• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cherry and Hovis at the Bridge :(

A very sad ending to this thread. Both Hovis and Cherry were helped to the Bridge a short time ago:cry:

Hovis' x-ray showed that his hock bone has been eaten away by infection. The vet would have sent cultures to the lab to see if there was anything that could be done but said that the only options she could see was to have the bone fused - which they couldn't do there, or for him to have his leg amputated. His other rear leg is infected too so this was unlikely to have a good outcome.

Hovis has not been happy despite me giving him tramadol. He was eating but sporadically, although he had actually put on some weight. I felt that he had had enough. I would not have had Cherry put to sleep yet but she would have been bereft without Hovis and her stump is frequently sore and bleeding where she is not using her remaining hind leg. She was eating well but watching her struggle to move around was heart-breaking. I don't think she would have coped with being bonded and once I go back to work I'll be out of the house for 8 hours at a time and she would have been lonely.

I held them one at a time while the vet injected the canula in their ears. They went to sleep quickly and peacefully and I had time with them beforehand to tell them how much I loved them. My partner was with me and he was in tears too. He has buried them in the garden for me. I had been having pets cremated because I was intending to move but I am now hoping I can stay here if I get a lodger, reduce my monthly outgoings through switching providers and access one of my pensions early on health grounds. Even if I can't get it early I am entitled to it next October anyway, which I hadn't realised until today.

I hope I've done the right thing. John said when he last saw Hovis he would not want to amputate his leg as it was a different situation to Cherry. He also intimated that the outcome for Cherry was not good. I feel bad as there is part of me that is relieved at not having to keep medicating them and bathing poor Cherry. They hated it and I felt bad keep doing it.

I just hope I didn't give up too soon:cry::cry:

I am really sorry Karen, I think you made the kindest decision for both of them. You have taken into account both their physical well-being and their psychological well-being. You put their needs first which shows true love an compassion for two dear friends

RIP Cherry and Hovis xx

I'm so sorry :cry: I think you did the kindest and best thing for them both. Binky free Cherry and Hovis xx

You made the right decision. I'm sure we all doubt ourselves after making that decision as it's the start of the grieving process. Sending you love and hugs and sleep tight love to the two little ones xxx

So, so sorry after all the hard work with Cherry it's come to this but you have so much to be proud of in the way you have cared for her and given her every chance. They have been lucky to have you fighting their corner.

I am so sorry that you had to make such a difficult decision :cry::cry::cry:

Sweet dreams Cherry and Hovis, together forever, you will be very much missed xx

I'm so very sorry you lost you're beautiful rabbits. You've shown them the ultimate act of kindness letting them find peace at the same time & to me your timing seems right. My heart goes out to you. Sweet dreams Cherry & Hovis xx

I am so sorry you had to make this hard decision for Cherry and Hovis :cry: It is heartbreaking, but I also think you have done what was right for them. Sending hugs.

So sorry to read your update. It sounds like you have made the right decision for Cherry and Hovis. Sending hugs x

I'm so very sorry for your loss. You really couldn't have done more for Cherry and Hovis. IWe all know how you feel. Bless. RIP lovely bunnies xxxxx

So sorry for your loss. It sounds like life is being difficult for you atm. Hope things look up soon. RIP Cherry and Hovis.

Oh I'm so very heart broken for you :cry: you know they are together forever at the bridge. Both strong again and free from any pain.

I'm just lost for words. Sending you the biggest hugs xx

I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to Cherry and Hovis today :cry: Such a heartbreakingly difficult decision but you did the right thing for both of them. Also sending you hugs as I know you're having a very tough time at the moment. xx

A very sad ending to this thread. Both Hovis and Cherry were helped to the Bridge a short time ago:cry:

Hovis' x-ray showed that his hock bone has been eaten away by infection. The vet would have sent cultures to the lab to see if there was anything that could be done but said that the only options she could see was to have the bone fused - which they couldn't do there, or for him to have his leg amputated. His other rear leg is infected too so this was unlikely to have a good outcome.

Hovis has not been happy despite me giving him tramadol. He was eating but sporadically, although he had actually put on some weight. I felt that he had had enough. I would not have had Cherry put to sleep yet but she would have been bereft without Hovis and her stump is frequently sore and bleeding where she is not using her remaining hind leg. She was eating well but watching her struggle to move around was heart-breaking. I don't think she would have coped with being bonded and once I go back to work I'll be out of the house for 8 hours at a time and she would have been lonely.

I held them one at a time while the vet injected the canula in their ears. They went to sleep quickly and peacefully and I had time with them beforehand to tell them how much I loved them. My partner was with me and he was in tears too. He has buried them in the garden for me. I had been having pets cremated because I was intending to move but I am now hoping I can stay here if I get a lodger, reduce my monthly outgoings through switching providers and access one of my pensions early on health grounds. Even if I can't get it early I am entitled to it next October anyway, which I hadn't realised until today.

I hope I've done the right thing. John said when he last saw Hovis he would not want to amputate his leg as it was a different situation to Cherry. He also intimated that the outcome for Cherry was not good. I feel bad as there is part of me that is relieved at not having to keep medicating them and bathing poor Cherry. They hated it and I felt bad keep doing it.

I just hope I didn't give up too soon:cry::cry:

I am so sorry Rhianna :cry:

You did the right thing by both of your beloved rabbits.

They are at peace now, having been cared for so lovingly .. RIP Cherry and Hovis xx

Nobody can doubt you always put their needs before yours and gave them all the love and care in the world. Today you gave them a final gift of love. Binky free Cherry and Hovis xx

Back