• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can this be anything but cancer?? UD 2/11 She's gone :'(

Sorry only just come back to this. Glad you are getting expert help for her. I hope you get all the answers you need today. Good luck x

Yes that is true xxx I will always remember a couple of years ago, one of my friends (who doesn't pay compliments often!) said that if Frankie had gone to the other family who came in to get her after I did, that she didn't think she would still be here now after all her problems. So hopefully if she has been destined to a shorter life with these problems, I have managed to give her extra time than she may otherwise have had.

I have a parents meeting at school later (goodness knows how I will get through that, may well have to skip it) so they may wait to ring until after then as the vet noted I was unavailable Around those times. I just wish I could be there with her :(

You have so much on your plate right now .. I really hope all works out well at the vets, and I will be thinking of you all today :)

Thank you both, I really truly appreciate it xx

I just had a call from the vet, they have found lumps in her lungs on the X-ray, But so far do not know whether it is cancer or something from an infection? They are going to take a look at her again in a bit and see if they can find anymore sites around her body that it may have spread from.

Either way I don't think that it is good news and can't see there will be anyway of fixing this :'(

Thank you both, I really truly appreciate it xx

I just had a call from the vet, they have found lumps in her lungs on the X-ray, But so far do not know whether it is cancer or something from an infection? They are going to take a look at her again in a bit and see if they can find anymore sites around her body that it may have spread from.

Either way I don't think that it is good news and can't see there will be anyway of fixing this :'(

I'm so sorry. Sending hugs ...

I know it's so difficult when we can't fix things, or see a way of improving them.
Thinking of you xx

I don't know what to do, we can bring her home and let her be as comfortable as poss for her time left which doesn't sound long or have her sedated (a risk while she has compromised respiration) and have the lump aspirated to see if there is a tiny chance of granuloma caused either by fungal or bacterial and treatment by a correct anti biotic. I don't know what to do :( this is so hard :( I have never came across it before and can't think straight :(

Edit to add They couldn't see that it was spread from anywhere else. They also didn't have to sedate her for the X-ray and scan earlier, which in itself is a worry as she is not normally handle able.

Last edited:
I don't know what to do, we can bring her home and let her be as comfortable as poss for her time left which doesn't sound long or have her sedated (a risk while she has compromised respiration) and have the lump aspirated to see if there is a tiny chance of granuloma caused either by fungal or bacterial and treatment by a correct anti biotic. I don't know what to do :( this is so hard :( I have never came across it before and can't think straight :(

Edit to add They couldn't see that it was spread from anywhere else. They also didn't have to sedate her for the X-ray and scan earlier, which in itself is a worry as she is not normally handle able.

If it were me, I wouldn't have a sedation and lump aspiration. I would live each day as fully as possible with her :)

Just like we said on PM, borrowed time can be painful, but it's precious ....

Take care - ((( hugs ))) whatever you decide to do xx

Thank you MightyMax, that saying is so so true and will stick with me over the coming days/weeks xxx

In the end I chose to bring her home with no aspiration. She has a cocktail of drugs, Baytril, Loxicom and Sulfratrim in a bid to maybe slowdown any progress and keep any extra infection away. The vet was great and showed me her x rays and explained everything really well. She has one lump on one side and what looks like little ones on the other side as if it is spreading. When I collected her she thumped at me to show me she was mad at me, I got another when I put her back in her run, typical Frankie spirit! She is settling in ok back home, has drunk, nibbled some hay and a treat and been in her litter tray. I am gutted and heartbroken, but going to have to be brave & stop falling apart at the drop of a hat and take each day as it comes.

Thank you everyone for your support xxx

Thank you MightyMax, that saying is so so true and will stick with me over the coming days/weeks xxx

In the end I chose to bring her home with no aspiration. She has a cocktail of drugs, Baytril, Loxicom and Sulfratrim in a bid to maybe slowdown any progress and keep any extra infection away. The vet was great and showed me her x rays and explained everything really well. She has one lump on one side and what looks like little ones on the other side as if it is spreading. When I collected her she thumped at me to show me she was mad at me, I got another when I put her back in her run, typical Frankie spirit! She is settling in ok back home, has drunk, nibbled some hay and a treat and been in her litter tray. I am gutted and heartbroken, but going to have to be brave & stop falling apart at the drop of a hat and take each day as it comes.

I am sorry that the news is not good. I hope that Frankie can remain as comfortable as possible. For us carers we know the reality of the situation, the effected Rabbit only knows how they feel at any given moment. If they feel OK within themselves then as far as they are concerned there is nothing to worry about. As carers I guess we just have to try to 'live in the moment' too and try not to focus on what the next day/week/month may bring regarding our Rabbit's illness.
Keep posting about the situation and how you are doing if it helps. At least you know that most of us understand.

