• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cherry and Hovis at the Bridge :(

I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to Cherry and Hovis today; it's never an easy decision to make. But I hope you can take some comfort in that you fought your best for them, and they are now both at peace and free from pain. xx

I'm really sorry Rhianna. I've had fingers crossed for these two but it sounds like it was best for them x

I am sorry that you lost them both and as hard as it was to make the decision it sounds like the right one for them both. Sweet dreams Hovis and Cherry xxx

I am so sorry you have had to say goodbye to Cherry and Hovis. Even knowing you have done the right thing doesn't make it any easier. Sleep tight brave bunnies x

Thank you all. I feel like it was too soon for cherry but the vet said hovis was in pain and I didn't want him to go through what cherry did. The kitchen looks so empty and I don't know what to do with the stable matting.

I used to have 11 buns and now only have four. I wish I could adopt more but I can't afford the vet bills. Cherry's was horrendous and I'm lucky John is so good about waiting for the money.

I forgot to take a piece of their fur too.

I'm so very sorry, Rhianna. ((((((((((((((Huge hugs)))))))))))))))
It's never easy to say goodbye, but you have been so courageous through all of this and with the other challenges you have faced. And Cherry and Hovis have been so loved and cared for by you. They were so fortunate to have you as their mum.

Try not to think of how the end has come, but for all the love and memories you have had with them to this point. I know it is hard. :cry:

Sleep well and sweet dreams, Cherry and Hovis. Please watch over your mum from the Rainbow. xxxxxxx

I am so very very sorry...you fought so hard for Cherry and Hovis, nobody could have done more.

Binky free together sweethearts.

xxx

What an awful decision to have to make ( but the right one by the sounds of it). Thinking of you. x

There's a huge bunny shaped hole in the kitchen :(:( I woke at 0500 and couldn't go back to sleep as I was thinking about them outside in the cold.

I usually adopt a needy bun when I lose one but I know that that would be madness with the state of my finances and I won't be that irresponsible. Am wondering about maybe fostering but am unsure if any of the local rescues do fostering any more. I fostered once for Cat and Rabbit Rescue but I have a feeling they discontinued the scheme.

I am usually sure I've made the right decision but it was less clear cut this time - Hovis could have had treatment, although the vet said the outlook was not good. Cherry struggled so much as a tripod I didn't want another bun to go through that and Hovis was not happy and had started to lose interest in his food. John had said he didn't think amputation was an option for Hovis when he last saw him.

I know that Hovis should have gone to the vet sooner. When I did take him the vet said it was a sore hock, gave me antibiotics and suggested I changed his flooring, which I did. I was so busy with Cherry and then went into hospital so didn't take Hovis back as soon as I should have done. Gem kindly took him for me once she realised he wasn't using his rear leg. By then he had developed an abscess. It didn't respond to treatment sadly.

I feel I've let them both down. Cherry was so brave throughout her illness and neither of them ever tried to bite me - not once, despite all the hands on nursing I had to do. They were gorgeous rabbits and I hope they are happy now at the Bridge. I do believe in an afterlife for animals as well as ourselves, which is helping a little.

Losing two in one day was hard. It happened with my cats - one was put to sleep and the other died naturally on the same day - but I've never had two animals put to sleep together before. It was overwhelming:(

:cry: You tried your best and it definately sounds like you made the right decision. Having a beloved pet pts is a horrible experience but two would be doubly painful. Hugs xxx

You've nothing to feel bad for - you done what was in their best interest and prevented them from completely losing their quality of life. You were an amazing mum to those bunnies and they were very much loved by you. No doubt about it.

I understand how difficult it is to have two pets put to sleep on the same day. I had two ferrets that I hand reared and one day they both became unwell. One developed cancer of the bone which we couldn't operate on as we'd have to remove half her ribcage and the other had what we thought might have been aseptic peritonitis but we couldn't get a proper diagnosis.

They both held on for each other until the bitter end when I took them in because they just weren't themselves. Dylan held on until he knew his sister had gone then he followed her over the bridge. I still break down thinking about them and a friend of mine even painted a picture of the last three I lost (Chance, Dylan and Sita). (Chance went about a week before Dylan & Sita).

Its never easy to say goodbye to them but you need to know that you done everything to give them the best life they could have ever asked for and I'm sure they are grateful for it and watching over you now.

Thank you. I've got four cats and two guinea-pigs but the house seems so empty without house bunnies. I still feel I let Cherry down by having her put to sleep too soon because of Hovis going to the Bridge. They had such a close bond and I couldn't have bonded her with my outdoor quad - she couldn't have coped with the concrete outside. She wasn't using her existing back leg either and her stump was sore where it was dragging on the vet bed/stable matting.

Am going to look at the Cat and Rabbit Rescue website to see if they have any indoor buns who need fostering.

You didn't let Cherry down. You knew that there wasn't going to be a happy ending for her condition, but whilst she had Hovis for company she had some fight in her. You had to let Hovis go and she would have been lost without him and so would have suffered mentally as well as physically. You did the absolute best for both of them. It wasn't a choice. Sending you lots of love and hugs xxxx

Back