• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can this be anything but cancer?? UD 2/11 She's gone :'(

Aww I am sorry you lost a bunny to it :( My very first girl bunny in around 1994 was called Back Velvet too :love:

Yes, night time does seem to be a horrible time for poorly buns, and it makes you not want to leave them. I have stayed up until gone 3am until I can't stay up any longer! xxx

I need to check back on your thread and see how you are now, sorry to hear you are still poorly. My head is the same, a horrible pain with every cough making me want to clutch at my head to try and lower the pain somehow! My lungs feel exhausted too and while at work this morning I realised all my stomach muscles were painful from so much coughing!

Yesterday Frankie had a good morning so I just could not make the call. She came out excited for treats and went and drunk her water (I had been worried she had been forgetting to go to her bowl). I have been at work today, hate having to go and leave her, but I just got back and she seems the same. I know it is best to let them go a day early than a day too late, but she seems ok. Certainly not showing me that she has had enough yet.

I need to check back on your thread and see how you are now, sorry to hear you are still poorly. My head is the same, a horrible pain with every cough making me want to clutch at my head to try and lower the pain somehow! My lungs feel exhausted too and while at work this morning I realised all my stomach muscles were painful from so much coughing!

Yesterday Frankie had a good morning so I just could not make the call. She came out excited for treats and went and drunk her water (I had been worried she had been forgetting to go to her bowl). I have been at work today, hate having to go and leave her, but I just got back and she seems the same. I know it is best to let them go a day early than a day too late, but she seems ok. Certainly not showing me that she has had enough yet.

Glad to hear there's some peace reigning in your house :)

As for when to let them go .. Some people decide it's best a day early than late, but I think it's a difficult call whenever. The only thing I know, is it's a good idea to decide now not to beat yourself up about it when it happens!

Frankie will let you know when she's had enough, and if you're one day late, but she wasn't suffering, then be kind to yourself. She would prefer you to be easy on yourself :)

My beautiful little Frankie went to the bridge this afternoon :( It can't have happened long before my OH found her, which makes me so sad that I wasn't with her at the end which I desperately wanted to be. Instead I was on the sofa on my darn phone about 5 meters away from her room and I didn't know. That will haunt me forever :( she had been excited for her treat earlier and nibbled a bit of hay. She never quite gave up her Frankie spirit :love:

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and messages throughout this thread, it has meant so so much to me, and I hope to be able to be as much of a support to you all when I can and hope to write her a rainbow bridge post soon too.

Sweet dreams Frankie xxx

My beautiful little Frankie went to the bridge this afternoon :( It can't have happened long before my OH found her, which makes me so sad that I wasn't with her at the end which I desperately wanted to be. Instead I was on the sofa on my darn phone about 5 meters away from her room and I didn't know. That will haunt me forever :( she had been excited for her treat earlier and nibbled a bit of hay. She never quite gave up her Frankie spirit :love:

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and messages throughout this thread, it has meant so so much to me, and I hope to be able to be as much of a support to you all when I can and hope to write her a rainbow bridge post soon too.

Sweet dreams Frankie xxx

I am very sorry :cry:

RIP Frankie xx

Oh no I am so very sorry.

Sounds like it was very quick and she was in a familiar safe place so don't be too hard on yourself. All the love and care you have given her these past few months are what counts not just the last few minutes xxx

Oh I'm so sorry to see that she has gone. :cry:
I agree with Hugo's There, you gave her so much care and comfort and never gave up on her. This is what she takes to the Bridge with her, along with your love which will always keep you connected. ((((((((((((((((((((((((Huge hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Thinking of you and sending comforting vibes your way.
Sleep well, Frankie, you brave little soldier, you. xxxxxxxx

Sweet dreams Frankie xxx

Love and hugs to you xx

Frankie knew when it was her time, and went. Sometimes they wait until you're out of the way (a bit like cats do) so that they can avoid emotion and possible drama. Just to go quietly .. sort of sneak off to rainbow bridge.

Don't be haunted by this. If it were not the way Frankie wanted it, she wouldn't have done it this way. She was a girl of spirit to the end.

I'm so very sorry. You must be devastated. At least she was home where she felt safe.
You didn't have to make the final decision. RIP brave Frankie. Lots of love and hugs to you. xxxxx

I am so sorry to hear of your loss of your fur baby - They leave such big holes in our hearts - PLEASE PLEASE don't beat yourself up, I agree I think they wait until your not there so you don't have to see it, to help you have peace.. My Merlin did the same just a week ago, he was fine all the while I stayed up with him, went to sleep for a quick nap and he went in this time too :(

I'm so so sorry and I hope he is binkying free over the Rainbow Bridge.. And much love and hugs to you xxx

Aww Binky free wee Frankie a much cared for and loved bun,don't feel bad about not being there at the time she left,maybe she wanted to spare you and left for the bridge.:cry:

Thank you all for your messages and kind words. I feel utterly heartbroken and just want my little Frankie Doodle back :cry: She really was a special little bunny xxx

Thank you xxx My heart feels like is physically aches, I miss her so so much. I can't bare the thought of her in cold storage at the vets waiting to be collected for cremation on Thursday, I just want her home and happy and healthy like she used to be :cry:

Back