• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chance of survival in wild?

I hope you are able to find your lost bunny.
Not to give any false hope, but I live in interior Alaska. We have all manner of predators here; fox, wolf, bear, eagle, random dogs and cats, etc. We have some rather careless neighbors who allow their bunnies free roam all year, even in -40 F, (NOT something I recommend or endorse, mind you, it drives me crazy that they voluntarily let their bunnies out in the elements), and I have still seen these rabbits on occasion hopping about usually very late at night or early in the morning. The rest of the day/night they are probably under my house. :shock:
One English Spot has been here since last August and he/she shows few signs of being outdoors except for when it rains and it's bum gets messy from mud. Still, it makes me so sad to see them wandering about.
I am hoping very much that the dig holes are because this is your bunny and you can be successful in recapturing him. :) xxxxx

About 3 years ago, we were driving along the (very busy) main road and seen a baby dutch bunny on the side, so we pulled over and tried to catch it. Even went home and got pellets and treats and tried to catch it, but failed and I was beside myself thinking he / she would definitely never live... 3 years on, we still see him / her! Quite near to where I seen it first, and since then, they've knocked all the woods down and flattened it ready to build houses - not only is he / she still there, there's an entire family or varying dutchiness markings, I often go and sit in the park and watch them playing! Obviously I don't know if it is that very same bunny, but sure does have the same markings (half dutch at the front like my rupesy) and the babies / other family are varying white marks / brown bits.
So, my point is, that the chances of them coping and living may well be slim, but not impossible :)

About 3 years ago, we were driving along the (very busy) main road and seen a baby dutch bunny on the side, so we pulled over and tried to catch it. Even went home and got pellets and treats and tried to catch it, but failed and I was beside myself thinking he / she would definitely never live... 3 years on, we still see him / her! Quite near to where I seen it first, and since then, they've knocked all the woods down and flattened it ready to build houses - not only is he / she still there, there's an entire family or varying dutchiness markings, I often go and sit in the park and watch them playing! Obviously I don't know if it is that very same bunny, but sure does have the same markings (half dutch at the front like my rupesy) and the babies / other family are varying white marks / brown bits.
So, my point is, that the chances of them coping and living may well be slim, but not impossible :)

That's lovely! Me thinks you should try & get some photos of the dutch / wildie crosses .

I so hope this bunny is reunited with you

Aw that's such a lovely story, fills me with hope :)

You might find a local rescue could loan you a humane trap like they use for trapping cats if it is him and you can't get close.

If you wanted to try a little detective work. Having an area of damp mud, lose soil or sand with some veggies in the middle may give you tracks - rabbits are fairly easy to identify.
The wet mud or sand is a fantastic idea :thumb: especially with his favourite nibble in middle then you will see the tracks :) hope you find out who's making the dig holes soon. Sending lots of vibes that it's Winnie and he can be home again.

The wet mud or sand is a fantastic idea :thumb: especially with his favourite nibble in middle then you will see the tracks :) hope you find out who's making the dig holes soon. Sending lots of vibes that it's Winnie and he can be home again.
Thank you [emoji4]

I've caught one rabbit and taken it to a rescue recently - that had been straying for at least 3 months. And tried unsuccessfully to catch a second one which had been out for at least 6 months! I think a lot depends on the environment they are in and whether they have somewhere burrow-like that they can dash to to avoid predators. Good luck.

Someone had dumped a rabbit near to where we live - heaven knows how long it had been there, we only happened to see it because we had to use the route as a detour but it is quite remote. She is now in the company of us and two other bunnies so they can survive, I just don't know how long this one had been there... was at least a fortnight, if it can survive a fortnight then who knows. I really hope you get him back x

That's lovely! Me thinks you should try & get some photos of the dutch / wildie crosses .

I so hope this bunny is reunited with you

I have a few blurry ones, taken on my phone but i'll go with my proper camera one of these days, they're in a park so I try not to draw attention to them cos you know what ppl can be like - ooh look, rabbits my dog will love chasing them... etc etc

Nope, there are plenty of dig holes in my garden but no sign that anythings been there for around a week, I still check everyday though.

I know this sounds silly - but try making some fresh soil heaps yourself (using a garden trowel obviously not you fingers!!!).

If there is a rabbit around any rabbit will instinctively then want to disturb this, add their own soil, and own poo or pee. Its a territorial thing - they all do it!!!

Take a photo of the soil YOU have created and compare it after a couple of nights to see if any disturbance.

Back