabbit that lives near to me? would like to make some giant rabbit obsessed friends. but the closest thing i've found so far is a small dog. They don't tend to have the ears tho....

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thats funny!! :D

Ive got a giant cross and she's 3 and the love of my life.. oops sorry and hubby to be! :oops::lol:

Lol, my hubby to be knows he comes second to the rabbit... he even bought some furry bunny ears in an effort to get attention. But its creepy when he licks my forehead... somehow okay when Dexter licks my face tho...

Bit late to this thread but my british giant x frenchie is 5 1/2 yrs old now. Her littermate died at 4 and a bit years :( Their breeder hoped they would perhaps be a bit more hardy and long lived due to being crosses but I'm so so sure as it seems to be the heart size that's their issue. My girl is definitely looking older and spends most of her free range time just laying about nibbling grass instead of running around!

I've only just realised that you can get tri colour giant paps :p Never heard of them before. I'll find out the differences if you bear with me ;)

Both breeds would be under the Rare Varietys Rabbit Club, there is a link on the BRC site

Captain Carrot is 1 and a half. He free ranges in the garden all day long, and is in a shed at nights..hopefully the extra exercise will help him live longer than average for his breed? :cry:

Oh i had 2 french lop bucks who lived for 6 and a half and 7 years. Even my vet was surprised how old they were when 'the time came' :cry: x

Back