• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Continental/British/Flemish Giants

Do you remember the thread a while ago, it was from a breeder of big buns and they told me not to get one as they don't live long. I will try to find it for you now:wave:

Willow was 5 and a half when he died and was fit and healthy until this horrible disease my bunnies have took his life:cry::cry:
My other babies have got to no more than three when this evil illness has taken them:cry::cry:

Last edited:
I lost my beloved almost igant sized french lop doe willow in oct 08 she would have been two at christmas that year. suspected embolism from her dying throes description the vet said.

I haver had bertie my smaller frenchie weighing inat 5kg for three years now..and hes five..and i was told by his owner that they can live to 10 despite the rule of they live 3 to 5 yrs max. she said it all comes down to hearts....they have a bigger body with a small heart like a normal bun..so its bound to go that way.

however i recall two frenchie some while back now for rehoming and one was 9 and one was 10!!

its all down to genetics...environment....diet..infections that could poss damage heart etc.

i keep saying i know berties prob only got anohter year if were lucky but then i ocul dbe so wrong..i hope so.....i will be so lost iwthout him.....so will many people who have got to know him..let laone bif his wifey.

with all the love and attention at your hands jane...anythings possible....;)

my flemish was 7 years and 10 months old when she went to the bridge last december :love:

000_0002.jpg

Do you remember the thread a while ago, it was from a breeder of big buns and they told me not to get one as they don't live long. I will try to find it for you now:wave:

ita becuase giants have small hearts which is then as the rabbits bigger put under alot of strain and they just drop down dead
however im not sure why a breeder would tell someone not to get a giant giants are amazing and make fanastic pets

ita becuase giants have small hearts which is then as the rabbits bigger put under alot of strain and they just drop down dead
however im not sure why a breeder would tell someone not to get a giant giants are amazing and make fanastic pets

I completely agree - although I know giants potentially have shorter life spans than smaller buns, I don't think I could ever not have a giant bun now. There's just something so different & special about them - in fact I'm sure Emily & Archie are the dogs I can't have in disguise! :shock::lol::love:

I completely agree - although I know giants potentially have shorter life spans than smaller buns, I don't think I could ever not have a giant bun now. There's just something so different & special about them - in fact I'm sure Emily & Archie are the dogs I can't have in disguise! :shock::lol::love:

What about Noah?:( Don't you like him anymore?:( Is it because he's not a giant?:shock:

What about Noah?:( Don't you like him anymore?:( Is it because he's not a giant?:shock:

:shock: Of course I do, Noah is my little baby :love::love::love: It's a good job he's not a conti though, as there wouldn't be enough room for me in the bed at night! :shock::lol:

:shock: Of course I do, Noah is my little baby :love::love::love: It's a good job he's not a conti though, as there wouldn't be enough room for me in the bed at night! :shock::lol:

Denise we dont see enough pictures of Noah. In fact I dont think I have ever seen a picture of him! :(

I have a Giant Papillon, Dexter. The breeder said she is the only one in the world who breeds tri-colour ones now. Not sure if i believe this, but i don't care, he's unique to me.

The last time I had a rabbit was ten years ago. I got her from a pet shop... they had all these black and brown stripy things.. they were fashionable and very cute... and in the middle was this grey lump that no-one wanted. so, I took her home, called her smokey and loved her very very much. She died on christmas eve... I was 14. I loved that rabbit, she taught me so much... followed me round the room, looked for me if i left and responded to her name. Thank goodness she couldn't talk with everything I used to tell her...

Dexter is my first Giant, my first buck and my first housebun. He's teaching me things too! Such a character... I love him to bits despite the fact that he's nuts (maybe thats why I love him). And now I have a giant, I will always have them :)

I want Dex to live forever.... but he can't. And I probably won't have as long with him as I had with Smokey... but we have cuddles everyday... he headbutts me every morning for his breakfast and runs round my feet in excitement. He licks my pockets, licks my OH's hands and if you stop with the nose rubs... you get nibbled. Every second I spend with him makes me smile... however long that may be.

So don't worry about how long Giants live... I think, providing you put the effort in, the joy they bring far outweighs the sorrow you feel. if you can honestly say they've had a good life and you've had joy from them- what more could anyone want? That goes for all animals (maybe not spiders... or armadillos)

Long live the Giant Bunnies!

I was told they are 'lucky' to make it to 5 :cry:

Libby is 4 next year............

Adele's Continental Giant are 10+ yr. old. Ask her what the trick is.

My bridge bun Little Happy was 4.5 yr. old. AT the time, I know nothing about rabbits, and neither does the "vet" that I use. I am convinced Little Happy would have live a lot longer if it were for the ignorance of my vet as well as my lack of experience of the diet of rabbits.

I have a Giant Papillon, Dexter. The breeder said she is the only one in the world who breeds tri-colour ones now. Not sure if i believe this, but i don't care, he's unique to me.

Please post some photos... I have 2 yellow paps and I would love to see yours :love::love::love::love:

Adele's Continental Giant are 10+ yr. old. Ask her what the trick is.

My bridge bun Little Happy was 4.5 yr. old. AT the time, I know nothing about rabbits, and neither does the "vet" that I use. I am convinced Little Happy would have live a lot longer if it were for the ignorance of my vet as well as my lack of experience of the diet of rabbits.

are yo sure its a conti and not a conit cross conti crosses do live longer like the british etc pure bred contis just dont live that long :? i show and breed contis and they live 5 years max as ive said before its their hearts they grow to 2.5 years and then their heart cant take it any more so the die young just like giant dogs they do have a short life span :roll:

are yo sure its a conti and not a conit cross conti crosses do live longer like the british etc pure bred contis just dont live that long :? i show and breed contis and they live 5 years max as ive said before its their hearts they grow to 2.5 years and then their heart cant take it any more so the die young just like giant dogs they do have a short life span :roll:

I mean to say this in the least offensive way, but it may just be down to the genetic makeup of the rabbits you are breeding. :?

Back