• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can this be anything but cancer?? UD 2/11 She's gone :'(

I honestly don't know. I would hope so, I am sure she will give him every chance, but it's difficult when it is a big powerful Dobe :( she couldn't get him to get off as he was attacking her, he is just so big and strong.

I think the same with Franks too, almost just to let her eat like a queen for whatever she has left :) My daughter has just came in as I am typing this and said she is eating her pellets :love:

I am glad you have some positive news. Also, please give your sister a hug for me. The circumstances and extent of the attack should dictate the course of action, as should the likelihood of it happening again with herself or anyone else, even a child.

Thank you bunny momma xx

My sister has a behaviourist coming out to them this week. Him and the other dog who lives next door hate each other, I don't know how there will be a way around them hearing each other which is a worry if it triggers hers to snap. She had to be off work as she is too injured to drive. Her hand took the brunt of it.

Frankie is a little quiet today. Any little sign I worry so much as I don't want her to get to the point of suffering. I put their heater on and she has been resting where she can feel the warmth :love: as soon as I showed her her favourite ball she started dashing around chasing it, although I took it back out again as I didn't want to cause her breathing to be made worse. I want to make sure I have a video of her playing with it but equally don't know if I want a video of her knowing she is so poorly in it. She looks poorly too as she has been shaved for the scans :( If that makes sense?

Hi. Glad Frankie feels a bit better today. Take as many pics and vids as you can. You will always have a record. You won't always be able to look at them but you'll be glad you got them. I had bunnies years ago but haven't got pics of them. If we had a camera we couldn't always afford to get the films developed. Thank god for digital cameras now! Love to Frankie. xxxxx

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I hope Frankie makes continued improvement. You are better off taking the video of her, even if she is not looking her best. It can be like the blurry home movies my dad took of us when we got up on Christmas morning-talk about bad hair days (not to mention the droopy pajama bottoms from the worn elastic), but the joy on our faces said it all.

I thought I would do a little update on Frankie. She has been doing so well, you would almost not know she is so unwell apart from the fast breathing and the feel of her body. She is eating well, really well infact and for the most part acting quite normal.

I managed to get her an Ikea bed this weekend which was a silly thing I was upset about that she had not had the chance to have one yet :oops: my son was playing football almost halfway on the way to Ikea so after the match OH drove us there to go and get some of the beds. I felt so sad buying only two, even though we have three bunnies, knowing that Lola will inherit Frankies when she has gone :( she was so interested in it and loved jumping on and off and investigating it, but decided to try and put her head through the gap so I had to take it out as she has a tiny head, we will need to modify it to make it safer.

I have been at work this morning, but when I got home she has developed a bit of a cough/sneeze. She had done that occasionally a few weeks ago when she got herself in a tizz when I tried to get her in her carrier (she hates it) but now it seems to be happening for no reason. Is this a sign of her being in the very end stage? She has Baytril and Sulfratrim along with her Loxicom, but she has been mostly leaving the first two (she has to have it on kale) and she has got wise to my medicine giving tricks. I figured she did not have long left anyway so didn't want to force and stress her to have them as they are no cure.

I am struggling quite a bit with the not knowing when the inevitable will happen :( neither can I take control of that and book a day for PTS. It doesn't feel right yet. When I had to make that choice for a bunny I had years ago, I just knew when. Where as this time I don't get that same feeling.

Sorry for the big rambling post. It really helps to write it down & speak with you guys. My OH has just gone pretty quiet over the whole thing with me when at home. Although I don't really know what else I am expecting of him really!? Then yesterday he was making a joke out of having to spend more money on the vet bills for scans etc when speaking to my sister (we were referred to my sisters vets). Sure have a little joke about the vet bills but not when the outcome has been such an upsetting one and one that he sees me struggle with on a daily basis. If it wasn't at my daughters birthday meal I would have likely told him off and cried! He has a habit of being really insensitive at times, it's embarrassing.

I thought I would do a little update on Frankie. She has been doing so well, you would almost not know she is so unwell apart from the fast breathing and the feel of her body. She is eating well, really well infact and for the most part acting quite normal.

I managed to get her an Ikea bed this weekend which was a silly thing I was upset about that she had not had the chance to have one yet :oops: my son was playing football almost halfway on the way to Ikea so after the match OH drove us there to go and get some of the beds. I felt so sad buying only two, even though we have three bunnies, knowing that Lola will inherit Frankies when she has gone :( she was so interested in it and loved jumping on and off and investigating it, but decided to try and put her head through the gap so I had to take it out as she has a tiny head, we will need to modify it to make it safer.

