• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you freeze grass for the winter?

lilgems91

Mama Doe
My dental bun Ben eats a large quantity of grass a day which I pick for him, and hates eating hay, he will only eat a small amount of it.

Last winter was awful, I couldnt get him any grass because of the cold weather it had all died and gone horrible. I did have a go at growing him some, but there was nowhere near enough for him, and that eventually died too :(

Strange thought, but is it possible to freeze grass until the winter for him? Thought I would ask as this is the only idea I have at the moment for this coming winter.

I do buy readigrass but cant give him too much because he can suffer from bladder sludge :(

Unfortunately not, The freezig breaks down the cellulose walls that plant cells are made of so on defrosting you end up with a slimy mass. Making hay is almost as quick but much more successful ;)

Try him on a little home made hay, I think you may be surprised!

Thanks for the replies both! How exactly do you make home made hay?? Im willing to try anything for him :)

He does have readigrass Jenova, but I dont give much because he got bladder problems from it a while back. He has unlimited freshly cut grass every day, we just become unstuck in the winter because it dies and goes all mushy :(

Have you thought of growing grass in seed trays , we do that here and it works well for buns who aren't so keen in hay etc.

Have you thought of growing grass in seed trays , we do that here and it works well for buns who aren't so keen in hay etc.

i think the op tried this and said it died too
have you tried to make toys filled with hay it might interest him more, like toilet roll tubes filled with hay etc, or have you tried any herb hay like burgess sell

erm.. re freezing grass, would it work if you blanched them like you do before freezing green beans (boil for 30 seconds before freezing) etc. and things, or would kill of all the nutrients?

I've tried filling lots of toys with hat but he doesn't seem interested in them :(

I have no idea about blanching the grass before freezing, has anyone tried this??

I've tried filling lots of toys with hat but he doesn't seem interested in them :(

I have no idea about blanching the grass before freezing, has anyone tried this??

Trouble with blanching is it is basically part cooking it, I don't know if I would want to feed cooked grass :s
Have you ever had the pleasure of defrosting frozen spinach? Eeeeewwwwwww:lol:

Back