• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Busy Health Check Morning for my 5 Bunnies

InspectorMorse

Wise Old Thumper
Our Vet has just left after a marathon 5 Bunny Health Check and Vaccination Clinic.

Aoife- Follicular Conjunctivitis well controlled, recent intentional weight loss now means she’s a healthy weight
Vaccine done

Endeavour- Significant muscle wastage due to arthritis. Muscle atrophy along spine. Medication regime discussed and adjusted. Sore Hocks under control. Vaccine given.

Dara- All fine, vaccine given

John-Joe - Hock abscess resolved, chronic Pododermatitis under control, vaccine given

Roisin - Vaccine not due til July. Chronic respiratory problems stable. Probably asthmatic. To continue with nebulising and only give abx if active infection becomes apparent. Would be considered high risk should a GA ever be needed. So fingers crossed that won’t happen.

Me- Sundays drama re worsening of my spinal problem likely to be a ruptured disc in L spine !!

I’m glad the bunnies health checks went largely well by the sound of it, they are lucky to have you and your vet giving them such good care.

What about you, are you able to have treatment for your ruptured disc?

I’m glad the bunnies health checks went largely well by the sound of it, they are lucky to have you and your vet giving them such good care.

What about you, are you able to have treatment for your ruptured disc?

No, it’s all part of the conditions I have that basically mean my spine is knackered. Surgery is definitely not an option, 3 different Neurosurgeons have told me that.

You had a busy morning! You are doing great caring for the bunnies, though I am sorry you likely have a ruptured disc.
Is there a brace or support you can use on your spine?

I bet they are all muttering among themselves about the disturbance to their morning :lol: Well done to Aoife for losing the weight :) Tui emphathises. But gold star goes to little Dara :love:

You had a busy morning! You are doing great caring for the bunnies, though I am sorry you likely have a ruptured disc.
Is there a brace or support you can use on your spine?

I do have a back brace, but it actually makes the pain worse due to Arachnoiditis. Anything touching my back, even soft fabric hurts.

I bet they are all muttering among themselves about the disturbance to their morning :lol: Well done to Aoife for losing the weight :) Tui emphathises. But gold star goes to little Dara :love:

Thank you :D

You're so lucky to have such a wonderful vet, Jane. I envy you. I wish I could borrow her to have a look at Jenna. :love:

I'm sorry about you having a ruptured disc. I'm well acquainted with the agony that causes, but to have it compound your AA...it doesn't bear thinking about. And of course everything hurts worse in bad weather. I hope you can find some relief from your discomfort this evening.

The bunnies sound well. I'm sad to hear Endeavour is also having spinal problems. I know it's been going on for awhile. What kind of pain therapy and maintenance is he on now?

How's Morse doing? Did he get a once over as well?

Sending hugs and stay well vibes to you all. xxxxx

Although only Dara passed her MOT with no faults all your bunnies seem to be responding well to treatment :love: well done all

Sorry to hear about your back though :(

Just seen this. Bertie hopes the bunnies all had a treat after their examinations.

Dara is the bunny who was very poorly as a kit? Wonderful that she has thrived and a tribute to your expert care.

So sorry you have such awful chronic pain to deal with. I greatly admire your endurance.

Just seen this. Bertie hopes the bunnies all had a treat after their examinations.

Dara is the bunny who was very poorly as a kit? Wonderful that she has thrived and a tribute to your expert care.

So sorry you have such awful chronic pain to deal with. I greatly admire your endurance.

Dara did have a tricky start. She is very brachycephalic so she does have some sneezing, watery nasal discharge issues as a result. But thankfully at the moment she is doing well. Hope that’s not tempted fate !

Back