• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Combined Vaccination

I'm so sorry for the loss of your bunnies, Alice. :cry:
Having read this thread, I am now very worried about having the new vaccine used on my bunnies, although they have all now been vaccinated with it without side effects...on this occasion.

I am sad to read that so may people have had problems, I thought it was supposed to be safer and it really doesn't appear to be, I really don't see how you can vaccinate rabbits against a disease and then they die of that very disease several weeks later, it also seems to increase the risk of myxo, albeit nodular, I am struggling with whole situation

As you all know that running a sanctuary many of our rabbits are health compromised and have not been able to have the VHD vaccination because it is far too risky, but have had the myxo vaccination, now because of this combined vaccine I will not be able to get my rabbits vaccinated against myxo because the single vaccine is no longer available, this is very worrying for us

I am sad to read that so may people have had problems, I thought it was supposed to be safer and it really doesn't appear to be, I really don't see how you can vaccinate rabbits against a disease and then they die of that very disease several weeks later, it also seems to increase the risk of myxo, albeit nodular, I am struggling with whole situation

I think you are missunderstanding what vaccinations can/can't do....

• The vacc can not cause VHD because it does not include the VHD virus.
  • It takes 3 weeks after the vaccination for the rabbit to be protected so they can still catch myxi and VHD in that time period in the same way an unvaccinated rabbit would.
  • Vaccination success needs a healthy immune system - if a rabbit is fighting off another illness they won't develop immunity.
  • The vacc does not increase the risk of nodular myxo. Where they are exposed to myxi and an unvaccinated rabbit would have got full myxi, being vaccinated gives them enough protection that they only get nodular i.e. it gives them a much better chance of survival (and in many cases protects them completely).

I've found the combined better - Scamp reacted badly to the VHD and the combined allows him to be vaccinated against VHD with no reaction, as it's only a bit of VHD DNA in a myxi vaccination.

I think you are missunderstanding what vaccinations can/can't do....

• The vacc can not cause VHD because it does not include the VHD virus.
  • It takes 3 weeks after the vaccination for the rabbit to be protected so they can still catch myxi and VHD in that time period in the same way an unvaccinated rabbit would.
  • Vaccination success needs a healthy immune system - if a rabbit is fighting off another illness they won't develop immunity.
  • The vacc does not increase the risk of nodular myxo. Where they are exposed to myxi and an unvaccinated rabbit would have got full myxi, being vaccinated gives them enough protection that they only get nodular i.e. it gives them a much better chance of survival (and in many cases protects them completely).

I've found the combined better - Scamp reacted badly to the VHD and the combined allows him to be vaccinated against VHD with no reaction, as it's only a bit of VHD DNA in a myxi vaccination.

Yes, I do understand, I am just really, really concerned about it and now I am in a dilema as to whether to vaccinate my bunnies or not:?

Yes, I do understand, I am just really, really concerned about it and now I am in a dilema as to whether to vaccinate my bunnies or not:?

Based on what full blown myxi is like I wouldn't even contemplate not vaccinating (although I appreciate you have rabbits that are not 100% well to begin with).
Personally, I think this years high levels of myxi are down to the weather and the increased number of biting insects. I also think there is an element of jumping to conclusions because the vaccine is new and wonder if people would be drawing similar conclusions if we were still on the old vaccines an had experienced thisyears myxi levels.

I really can't understand why you are concerned about it? A tiny proportion of bunnies have died after having the vacc, which is most likely nothing to do with the vacc itself but just coincidence. I personally have no problems with the combi and would recommend any bunny owner to get it done, it is proven to be more effective and as people have already said NO vaccine is 100%. I know a lot of rabbits who have received the new vacc and have had no problem so I am not concerned in the slightest.

There were a lot more concerns and side effects with the old RHD and myxi vaccs!

I had my pair done last month, I would have opted for single vaccine if I had read bunnies were dying. I thought there was some initial concerns which had been resolved. So are some vets withdrawing the vaccine and what is being said in the vet papers etc about the vaccine safety?

im wonderimng if the issues are from the 3 week period of no coverage - when i asked my vet if it meant i had to have the vaccines done 3 weeks early, they said 'theyd not been given that information from the manufacturer' - i would have thought this is the most important point?

im wonderimng if the issues are from the 3 week period of no coverage - when i asked my vet if it meant i had to have the vaccines done 3 weeks early, they said 'theyd not been given that information from the manufacturer' - i would have thought this is the most important point?

All vaccines take a while to become effective so if a previously vaccinated bunny was due their vaccines then the previous vaccine would be effective for a year after being administered/becoming effective (not sure which is counted). I've always had it explained to me that there isn't a set date that they suddenly become ineffective. I think all of this is taken into account with the dates given. I *think* the old VHD vaccines took 2 weeks to establish (saying that from memory, not 100% sure) so there would be only one week longer and the previous wasn't effective for exactly 52 weeks, so I'm assuming the odd week here or there is an approximation.

All vaccines take a while to become effective so if a previously vaccinated bunny was due their vaccines then the previous vaccine would be effective for a year after being administered/becoming effective (not sure which is counted). I've always had it explained to me that there isn't a set date that they suddenly become ineffective. I think all of this is taken into account with the dates given. I *think* the old VHD vaccines took 2 weeks to establish (saying that from memory, not 100% sure) so there would be only one week longer and the previous wasn't effective for exactly 52 weeks, so I'm assuming the odd week here or there is an approximation.

I agree. The vaccines don't suddenly stop being effective at the end of the 52 week period so, even if you vaccinate an exact year after the last one was given, there should still be some residual immunity from the previous year's vaccination to provide cover until the new vaccine kicks in after the 3 weeks.