I have been at work this morning, but when I got home she has developed a bit of a cough/sneeze. She had done that occasionally a few weeks ago when she got herself in a tizz when I tried to get her in her carrier (she hates it) but now it seems to be happening for no reason. Is this a sign of her being in the very end stage? She has Baytril and Sulfratrim along with her Loxicom, but she has been mostly leaving the first two (she has to have it on kale) and she has got wise to my medicine giving tricks. I figured she did not have long left anyway so didn't want to force and stress her to have them as they are no cure.

I am struggling quite a bit with the not knowing when the inevitable will happen :( neither can I take control of that and book a day for PTS. It doesn't feel right yet. When I had to make that choice for a bunny I had years ago, I just knew when. Where as this time I don't get that same feeling.

Sorry for the big rambling post. It really helps to write it down & speak with you guys. My OH has just gone pretty quiet over the whole thing with me when at home. Although I don't really know what else I am expecting of him really!? Then yesterday he was making a joke out of having to spend more money on the vet bills for scans etc when speaking to my sister (we were referred to my sisters vets). Sure have a little joke about the vet bills but not when the outcome has been such an upsetting one and one that he sees me struggle with on a daily basis. If it wasn't at my daughters birthday meal I would have likely told him off and cried! He has a habit of being really insensitive at times, it's embarrassing.

Oh I'm so sorry. There's a lot in this here post of yours :)

Lots of stuff going on, and of course it's difficult and painful with Frankie and her situation at the moment.

No one knows how long she has. No one can predict that, or whether you should think about PTS .. even some time in the future.

So, instead of worrying about the when, why not focus on the 'now' a bit more? The main (and only) important thing is Frankie's quality of life right now. Of course when our animals have 'down times', we don't assume they are leaving us. We hope that they will get over that particular episode and get back on track again.

Perhaps you could call the vet and ask whether being more diligent about the Baytril and Septrin would make any difference in their opinion. You don't want to stress her out, but equally it may get her over this current breathing hurdle. Perhaps adding a bit of echinacea to the mix may help? At least it won't do any harm.

There have been times where I have thought a particular bunny of mine didn't have long left. They have, on occasions, proved me totally wrong. They are very mysterious creatures, that's for sure :D

Weighing up the medicating against quality of life is probably a decision only you can take, as you know her so well. She won't blame you whatever decision you make. You can only do your best.

And as for your OH - we all have ways of coping. And I'm sure if you confronted him, he would probably say he didn't mean to be upsetting?

With regards to Frankie, and 'knowing when' ... I would say that if you don't know when the time is, I guess it isn't right now. So live and love the life you both have together now. Breathe deeply ...

Did the scans show any evidence of fluid in the chest cavity ? This can occur in the later stages of lung and/or heart disease and it can present as increased respiratory rate/effort, sneezing with or without a watery nasal discharge. In such cases a diuretic can help shift the fluid and make the Rabbit feel generally more comfortable. I have seen this to be the case for several Rabbits in the end stage of lung disease/cancers. Maybe you could ask your Vet if a diuretic may be an option for Frankie ?

It is very hard for us when caring for a terminally ill Rabbit. It is all well and good knowing on an intellectual level that no Rabbit can live forever and that as our particular terminally ill Rabbit is currently feeling OK within themselves we 'should' just live in the moment with them and not stress about what the next days may bring, but we are only mere humans and sometimes it is just not possible to stop 'over-thinking'. At least it is not possible for me. We, the Rabbit Care givers, know the reality of the situation where-as the Rabbit knows only how they are feeling at any given moment. If they feel OK then as far as they are concerned all is well. Of course that is wonderful, we would not want our little friends to be fearful of what may happen as a result of an illness. It is a blessing that they have no idea about it all. But we do know, we do fear and at times it is simply not possible to keep a grip on it all. So post as often as you need to. How you feel is how you feel, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' way for us to emotionally/psychologically deal with caring for a terminally ill Rabbit.

Sorry for the delayed reply but thank you both for your replies xx

The scan didn't show fluid I don't think, but I guess that is a possibility. However I feel she has taken a turn for the worse today. She actually is not doing that cough/sneezy thing like yesterday, but it looks like her breathing is a little more laboured. She has still been excited for treats and eating/grooming/pooping, but I think tomorrow may be time to let her go :( x

ETA Apologies for lack of detailed reply properly answering your posts, I am struggling a bit right now, I really do appreciate them though xx

Last edited:
Sorry for the delayed reply but thank you both for your replies xx

The scan didn't show fluid I don't think, but I guess that is a possibility. However I feel she has taken a turn for the worse today. She actually is not doing that cough/sneezy thing like yesterday, but it looks like her breathing is a little more laboured. She has still been excited for treats and eating/grooming/pooping, but I think tomorrow may be time to let her go :( x

ETA Apologies for lack of detailed reply properly answering your posts, I am struggling a bit right now, I really do appreciate them though xx

You have no need to apologise and I am pleased to hear back from you.

