• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Colby, baby bun Has Myxi - Shes gone.

im going in again at 4pm to pay off some of the bill which is increasing by the second, so ill speak to the vet and see whats going on with her

oh and fivers vaccs are out of date, she needs to go back in aswell at 4 oclock, cant belive this ill be scraping the pennies off the floor in a minute, cant believe this is happening i really cant

Will your vet let you have an account?

I've just sorted one out for when I go on holiday, in case of emerencies.

I am very sorry to say that chances of recovery are very slim with myxi. I tried with my baby bunny Star, but it wasn't to be. :cry:

The following website might help and if you think that Colby is a fighter, it might well be worth giving it a go although it is extremely tiring and stressful to nurse a bunny through myxi knowing that chances of recovery are so slim. Here's the website: http://www.rguppy.freeserve.co.uk/

All my best wishes and good luck for you and Colby!

Vera

PS. And yes, it is expensive too. Treating Star (and then having her cremated) and having all the others vaccinated (7), cost me about £300...

Angie65 said:
Will your vet let you have an account?

I've just sorted one out for when I go on holiday, in case of emerencies.

no they wont do that anymore, because of all the bad payers
jsut ruins it for everyone else :evil:

thanx for the link vera, im going to have a chat with the vet when i take fiver in in a mo, and decide what is best to do for colby :? :(

One if the rabbits that came into my rescue developed Myxi very soon afterwards before I had taken her to the vet to be vaccinated, I usually do this within 24 hrs of them coming in! she showed classic signs of Myxi, I had her euthanised it was the only kind thing to do. :( then one of my own rabbits got it and he was vaccinated, weeks & weeks of antibiotics and eye drops and he survived :D

I hope Colby will be okay xxxxxxxxxxx

I couldn't see an animal suffer, as I said I had my rabbit euthanised, I often feel guilty about it and wonder if she would have made it but I know, that she would have suffered terribly :( Vinnie made but only because he had been vaccinated.

back from the vets, colby is also home, the vet has given me some Fucithalmic eye drops to put in twice a day to help the swelling,
its just a case of nursing her now over the next few days, and if she starts to go downhill then i will have to take her back in, they said if it is myxi then it is still only very early on as one eye is more swollen than the other, but they dont look as swollen as when i dropped her off this morning, plus she is still quite lively, and eating and cleaning her face.
Fingers crossed she can pull through this :( im just going to have to be SO carefull now with my own ones and only go out to them to them when absolutely nessesary :? i dont want any of them going through this aswell :(

I hope she pulls through this.

I don't want to be pessimistic, but myxi can be very deceptive and the bunnies are often lively and eat well for a couple or three weeks and then suddenly go downhill. This is what happened with my baby. She was "fine" for three weeks and then got worse within hours and died.
The course of the illness also depends on the strain that Colby has got (and yes, with swollen genitalia and puffy eyes, I am 99% sure it is myxi), some strains of myxi are less deadly than others.

I do hope you are lucky as some bunnies are (you can see some success stories on the link I gave you above), but I think you also have to be prepared for the worst.

It is a good idea to keep contact with your other rabbits to the minimum. That's what I did. I also changed my clothes every time I entered their room to avoid cross contamination.

Keep us updated on the little one. :)

Vera

Oh no Nicky, I have just posted in the RIN section and hadn't seen this :cry:

I hope Colby can make a full recovery, please keep us updated on her progress, we are thinking of you xxxx

LurcherGirl said:
I hope she pulls through this.

I don't want to be pessimistic, but myxi can be very deceptive and the bunnies are often lively and eat well for a couple or three weeks and then suddenly go downhill. This is what happened with my baby. She was "fine" for three weeks and then got worse within hours and died.
The course of the illness also depends on the strain that Colby has got (and yes, with swollen genitalia and puffy eyes, I am 99% sure it is myxi), some strains of myxi are less deadly than others.

I do hope you are lucky as some bunnies are (you can see some success stories on the link I gave you above), but I think you also have to be prepared for the worst.

It is a good idea to keep contact with your other rabbits to the minimum. That's what I did. I also changed my clothes every time I entered their room to avoid cross contamination.

Keep us updated on the little one. :)

Vera

thanx vera, just having a read of that link now some really good tips on there so i will try as many as possible,
I think i already prepared myself for the worst when the vet mentioned the word myxi, but i will still try everything possible to get her through this, i just hope she can.
She is eating and cleaning her face at the moment, ive just put the first lot of eye drops in, so will just have to see how it goes now.

Oh god, it all happens while I'm away doesn't it :? :(

I'm praying so hard that little Colby makes it

I have no 'belief' but there must be a rabbit god up there somewhere :roll:

heres my por little girly :(
Her eyes actually look alot worse in the pictures because of the drops,
but she is hopping around the cat carrier cleaning herself and eating,
im just in the middle of setting up the indoor hutch for her
you can also see she now has a little floppy ear like domino has!

poorlycolby.jpg

poorlycolby2.jpg

poorlycolby1.jpg

She is now having a munch on some washed grass

poorlycolby3.jpg

Poor little Colby. :cry: I really really hope she makes it, and if it's ok with you I'll be doing a little "energy raising" for her. Lots of positive vibes coming her (and your) way.

Come on, little Colby!!

AMETHYST

omg i'm so sorry to read this, i really hope she'll be ok especially as it's been hard finding a home for them :(

Back