• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cloudy eye, worrying about what it could be.

fluffyfred

Alpha Buck
Ninto, our youngest Nethie has had problems with one of his eyes since we got him 4 months ago. He's had Tiacil which clears his eye up then within weeks of stopping the recommended course, it starts to get infected again.

Got him booked in for a neuter this Wednesday and they are going to flush his tear duct while he's under.

Today, his eye is starting to get manky again and I've just noticed a clouding of his eye in the corner. We think he's a year old (we got him from my aunt who couldn't provide the loving home he needed), so he's only a little 'un.

He's still his cheeky self and eating and drinking normally.

Hubby managed to get a couple of photos and I'd just like opinions if possible. Could this be the beginning of a cataract?

IMG_6786.jpg

IMG_6787.jpg

On the photos, it looks like a whiteish mass but I think that's to do with the lighting. The cloudy bit itself is more of a blueish colour.

Is it likely he's got EC? I'm going to give the vets a call tomorrow and see if I can get him before Wednesday.

How would this affect his neutering if it is EC? will this increase the risks involved if I still have him neutered?

I am in the same boat as you at the moment:cry:...
All I can say is that the eye may be completly cloudy soon as that is what happened to my bun.
I am still to find out what is wrong with my bun.

My Sooty's eye went completely cloudy I thought it was cataracts but it was an ulcer. It cleared up within a week with eye cream.

I would take him to the vets for a pper diagnosis.

Can't really tell what it is from the photo - can you very gently close his upper eyelid over and see if it moves and/or is smooth or if there is any friction? does it appear to be only on the surface or deeper? Could be that he's scratched the cornea and there is an infection developing. Dont think it would be a cataract as they develop in the lens itself. He needs to see a vet asap if it is an infection to prevent scar tissue forming and him losing his sight.

Isn't cataracts just in the pupil, whereas that looks to be on the iris? Could be completely wrong, but that's what I always thought.

Isn't cataracts just in the pupil, whereas that looks to be on the iris? Could be completely wrong, but that's what I always thought.

That's what I originally thought, but I suppose I'm just panicking. I've also never had a bunny with health issues before. Ninto came to us with a gooey eye and he's been to the vets twice and we only stopped giving his latest prescription of drops a couple of weeks ago.

There is the possibility that he's just scratched it, as it must be really itchy when it keeps getting manky. I'm obviously just getting a bit panicky and thinking the worst when it could be something so simple. His last lot of drops have probably gone out of date now as he got them about a month or so ago. I'll give the vets a call tomorrow and see if they can advise. They might just give me some more Tiacil for me to use before Wednesday and then neutered and flush his tear duct as planned.

I never realised that having bunnies could cause so much worry, it's like having kids all over again:lol:

I never realised that having bunnies could cause so much worry, it's like having kids all over again:lol:

Yeah its amazing how much of a worry they are!! I don't get how neglected bunnies survive so long, and I do everything humanly possible for mine and he still gets stasis and dental problems!

vikkivet, his eye closes easily and I've felt the skin around it to check there's nothing suspect there.

He has been losing quite a bit of fur above his eye and it's started to go a patchy black but I think that's just where the fur is growing back as it felt soft and velvety on that bit.

if the white shape doesnt move when you shut his eye ie it is attached or part of the surface of his eye, its probably an ulcer from a scratch/wound. its not an emergency but he needs to see a vet tomorrow to prevent further damage to the cornea, they may dye his eye to locate the scratch.

Ok, I'll give them a call first thing in the morning. I've got an appointment at 10 which I must go to as it to do with DWP but I'll make sure that I can take him in asap.

I think I will cancel Mr Funny Bunny's neuter until next fortnight as I had them both booked in but had to buy a brand new washer today (my last one tried to drown my favourite cardy and not give it back:lol:).

I think Mr Funny Bunny will be ok to wait a couple of weeks until hubby gets paid again - Ninto's eye is far more important. He's such a little darling and so little that we worry so much about the slightest thing with him.

He loves me when I've got food and water for him but he never gives me kisses. Hubby on the other hand can walk in from work, pick him up and straight away Ninto's licking his nose!:lol:

Took him in and he's got a scratched cornea. He's got eye drops again and metacam to help with the pain.

He was good as gold as usual, bless him and he never even flinched when they gave him the first lot of metacam by injection:)

Took him in and he's got a scratched cornea. He's got eye drops again and metacam to help with the pain.

He was good as gold as usual, bless him and he never even flinched when they gave him the first lot of metacam by injection:)

D'oh - was just going to say that's what I think it is! When I was a kid, our bun had straw in her eye and it scratched her eyeball. it looked just like that.

Good news though.

I did wonder if it was his hay but then today, I was on the loo (thought I'd share it with you all :lol:) and thought ":censored:, Gizmo (one of our cats) smacked him last week, she probably scratched his eye"

The little madam was sprawled out last week and she was in Ninto's way but he doesn't speak cat and she doesn't understand bunny so she wouldn't move. He tried to jump over her but landed on her and she smacked him with her paw. I only remembered about it today and guess she may have got her claws out on him :(

He's sitting on the top of the sofa - his favourite spot - and is lovely and calm, he's a chilled little bunny.

I had to take him with me when I picked my son up from school as we had to go straight to the vets, and his teacher was all gooey over him, she's asked if we could take him in for a visit to see the children in his class when he's feeling better :love:

Back