• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Companion Bun or More Money?!

Lone bun, two bun or more monkey??!!

• Wait and see, he can always have a friend at a later date.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • He's lonely and needs a friend and get insurance for both.

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Get another bun and get a loan if nessecary!!!

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
And they could snuggle up together with the bunny kisses and the occaisional nookie :D

(ditto on the guilt trip angle :lol:)

:wave:
I didn't get a friend for charlie until he was nearly 2 years old and so wish i'd done it sooner, it's the best thing to see 2 bonded bunnies snuggling together!! :D

Claire

Well I think you should edit your poll with the:- "quit smoking and get a bunny friend for Bobbin" option.

You might be surprised at the result ;)

if you do that I'll certainly vote :wave:

Well I think you should edit your poll with the:- "quit smoking and get a bunny friend for Bobbin" option.

You might be surprised at the result ;)

if you do that I'll certainly vote :wave:

Alright, enough with the smoking issue! If you have an opinion on my original question feel free to vote or answer it, but please don't go off on an unnecessary tangent, I'd be interested in knowing what you think about it other than this, thank you! :D

I don't think the giving up smoking idea is an unessesary tangent. You said in your original post that you felt guilty that you couldn't get your rabbit a friend for financial reasons and a viable solution has been offered. Just goes to show there are other options besides the ones you put in your poll and you did ask for suggestions and opinions. ;)

Granted giving up smoking would provide more money, and thank you for the suggestion, but I'm afraid it's not an option.

Any more suggestions?! :D

I worried about money, bonding, cage space, cleaning etc but in the end I felt that it was better for Charlie to have a GF to give him the companionship that I cant no matter how much I am around.

I dont think that much has changed in all of the above worries I had. The main cost was initial speying and neutering (one off tho!) and if anything Charlie has cost me more in vets bills than when I later got Molly.

I have read in places that two buns greatly help each other in everything and even health.
Some buns can be perfectly happy with a human companion only but most do enjoy the company. I planned to have Charlie as an only (spoilt) bun but its such a joy to see him with Molly.
It took time to bond and even longer to fall in love, but now they are never apart and if one is in mischief then the other is never far behind!!

BettyBoo - once bonded they should be kept together or else they could lose the bond and you'd have to start a again. During bonding they may need separate cages but be kept close so they can see/smell/study each other. I was lucky that mine bonded fairly quickly and so could share the same cage the same night that Molly came home. But I took about a week off work to be with them. The other extreme is it taking weeks/months. By letting Bigwig chose a GF that would help a lot.

Its def got to be a well thought out decision tho and since bunnies are so unique there doesnt seem to be a best time to bond after the bun is established in their home. I had Charlie for a year befre Molly came home. Others will bond buns in later life after loss of partners etc...

Best of luck with your decision tho :D

I'd get him a friend. If my two got ill & started costing hundreds I wouldnt be able to afford it, but I know I'd find the money (as I have for the previous three buns that have cost me an absolute fortune in the past year, four inc. Jen) from somewhere :D Like people who have kids, loads of people are always saying 'Ooh no, Ive only got twenty quid to last me til next wednesday'....tis life I recon ;) Xx

Hi Thea

You've raised exactly the same quandry I am in. I got my bunny 2 weeks ago and am now agonising over whether we should get him a girlfriend (neutered, of course!)

But, my question to the group is can you house them in the same cage or do they need separate living space?

Bigwig currently has a large cage as a bedroom plus an attic room to himself for through the day and evening. This is his run, playground and toy room!

I would be looking for a rescue girly and would look to introduce him before taking her on by taking him along and letting him decide but what about afterwards ... should i be considering another cage in my decision?

Firstly I would get your boy neutered and then take him to a rescue to chose a friend.

If the rescue does the bondign for you by the time you get them home they should be living together and provided you clean his cage and territory to neutralise it you will not need another cage.

Hi :wave:

I have just got a second bun and girlfriend for Stu. I was concerned about the cost of a second bun if they were ill but i really wanted Stu to have a GF and company while i am out at work. I save money into our joint account as i don't use the card for that account so not tempted to take it out again. I try and add more to it a month if i can. It's alot easier than I thought. I only got my new girl at the weekend but have been putting money away for about 4-5 months. It really is worth it and you'll be suprised how easy it is to sve it! :D

Good luck in what ever you decide!

Abbie x

Thanks for the input guys ... really helpful. I have made the decision to find a gf for Bigwig ... after all, it would be rubbish for him to never meet and love another of his own kind!

My bf is already wondering how this is snowballing ... one visit to the local petshop to get a new scratch post for the cats has resulted in a new bunny and another on the horizon! I'm loving it! :D

Will post piccies soon of the little man...

I would weight up the financial situation carefull before you make a decision. I think that insurance is a good idea for 2 buns (i personally could not have savings without being tempted to sped after a certain amount of time) and also if one or both need a big operation before you've saved enough what would you do then? A credit card is another idea, but this would have to be paid back and shouldn't be something to rely on....

Also take into account extra vaccs each year, food, bedding, hay etc, any boarding fees when you go away.

If after all of that you can afford another bun then go for it! I have two and I love them to bits and they are great company for each other, but you have to know your limits, and with 2 buns and a cat that is mine; and mine are all insured.

