• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cheapest Rabbit Insurance?

chloaster said:
did think of insuring Lenny - who'd know whether the emergency was Lenny, Mac, Starr or Harry? Oh Yes - me - then I'd feel guilty and probably get arrested for falsely claiming!! :oops: :oops: :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I thought that too! Thing is, at least with PetPlan, you have to describe the bunny. So unless all your bunnies look the same, it's impossible! :lol:

AMETHYST

Amethyst said:
chloaster said:
did think of insuring Lenny - who'd know whether the emergency was Lenny, Mac, Starr or Harry? Oh Yes - me - then I'd feel guilty and probably get arrested for falsely claiming!! :oops: :oops: :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I thought that too! Thing is, at least with PetPlan, you have to describe the bunny. So unless all your bunnies look the same, it's impossible! :lol:

AMETHYST

:oops: :oops: :oops:

CIMG4024.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

chloaster said:
Amethyst said:
chloaster said:

AMETHYST

:oops: :oops: :oops:

CIMG4024.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant! I think you might have something there! :D

AMETHYST

Like it :D And just to make sure your plan is foolproof you could teach them all to chant "I'm Sparticus"!!!! :D

I have Jen insured with PetPlan :D

There are some other bunny insurers though - Vet2Pet and Lifelong Pet Insurance both cover buns. I think they are the same parent company (Pinnacle) but the policies and costs for each are different.

I choose to insure Jenny because I knew no one would insure Harley and I wanted to have a bit of security for at least one of them! :lol:

to be honest i don't have any of buns insured seemed pointless, i just put money in an account or use O/H's credit card when it comes to vet bills :lol: :lol:

Something you need to be prepared for is some vets will expect you to pay the bill yourself and then claim back from your insurance company.

Not so much a problem with smaller amounts but if your talking a few hundred maybe a thousand pounds not many people have got that kind of cash lying around.

We've got a savings account for vet bills and a credit card for anything that wont cover. Not terribly happy about having the credit card but it has a few thousand pounds credit limit so if something really awful were to happen we would be covered.

Louise

I went with the no insurance idea for a while, until Dec and Jan when we have ended up with £400 in vet bills!!!!! My 4 are now insured with Petplan, for £31 a month. I can't afford emergencies like that again. I don't have a credit card so don't have the luxury of that safety net in a dire emergency.

I know there's stuff thats not covered but the £400 was Grace's treatment for a retrobulbar abcess, and Smudge's emergency surgery to debride and suture an abdominal wound twice cos it got infected! All that would have been covered under petplan.

the multipet discount makes it cheaper and you get 2 months free!!!

Nicola

I have my own personal rabbits insured with petplan and and you get a discount for 3 or more. If anybody wants petplan insurance for their rabbit then you can pm me your details and can give you a voucher for six weeks free.

I received a leaflet for Lifelong Pet Insurance when I received my free bunny pack when I registered Joey at the vets.

It says:

They covers vets bills for the rabbits life as long as you renew with them.
They send a £25 voucher every year to pay for annual check-ups and boosters.
You get a month free if you insure 2 or more pets.
If you pay annually, you get the equivalent of a month's free cover.
It covers: £2000 vet fees, £250 hospitalisation fees (if you're in hospital for more than 48 hours), £250 Finding-Your-Pet fee, up to 6 months cover if you can;t work due to injury, illness or unemployment.
Pay lower premiums by paying a higher excess.

It also gives indications of the amount you pay per month depending on where you live, the kind of rabbit you have and the rabbit's age, so...

Rabbit - Nottingham - 3 years = £10.86
Rabbit - York - 1 year = £6.71
Angora - Bath - 6 months = £8.08
British Giant - London - 2 years = £13.16
Havana - Swansea - 4 years = £9.14

The only thing I don't understand is that 'An excess applies per condition per policy year'. So is this good or bad?

Also, is this better than PetPlan? It doesn't say anything about covering dental bills. I don't know who to choose, I was going to go with PetPlan as they were the only insurance company that would cover rabbits.

Their website is www.lifelong-vet.co.uk, if anyone else would like more info.

Fayeloicia said:
The only thing I don't understand is that 'An excess applies per condition per policy year'. So is this good or bad?

That's the same as Pet Plan - you have to pay an excess for every condition, and once your policy year ends you have to pay the excess again if you continue claiming.
Just pray that your bunny doesn't get ill 2 days before your policy year ends!

Fayeloicia said:
I received a leaflet for Lifelong Pet Insurance when I received my free bunny pack when I registered Joey at the vets.

It says:

They covers vets bills for the rabbits life as long as you renew with them.
They send a £25 voucher every year to pay for annual check-ups and boosters.
You get a month free if you insure 2 or more pets.
If you pay annually, you get the equivalent of a month's free cover.
It covers: £2000 vet fees, £250 hospitalisation fees (if you're in hospital for more than 48 hours), £250 Finding-Your-Pet fee, up to 6 months cover if you can;t work due to injury, illness or unemployment.
Pay lower premiums by paying a higher excess.

It also gives indications of the amount you pay per month depending on where you live, the kind of rabbit you have and the rabbit's age, so...

Rabbit - Nottingham - 3 years = £10.86
Rabbit - York - 1 year = £6.71
Angora - Bath - 6 months = £8.08
British Giant - London - 2 years = £13.16
Havana - Swansea - 4 years = £9.14

Also, is this better than PetPlan? It doesn't say anything about covering dental bills. I don't know who to choose, I was going to go with PetPlan as they were the only insurance company that would cover rabbits.

Their website is www.lifelong-vet.co.uk, if anyone else would like more info.

Thanks for that, i will look into that one :D

Back