• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Calling rescues - an hours drive from herts/camb

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Posted oh behalf cjmaclean

I am contacting you on behalf of Heathlands Animal Sanctuary in Royston, Hertfordshire. The lady who runs the rescue (Gillian Knight) is not computer literate and relies on me (a volunteer) to post her photos and take emails, etc. I have been doing this for her for the past two years or so.

She rang me tonight with a crisis on her hands. Her rescue is full as her volunteer who used to take all the rabbits is very ill and she herself can only take around 10 - 15 rabbits. She is full at the moment (as are most rescues unfortunately). But she received a phone call today from a woman who breeds rabbits for a pet shop. The pet shop apparently said they have a slump in sales now and don't want any more rabbits. So this breeder is going to take 9 baby rabbits and dump them in a field if no one can take them (Grrr--- how responsible is that??).

So Gillian is livid about it but can't bring herself to turn these poor babies away knowing full well they will die if left out in a field. There are 9 mini-lops: 5 that are 7 weeks old and 4 that are 13 weeks old. I have a couple of spare hutches and can take a few as an emergency situation, but Gillian would like to know if there are any rescues within an hour or so drive from Herts/Cambs that could take the buns? Me and my husband will offer to drive them to whatever rescue can help.

You must hear this story repeated so often. It is very sad.

Thanks very much.
Best wishes,
Cathy

Thanks! I gave Gillian your number to ring as well. I am not sure what the time scale is (i.e. when this woman is going to dump the rabbits), but it didn't sound like she was going to wait around too long to find a rescue that will take them.

Any help would be great! Those poor babies wouldn't last 5 minutes out in a field.

If anyone else can help- please ring Gillian directly on 01763 244488.

cjmaclean said:
Thanks! I gave Gillian your number to ring as well. I am not sure what the time scale is (i.e. when this woman is going to dump the rabbits), but it didn't sound like she was going to wait around too long to find a rescue that will take them.

Any help would be great! Those poor babies wouldn't last 5 minutes out in a field.

If anyone else can help- please ring Gillian directly on 01763 244488.[/quote

hi cathy i missed her call i can hear the phone from the garden, i have lkeft another message with her or i gave her my cheif fosters number :lol: :lol: to call, we are up by carolyns on sunday so that would be great if we can organise it for then

Eve x

Thanks so much for your help Eve.

If we can sort something out for Sunday when you are at Caroline's anyway, that would be perfect. I know Gillian is in and out a lot at the moment as she has a new baby granddaughter that she is helping to look after.

I will try to get hold of her later and find out if she can get things organised for Sunday.

cjmaclean said:
Thanks so much for your help Eve.

If we can sort something out for Sunday when you are at Caroline's anyway, that would be perfect. I know Gillian is in and out a lot at the moment as she has a new baby granddaughter that she is helping to look after.

I will try to get hold of her later and find out if she can get things organised for Sunday.

oh hun!

How can people be so cruel and wicked. Wish I could help, but I am Derbyshire and wouldn't risk buns not vacc as I had one die of myxo a couple of years ago and am classed as high risk by my vets (have to vacc mine twice yearly). Sorry. I hope you are successful in rehoming the little bunnies. Good luck. Karen

RSPCA South Beds might be able to help (they neuter/vacc and keep buns in foster homes) so are quite good with bunnies. Contact Sam on: 07967 013373.

RSPCA BLAckberry farm (08700101852) also neuter and seem to be able to cope with a reasonable number of bunnies. They have big kennels for the bunnies so could fit groups if they have space.

Tam

Thanks Tam, we will try those two numbers you listed and see if they can help.

If Eve can take two buns and I can take two buns (as fosters for Heathlands) that leaves another 5 to find places for. I am not sure where Gillian has gotten to in speaking to other rescues. I will give her a ring and try to get an update.

I am coming down with Eve tomorrow, if any other rescues can take any of these buns i can collect them and will drop them off where they need to go?

Update: there are still three baby bunnies left at Heathlands. I think they are all males. I will be putting them on the main RR site under Hertfordshire once we sort out the sexes, get names, etc.

thanks to everyone who helped out!!

Back