• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Clem has had a tracheostomy, need vibes

Thanks everyone

Unfortunately if it is a congenital deficit in his soft pallet then there is no surgery. Neil has spoken to vets at **** and some top non rabbity surgeons and it just can't be done :(

Ah, right, sorry, I misunderstood. I thought one of his surgeries was to correct the defect that had been presumed to have occurred because the abscess/tumour had been pushing it out of alignment, I didn't realise that that hadn't been resolved. :(

Tentatively good news. It's been hell for you but if Clem can clear this final hurdle, what a reward for the stress... praying that he's coming home to you ....

That's brilliant news. I keep logging on for updates and wondering how he is doing and I've never met the gorgeous man so you must be going through hell.

My knowledge of biology is very poor but I was wondering why the tube couldn't just remain in place if Clem was so bouncy and lively with it there? I know humans have tracheostomy tubes fitted and they are there forever. One of my colleagues had one. That is probably a really stupid question but I'm too old to care if people think I am 'intellectually challenged' :)
Not a stupid question. Neil explained from the start why the tube can't stay permanently in a rabbit. They only last from 48 hours to 72 hours. Clem has had surgery to fit four different ones this week!

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

I'm still very much on edge but the tube is out and he is breathing :)

Once again no news will be good news until I get an update at teatime.

If I get one more sales call I may have a complete breakdown!!!

That's great! Come on Clem xxx Hope the sales calls stop and the next update is positive xx

Ah, right, sorry, I misunderstood. I thought one of his surgeries was to correct the defect that had been presumed to have occurred because the abscess/tumour had been pushing it out of alignment, I didn't realise that that hadn't been resolved. :(

Tentatively good news. It's been hell for you but if Clem can clear this final hurdle, what a reward for the stress... praying that he's coming home to you ....

I know, it's all so complicated. Basically the soft pallet was to short. He has a growth which we hoped was what was causing it to be too short as the lump was pulling the pallet back. Because the lump was an abscess rather than polyp/cyst, meaning something had caused the abscess rather than being the cause as a polyp would have been. Neil was concerned that removing the abscess wouldn't fix the problem as the pallet had a congenital deficit which would cause the abscess rather than the other way round.

It's all been very complicated to work out what is causing what as there is pneumonia, rotten teeth, abscess in two different places, a shortened pallet and a whole lot if inflammation and swelling.

It is very much a chicken and egg scenario

So basically the concern was the soft pallet was the cause rather than a symptom in which case it's game over. But the only way we would know is to correct everything else we found wrong and pray the pallet went back into place at the end so he can breathe properly on his own.

Hope that makes some sense.......

Hope that makes some sense.......

It does. It must be incredibly hard for vets to say it is going to cost X (and a lot of zeros!) then not be sure they can resolve it and knowing that the scope for it all may change part way through. Equally difficult for the owner to decide how far they can go....

We were initially quoted £700. I think we are probably up to £4000 not including the CT scan and the £1000 spent at our own vet.

None of us expected it to turn into this. Pts has been discussed many times but Clem just kept fighting and taking it all in his stride so the choice was made for us.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Just had update. It's all good:)

We are still not completely out of the woods as he is partly breathing through his neck hole. But Neil used the word fantastic :D

So pleased to see this update! GO CLEM!! :love: :love:

And it's great to hear Neil is saying fantastic, he doesn't say it very often.. Sounds like he's certainly fallen for Clem and pleased with him! I know he's still got a way to go, but it must have been so good to hear Xx

I've been following this thread and really pleased to see he is doing really well. Hope he keeps it up! Well done Clem!

Back