• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Colby, baby bun Has Myxi - Shes gone.

It might be an idea to treat the dogs/cats too. I imagine you already do them regularly but they'd be the easiest way for a flea to move from rabbit to rabbit.

Unfortunately even vaccinations aren't 100% though a bun that's been vaccinated has a much higher chance of pulling through. So, it's best to minimise the risk of fleas/flies spreading between your other rabbits as much as possible.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

yeah they have all been flea treated, ive seen a few dead fleas on the foster kittens so i know their treatment has worked
If their was any fleas on my dogs i would see them, their coats are too short

Only problem is, we do have mice, ive had pest control out 3 times already and the b@stards are still here!!!! :evil: im ringing up again tomorrow im sick to death of them, if i have to buy a load of traps off ebay i will

were just going to have to take it a day at a time at the moment,
She hasnt stopped eating all day bless her :roll: just about to put her eye drops in again, then that will do her till the morning.

Sorry Nicki, just caught up with this thread. :cry: You must be going through h*ll right now.
Here`s sending bucket loads of healing vibes to colby and supportive cyber hugs for you................................................

Su.x

she is still the same today, apart from her eyes, they look worse today so ive just cleaned them up a bit with some warm water and cotton wool and put her eye drops in, she is still eating well and drinking its just her eyes really
All the other buns seen fine.

I know there is prob no dead cert answer for this but I'll ask anyway... When will you know when she is in the clear/getting better? I assume its just of her eyes and bits reduce in swelling? Must be awful having to wait and see :cry: :cry:

loopylop said:
I know there is prob no dead cert answer for this but I'll ask anyway... When will you know when she is in the clear/getting better? I assume its just of her eyes and bits reduce in swelling? Must be awful having to wait and see :cry: :cry:

The vast majority of bunnies die within three weeks. Well cared for pet bunnies can live weeks or even months though due to the extra care and then still succumb to the disease. It also depends on the strain of the virus.

The thing with myxi is that they often look lively and alert for a long time, the only indication that something is wrong being the eyes and other swellings on the body (genitals e.g.)... particularly if they are on pain killrs. Then they suddenly go downhill within hours.

If a bunny survives, it will take a long time - generally several months - to get better and they often retain scars from the disease even then.

I hope that Colby is one of the few that make it and lots of positive thoughts are coming your way!

Vera

If it is Myxi then it will be about 6-7 weeks before you notice her start to get better, th scabs that form will start to fall off then she is recovering from it, if it is myxi though she needs Baytril daily at least 4mls and fast

Phill said:
If it is Myxi then it will be about 6-7 weeks before you notice her start to get better, th scabs that form will start to fall off then she is recovering from it, if it is myxi though she needs Baytril daily at least 4mls and fast

That's correct. Baytril will keep pneumonia in check (this is what they normally die off, not the swellings etc.). Giving her metacam is also a good idea to keep her comfortable.

Vera

Back