PM me anytime. I am here :) xx

So very sorry Frankie ' s news is not good. At least you know now and you can keep her comfortable. Although it's horrible for you, you can know she is happy at home with you. As has been said before, rabbits live in the now and aren't concerned about the future. Be brave, you are doing so well. Much love to you all xxx

Thank you all so much. I appreciate you all listening, being understanding and giving such good advice. I am just back in from being at work all day, I couldn't bear to leave her and as soon as I got dropped off I was crying. Really not very good at this!

She is very quiet this evening, and grunted at me when I went to stroke her in her bed where she had gone for quiet time. I don't know if she is still traumatised from her vet trip & long car journey yesterday or has got worse that quickly :( her breathing is still the same, no worse but she wasn't overly bothered by her treat I gave her either. The true test will be later tonight when she is normally much more active and I can judge better.

I really think I am going to have to make the decision sooner rather than later though :( I feel so bad, she was so happy before I took her yesterday :(

Thank you all so much. I appreciate you all listening, being understanding and giving such good advice. I am just back in from being at work all day, I couldn't bear to leave her and as soon as I got dropped off I was crying. Really not very good at this!

She is very quiet this evening, and grunted at me when I went to stroke her in her bed where she had gone for quiet time. I don't know if she is still traumatised from her vet trip & long car journey yesterday or has got worse that quickly :( her breathing is still the same, no worse but she wasn't overly bothered by her treat I gave her either. The true test will be later tonight when she is normally much more active and I can judge better.

I really think I am going to have to make the decision sooner rather than later though :( I feel so bad, she was so happy before I took her yesterday :(

How are you both feeling today? x

Thank you for asking, I'm feeling a little better and (braver!) about it all today. Frankie seems ok, she is sleepy and hiding right now, but starting to be less wary of me again and happier to take treats from me instead of totally shunning them and making me more worried like yesterday. She has totally stopped eating pellets though, she was eating them with gusto before the vet trip. As the slightest hint of being off she would normally leave them, so I am hoping this is just still from the trauma of handling, vets, car journey etc.

Unfortunately we have had another trauma today my sisters big dog turned on her on a walk and she has ended up in hospital. She is home now and ok, has been patched up, but now in turmoil over what to do with her dog. I think this morning another dog started on him, my sister pulled her dog away, then later took him out for a walk and he turned for no reason. It looks like he will be PTS and is only 4 & she adores him, :( this week really sucks.

I hope you and your little guy are ok xxx

Thank you for asking, I'm feeling a little better and (braver!) about it all today. Frankie seems ok, she is sleepy and hiding right now, but starting to be less wary of me again and happier to take treats from me instead of totally shunning them and making me more worried like yesterday. She has totally stopped eating pellets though, she was eating them with gusto before the vet trip. As the slightest hint of being off she would normally leave them, so I am hoping this is just still from the trauma of handling, vets, car journey etc.

Unfortunately we have had another trauma today my sisters big dog turned on her on a walk and she has ended up in hospital. She is home now and ok, has been patched up, but now in turmoil over what to do with her dog. I think this morning another dog started on him, my sister pulled her dog away, then later took him out for a walk and he turned for no reason. It looks like he will be PTS and is only 4 & she adores him, :( this week really sucks.

I hope you and your little guy are ok xxx

Oh I'm so sorry to hear all this! How awful! Won't her dog be given another chance in the circumstances?

I hope Frankie nibbles up a little more. I am feeling that buying a muesli mix might be a good way to tempt eating when they are bored of pellets. When they have limited time, I think it perks them up to have a bit of a treat ... Might put a bit more weight on also?

Oh I'm so sorry to hear all this! How awful! Won't her dog be given another chance in the circumstances?

I hope Frankie nibbles up a little more. I am feeling that buying a muesli mix might be a good way to tempt eating when they are bored of pellets. When they have limited time, I think it perks them up to have a bit of a treat ... Might put a bit more weight on also?

I honestly don't know. I would hope so, I am sure she will give him every chance, but it's difficult when it is a big powerful Dobe :( she couldn't get him to get off as he was attacking her, he is just so big and strong.

I think the same with Franks too, almost just to let her eat like a queen for whatever she has left :) My daughter has just came in as I am typing this and said she is eating her pellets :love:

I honestly don't know. I would hope so, I am sure she will give him every chance, but it's difficult when it is a big powerful Dobe :( she couldn't get him to get off as he was attacking her, he is just so big and strong.

I think the same with Franks too, almost just to let her eat like a queen for whatever she has left :) My daughter has just came in as I am typing this and said she is eating her pellets :love:

Ah bless :love: Long may it last! x

Back