• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Combo Vaccine out of stock

But if we just vaccinate with vhd now can we use the combined vaccine when it's back in stock?

This comes from the Data sheet for Lapinject (CEVA) and the Data sheet for Nobivac Myxo-RHD

'No information is available on the safety and efficacy of this vaccine when used with any other veterinary medicinal product. A decision to use this vaccine before or after any other veterinary medicinal product therefore needs to be made on a case by case basis.'

Thanks again for the info Liz :wave:

What an absolute nightmare. So mid-September means there's definitely going to be a period without any vaccine available at all for lots of rabbits, plus no guarantee that it will arrive then anyway. :(

Meep, Elphie and Galinda are due their vaccs in October. Apollo in Jan, and Athena in March. I think I'll have to ring my vets up now...

My vet has just spoken with MSD

Apparently the 50 dose bottles are being imported from Europe mid September but it is not 100% guarenteed.

They will be allocated to practices based on how many rabbits they have due for vaccinating.

The reason for the lack of vaccines in the UK is a packaging problem.

Hope this helps

Ugh - anyone else think this doesn't sound like it should be an insurmountable issue?
This is just a ridiculous situation.

Ugh - anyone else think this doesn't sound like it should be an insurmountable issue?
This is just a ridiculous situation.

It shouldn't and to be honest I find it hard to believe (Not hard to believe you Liz, hard to believe MSD!!)

Just spoken with a CEVA Rep (CEVA made Lapinject). The vaccine is no longer available in the UK but it is in the rest of Europe. So the only way to obtain it is fot the Vet to contact the VMD ( Veterinary Medicines Directorate ) and request a SIC (Special Import Certificate)

https://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/sis/(S(5xndtfti51hpnlkenwaluqff))/default.aspx

I would request this of my Vet if any of my Rabbits were to be due a Vaccination between now and November. Bunny Buddy it may be especially relevant to you as there is that confirmed VHD outbreak relatively locally.

Thanks Jane (sorry, I missed this earlier :oops:). I will store the knowledge but knowing how keen my vet is on vaccination I'm sure hell and earth will be moved to mitigate any issues.

I'm passing on word for word what my vet said to me. But yes its ridiculous.

I wonder if the packaging problem has somehow contaminated the vaccine??

Thanks again for the info Liz :wave:

What an absolute nightmare. So mid-September means there's definitely going to be a period without any vaccine available at all for lots of rabbits, plus no guarantee that it will arrive then anyway. :(

Thanks for that Liz.

I personally wouldn't vaccinate with VHD and then with the combined vaccine a couple of months later. There's no info on how it would affect the rabbit as of course, it's not meant to be done.

God that's bad! Fifty doses in four hours:shock: - that's going to be impossible - I bet even my vets will struggle to get 50 done in 4 hours and they stand a much better chance than most. 10 or even 20 might be achievable for those without loads of rabbit clients but 50???

So my theory is now I know they are coming from Europe, is that these bottles were manufactured for breeders. I remember years ago having a conversation with one who told me breeders in Europe vaccinated their own rabbits so breeders in the UK were. Campaigning to do the same.

Given how many breeders bother to vaccinate, I expect this is why there is surplus for the UK to import rather than Europe handing over their single doses.

Just a thought.......

Last edited:
Do all of Europe use the nobivac myxo-rhd now? Just a few years ago they were using a different myxo vaccine to the shope fibroma one we had in the UK weren't they - did we all swap at the same time or are they still using a different one in Europe? It's an EU marketing authorisation though that allows it to be used, isn't it?

Like everyone else, I am of course really angry and worried that this has happened, but at the same time I'm quite sure the manufacturers didn't want it to happen either - it damages their reputation and income. It sounds to me like something has happened on the production line which isn't quickly resolvable - otherwise there wouldn't be such a long delay. Fortunately (for me) mine were done a couple of weeks back and none of the rescues are due until next year, but it's still a worry for everyone else's rabbits and any new rescues who may stumble across my path.

I don't know but mine are due in Sept and early Oct. I'm having them done next week. I HATE over-vaccination BUT if there's a risk that I won't be able to get them done until November, meaning they've got to go through the height of myxi season unvaccinated then I'd rather get them done early.

I don't know but mine are due in Sept and early Oct. I'm having them done next week. I HATE over-vaccination BUT if there's a risk that I won't be able to get them done until November, meaning they've got to go through the height of myxi season unvaccinated then I'd rather get them done early.

Would your vets put some to one side for you? I rang my vets to book my rabbits in for next week and the as we discussing it and I said they weren't due for a month she said they would keep some back for us rather than do it early. I guess this would also give them the flexibility if we get to the stage of the 50 dose vials coming into play then they might be able to use the ones put aside for someone else as I will be able to make it to the mass clinic.

Would your vets put some to one side for you? I rang my vets to book my rabbits in for next week and the as we discussing it and I said they weren't due for a month she said they would keep some back for us rather than do it early. I guess this would also give them the flexibility if we get to the stage of the 50 dose vials coming into play then they might be able to use the ones put aside for someone else as I will be able to make it to the mass clinic.

They might - I'm a long-standing and loyal customer and they know me well. I phoned them to ask about the vaccine shortage and they'd not heard about it - then they said "who's calling?" and I gave my name and the reaction was "oh, I thought it was you" :shock:. Don't know if that's good or not :lol:. I'll take them in next week anyway as they travel OK and we'll discuss then.

Just been to Trinity Vets..they received a letter yesterday from their supplier but their rep told them 3 weeks ago so they've been putting aside dosages as people ring in for vaccine appointments.

Mark has said it's fine to vaccinate a month before they are due..in fact recommends it... if we're me and faced with no vaccines available then I would have it done early.

My 4 were vaccinated this week fortunately I pulled the appointments forward by a month before finding out about the shortage, the shots were all the combined vaccine, I dread to think what would have happened if I had not booked a month early

I'm not feeling optimistic at all about this situation.

I'm taking 2 next week/week after (have the vaccines reserved) but Skunk is due end of October and Anarchy early November. On speaking to receptionist they will be holding a clinic probably last Wednesday of September but whether they will use all the vaccine/have enough etc I didn't feel very reassured about. I can't bear the idea of having any of them not vaccinated. It's all my outdoor ones that are due in the next few months too which scares me more

I know no-one seems to know anything for definite (and we're in a difficult situation as although our current rabbits are vaccinated all the vet practices we use are now out of stock) but it might be worth having a read here:

http://rabbitwelfare.blogspot.co.uk/

(from the above link) a classic piece of advice from MSD:

Q: What signs should I look out for?
A: Given appropriate precautions it is unlikely that your rabbit will succumb to these diseases.

I wish I could believe that!

Last edited:
Back