However, I am very sorry to hear about Frankie. Take your time to decide - she sounds like she will wait for you :) Bless her little heart :love:

I feel for you. I am here if you need a shoulder. Or anything.

Take care, ((( hugs ))) xx

Thank you so much, your kind words have helped me so much through this xxx

I have had so many bunnies in the past but this has by far been the most difficult thing I have ever faced with any of them at the end of their lives, it has really knocked me for six.

I have been sitting with Frankie, she is asking for head strokes :love: I have let her eat like a queen today and she has been so normal. I think that is part of why I am finding it hard, normally if she has even a slight problem she looks and acts sad, but she really has not with this, even though her little body is clearly failing her fairly quickly :(

Thank you so much, your kind words have helped me so much through this xxx

I have had so many bunnies in the past but this has by far been the most difficult thing I have ever faced with any of them at the end of their lives, it has really knocked me for six.

I have been sitting with Frankie, she is asking for head strokes :love: I have let her eat like a queen today and she has been so normal. I think that is part of why I am finding it hard, normally if she has even a slight problem she looks and acts sad, but she really has not with this, even though her little body is clearly failing her fairly quickly :(

Yes they are contradictory little creatures aren't they?

I may be wrong, but I feel she senses that you need her to be strong. When 'the time' comes, of course you will be the strong one. Sometimes there isn't a right or wrong time to let them go. There is just 'the' time. And that time is right whenever it comes.

I have fostered a lot of rabbits, and they behave in different ways when it comes to that time. Some do 'brave up' right until the end, and make their Mom feel guilty ... It doesn't alter the 'rightness' of what you have to do, though :)

She is definitely going against the grain of any other bunny I have ever had, which pretty much sums her up completely. She has been such a unique little character :love:

You and Frankie remain in my thoughts, I know that there are no words that can make this all any less painful for you. It is clear that Frankie is an extra special Rabbit and I totally understand that xx

Thank you MightyMax xx she sure is, you know sometimes a bunny will come along and just have that little something extra about them, she is that bunny :love:

This morning she had noticeably changed, got up when I sat in with her, but wasn't interested in her ball which she gets so excited when she sees it, or her fave treat. I went and rang OH to tell him I was ringing the vet to book her for PTS, came back in and she was up and tucking in to food. She really is rallying through this, I can't work her out. I think I still need to make that call though. If not for this evening, then certainly for tomorrow.

Me, I am a wreck! I honestly think I have cried more in this past couple of weeks than probably the whole of the last decade. I can't concentrate on anything and feel like I am neglecting her sisters as I am spending so much time with Frankie while I can. Thank you for asking, I hope all is ok with you and your furry family xxx

Thank you MightyMax xx she sure is, you know sometimes a bunny will come along and just have that little something extra about them, she is that bunny :love:

This morning she had noticeably changed, got up when I sat in with her, but wasn't interested in her ball which she gets so excited when she sees it, or her fave treat. I went and rang OH to tell him I was ringing the vet to book her for PTS, came back in and she was up and tucking in to food. She really is rallying through this, I can't work her out. I think I still need to make that call though. If not for this evening, then certainly for tomorrow.

Me, I am a wreck! I honestly think I have cried more in this past couple of weeks than probably the whole of the last decade. I can't concentrate on anything and feel like I am neglecting her sisters as I am spending so much time with Frankie while I can. Thank you for asking, I hope all is ok with you and your furry family xxx

You're welcome, it's the least I can do. I know this feeling too well ... And little Frankie seems she is not making it any easier for you!!

I do feel you are right to plan the way forward. Nothing is set in stone, and when it comes to it, you can go through with it, or delay it even at the last moment. Whatever your gut feeling and little Frankie say to you.

I am here, just in case you need another hand to hold ....... :)

I understand why you are so torn with Frankie. You don't want her to suffer, but you also do not want to make a final decision when she is happy. We all can relate to making ourselves crazy-bouncing back and forth between one decision and another.
There is no right or wrong answer in these situations. You have my support whatever you decide, or even if you do not decide.

I understand why you are so torn with Frankie. You don't want her to suffer, but you also do not want to make a final decision when she is happy. We all can relate to making ourselves crazy-bouncing back and forth between one decision and another.
There is no right or wrong answer in these situations. You have my support whatever you decide, or even if you do not decide.

A lovely empathetic post, as is always the case from bunny momma. I completely concur with all of it.

Back