As for smoking, I gave up 3 years ago, and yes I feel better for it now, but if you aren't ready to quit, that is totally your decision and people have to respect that. There is no good trying to give up when you don't want to. My husband did that and it didn't work (and let's face it you have to have pleasures for yourself as well as your animals occasionally!)

Amanda x

Hi Thea :wave:

I have this dilemma too :? I posted about it in July -

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=97221

It's a difficult one - and well done for considering the financial implications. I know of someone who has had several animals (bunnies and piggies) ill at the same time and requiring a lot of vet treatment which has obviously been very expensive. Routine expenses such as food, hay, vaccinations, etc, are obviously easy to budget for; it's the unexpected vets bills which can be a worry.

Rosie is still on her own here - but then I'm at home during the day and am always climbing in with her to give her snuggles :oops: She gets loads of human attention. We did have plans to bond her recently but she went into stasis, and it's been one thing after another since then (with us, not her) and we've not arranged anything since. Added to that, we are a good couple of hours away from the nearest rabbit rescue (I'd want their help with bonding), so it would mean a long journey.

Anyway, I digress and I'm not being much help in your decision! I do suffer the guilt and and I stress over Rosie far too much - while she appears perfectly content! :rolleyes:

Good luck in whatever you decide :)

I would weight up the financial situation carefull before you make a decision. I think that insurance is a good idea for 2 buns (i personally could not have savings without being tempted to sped after a certain amount of time) and also if one or both need a big operation before you've saved enough what would you do then? A credit card is another idea, but this would have to be paid back and shouldn't be something to rely on....

Also take into account extra vaccs each year, food, bedding, hay etc, any boarding fees when you go away.

If after all of that you can afford another bun then go for it! I have two and I love them to bits and they are great company for each other, but you have to know your limits, and with 2 buns and a cat that is mine; and mine are all insured.

As for smoking, I gave up 3 years ago, and yes I feel better for it now, but if you aren't ready to quit, that is totally your decision and people have to respect that. There is no good trying to give up when you don't want to. My husband did that and it didn't work (and let's face it you have to have pleasures for yourself as well as your animals occasionally!)

Amanda x

Thank you for your thoughts, they are so many people that i feel don't know their limits and think they love animals so dearly that they get more and more and don't realise that's it was a bad idea until it's too late. Both the animals and you loose out because in reality you can't afford it.

Oh and with regards the smoking, thanks for understanding. I can see why it would be hard for some people, that haven't smoked and people who have quit. I honestly believe there is a right time for everyone, just because you want to doesn't mean you can.

Hi Thea :wave:

I have this dilemma too :? I posted about it in July -

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=97221

It's a difficult one - and well done for considering the financial implications. I know of someone who has had several animals (bunnies and piggies) ill at the same time and requiring a lot of vet treatment which has obviously been very expensive. Routine expenses such as food, hay, vaccinations, etc, are obviously easy to budget for; it's the unexpected vets bills which can be a worry.

Rosie is still on her own here - but then I'm at home during the day and am always climbing in with her to give her snuggles :oops: She gets loads of human attention. We did have plans to bond her recently but she went into stasis, and it's been one thing after another since then (with us, not her) and we've not arranged anything since. Added to that, we are a good couple of hours away from the nearest rabbit rescue (I'd want their help with bonding), so it would mean a long journey.

Anyway, I digress and I'm not being much help in your decision! I do suffer the guilt and and I stress over Rosie far too much - while she appears perfectly content! :rolleyes:

Good luck in whatever you decide :)

That's so lovely that you can spend all day with her. I would dearly love that for Bobbin. I do dream of working from home and am striving towards it, but it's the here and now that bothers me.

I am most nervous about the possibility of them both becoming ill at once, what if insurance does cover it, and to add to it my choice of vets are very expensive :roll:

No, really, you have been very helpful, it's just nice to know that I'm not the only one in this dilemma... any tips with working from home, or not working at all, greatly welcomed!! :lol:

That's so lovely that you can spend all day with her. I would dearly love that for Bobbin. I do dream of working from home and am striving towards it, but it's the here and now that bothers me.

I am most nervous about the possibility of them both becoming ill at once, what if insurance does cover it, and to add to it my choice of vets are very expensive :roll:

No, really, you have been very helpful, it's just nice to know that I'm not the only one in this dilemma... any tips with working from home, or not working at all, greatly welcomed!! :lol:

:wave:

It does help that I am at home all day - I don't work due to health problems so it's easy for me to spend time with Rosie. I do sympathise though if you can't be around all day - it's a dilemma for you.

Although Rosie pretty much sleeps from lunchtime through till mid-evening, so apart from the mornings, she's not all that bothered if I'm there or not :rolleyes:

I realised today that I never concluded this thread...

So, thank you to everyone for your extreemly helpful replies :D :wave: I have decided that I really would like Bobbin to have a friend at some point, but it can't be just yet. My plan is to have him neutered early next year - I would do it sooner but he's so well behaved *fingers crossed he stays that way now I've just said that* haha!
Then I'm going to asses my finances again in the spring and start looking for a friend for him and hopefully get him one within the year :D

Of course when that time comes I will be back, begging for everyone's advice on bonding, housing for two buns and the like! :oops: :lol:

Cheers!

Theax

Back