On the basis of maybe a handful of problems (and I'm not sure how many, if any, have actually been reported to the manufacturer?) among the thousands (?) of combi vaccinations now given, I'm still confident with using the vaccination. If problems are suspected, then it's vital that they're reported in the correct manner so that we can all have a clearer picture of what's going on.

I think I need a new vet!! Theyre refusing to do the myxi (single, its put aside for us) before the 29th dec (they were done 30th june) :evil:

I think I need a new vet!! Theyre refusing to do the myxi (single, its put aside for us) before the 29th dec (they were done 30th june) :evil:

Oh. :? I've had vaccinations done a little early before (to bring both bunnies' vaccinations in line so they could have them done at the same time and cut down on vet trips) and it's not thought to be a problem.

Oh. :? I've had vaccinations done a little early before (to bring both bunnies' vaccinations in line so they could have them done at the same time and cut down on vet trips) and it's not thought to be a problem.

I'm sure we've had Ruperts brought forward to meet Tia's (to get them at same time) then we changed vets (the other one was too far away - 40 mins, was stressing them out too much) but now i just think we need to change again (theres one other in our town, and they say the have a very bunny savvy nurse which is great, but i just dont like the receptionist - first time rupes was poorly she barked at us that we'd have to pay £120 before they even looked at him since we weren't registered there - fair enough but she could have just been a bit nicer about it you know). have to wait now tho cos current vets have put the single vaccine aside for us

All 11 of mine had them in May this year and none showed side effects or have caught myxi in any form or VHD. Even my bun with epilepsy and dysautonima showed no negative effects from the vaccine. I wouldn't hesitate to vaccinate again next year even with the few negative reactions others have had. I work in a vets and we have not had 1 complaint about it since it came out. I don't doubt it does happen, but there is never a 100% safety or sucess rate with anything, even human vaccines.

If your rabbit was previously vaccinated and you get it done a year later (6 months for the old myxi) then they should be fully covered with no break.

If your rabbit has never been vaccinated then they won't be covered until three weeks after the vacc. I think that might be causing some of the reports. They are being jabbed and then catching something before the vacc kicks in and the vacc gets blamed for causing it when it just means they were exposed and hadn't developed protection yet.

lesions both ears and one eye

My rabbit, a mini lop, was vaccinated with the combination vaccine in september last year. One week after the shot, he very suddenly developed 2 lesions in each ear, each about 8 mm in diameter, and one smaller lesion underneath his left eye. The one under his eye healed in a week, the ear ones took about three weeks to heal, which seemed a long time for such small wounds. I treated them with terracortril since they were itchy. The rabbit's overall health, appetite and alertness was normal. His ears have since then been smooth and clean and perfect.

I asked my vet if it was adviceable to have him vaccinated again and she couldn't really say, because both diseases are of course very deadly as well and there are outbreaks of both in this area. She said, though, that he could have the single vaccines done separately with a few weeks in between since that would perhaps be less stressful to his immune-system.

Have anyone of you heard of any rabbit developing this kind of trouble with the nobivac myxo-RHD? My rabbit is an indoors rabbit but since myxo and RHD are so common here theres still a risk and indoors rabbits are normally recommended vaccination because of this.

My rabbit, a mini lop, was vaccinated with the combination vaccine in september last year. One week after the shot, he very suddenly developed 2 lesions in each ear, each about 8 mm in diameter, and one smaller lesion underneath his left eye. The one under his eye healed in a week, the ear ones took about three weeks to heal, which seemed a long time for such small wounds. I treated them with terracortril since they were itchy. The rabbit's overall health, appetite and alertness was normal. His ears have since then been smooth and clean and perfect.

I asked my vet if it was adviceable to have him vaccinated again and she couldn't really say, because both diseases are of course very deadly as well and there are outbreaks of both in this area. She said, though, that he could have the single vaccines done separately with a few weeks in between since that would perhaps be less stressful to his immune-system.

Have anyone of you heard of any rabbit developing this kind of trouble with the nobivac myxo-RHD? My rabbit is an indoors rabbit but since myxo and RHD are so common here theres still a risk and indoors rabbits are normally recommended vaccination because of this.

we have now had over 100 rabbits bvaccinated using the combi vaccs ..
2 developed sores on their eyes ... one developed sores on ears just like you descride .. all 3 fully recovered .
All 3 cases were reactions to the vaccine .
If you read the info on the nivibc site it shows clearly that these are side effects ...and that if these side effects occur the rabbit with likely have a heightened imune reponse to the disease ..

thank you!!!

we have now had over 100 rabbits bvaccinated using the combi vaccs ..
2 developed sores on their eyes ... one developed sores on ears just like you descride .. all 3 fully recovered .
All 3 cases were reactions to the vaccine .
If you read the info on the nivibc site it shows clearly that these are side effects ...and that if these side effects occur the rabbit with likely have a heightened imune reponse to the disease ..

I now read on the product-sheet "After infection with virulent myxoma virus some vaccinated animals may develop a few very small swellings, especially on hairless places of the body, which quickly form scabs.The scabs usually disappear within 2 weeks after the small swellings have been observed. These scabs are only observed in animals with active immunity and have no influence on the general health, appetite or behaviour of the rabbit."

That seems to be it! Then there shouldn't be any real danger in having him vaccinated again with that vaccine. I don't quite understand what "only seen in animals with active immunity" really means, though. Is that a good or a bad thing? Since my rabbit was found by my dog in the woods I don't know anything about his history, but I suppose he's never been vaccinated before (if you discard your pet like that you are probably a somewhat irresponsible rabbit-owner).

Thanks again for your swift reply, I feel very reassured.

Last edited:
Back