• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Calling everyone with experience of wild plants & bunnies

Excellent point re: latin names. I encounter a lot of people who think they're an unnecessary fuss but they are vital for correct identification. For example, the plant referred to as a bluebell in england is called something completely different in scotland - so easy for mistakes to happen.

I was also wondering if we will be able to cite sources or evidence in the finished database. The main problem I have when researching diet online is whether a source is reliable or not - if a website says "Plant X is safe" how do I know whether to trust it or not? Does the writer have solid evidence or is it just that they fed the plant once and their rabbit didn't die?

Not sure how to achieve this. But something to think about maybe.

Can I quickly check something? Are all types of nettles and all parts of nettles safe to feed?

The only reason I ask is cos I gave the lops a big nettle today. No idea if it was a stinging one, I didn't touch it to find out :oops: and Mini ate it all except the white flower.

Can I quickly check something? Are all types of nettles and all parts of nettles safe to feed?

The only reason I ask is cos I gave the lops a big nettle today. No idea if it was a stinging one, I didn't touch it to find out :oops: and Mini ate it all except the white flower.

That nettles called White Dead Nettle .. The name sounds deadly. :roll:

That nettles called White Dead Nettle .. The name sounds deadly. :roll:

Are you going to join & help us whitehood? It'll be quite an undertaking, & none of us have much spare time. Some plants will be easier than others.

My own background is very shallow
Nature study at primary school included identification of the local plants. (Over 100 in a 1/2 mile stretch of lane alone :shock:) The interest "what is it/what was it used for in the past?" continued in adult life, together with enjoying long walks.
We all foraged traditional wild plants for our buns as children under adult supervision, as standard rabbit husbandry.
Wild plants became a necessity to feed my own bun with dysautonomia 5 years ago.

When we're altogether & have decided on where best to put the info. & decided on a list. I was thinking of us each taking a plant or group which fits together (preferably one we're familiar with). When we've got it together as far as we can go, we send it round the group by pm for corrections & additional info. [I think that's where parsnipbun's brainstorming info comes in]
Rewrite, then the whole group needs to see it for final discussion/comments.

Years ago I sort of started something similar: http://rabbitrehome.org.uk/plants/ but never got very far. I'd be happy to rework it, I think there might already be a basic admin but it would be pretty easy to set up something a bit more detailed where you could cross reference things.

Years ago I sort of started something similar: http://rabbitrehome.org.uk/plants/ but never got very far. I'd be happy to rework it, I think there might already be a basic admin but it would be pretty easy to set up something a bit more detailed where you could cross reference things.

Thank you Tamsin. I think that your list will be most helpful.
My concern was for those who want to forage for their buns, but are unaware of the large numbers of wild plants, some of which can look similar.

The purpose was not to make a comprehensive list of plants which can be foraged but to list the commoner ones together with illustrations & pool our plant knowledge to make them aware of the plants they could be confused by. We can either provide illustrations ourselves
(better to compare side by side) or provide links.

Like others I've been worried about using common names when identifying photos on here, but even more worried that the next plant someone gets could be a "look alike" but poisonous.

A very rough idea of the sort of thing I was thinking of (hastily put together on my floor & not thought out) is

DSCF5004.jpg

L Ragwort Senecio erucifoliusToxic : R Sowthistle Sonchus oleraceus Safe
Both are immature plants (1st. week in April) before the flowering stem has grown.
(BTW That's a young prickly sowthistle. Smooth & prickly sowthistles often x pollinate so I'm assuming they're the same species!)
They'll be much easier to tell apart in a month's time.

Last edited:
A big thank you everyone.
Help with the techi stuff will be fantastic, I'd forgotten about that. :oops:
I'm having difficulty getting onto RU some evenings. Are other folks finding the same or is it my computer?

Yes its telling me I need to go to bed :roll: I think this is a great idea. I can help in the way I have some good books which can tell you the medicinal properties of plants other than that I am useless.

Last edited:
I am a botanist, but have mostly worked in the lab with tobacco plants and pine seedlings. I can identify a lot of flowering plants, but I have no idea about their effect on rabbits, i.e. if they are toxic to them or beneficial in any way.

I agree that adding the Latin names is essential, as you can use those to find the plant in books and online. There are a lot of different English names for each plant, and that could get confusing.

I am a botanist, but have mostly worked in the lab with tobacco plants and pine seedlings. I can identify a lot of flowering plants, but I have no idea about their effect on rabbits, i.e. if they are toxic to them or beneficial in any way.

I agree that adding the Latin names is essential, as you can use those to find the plant in books and online. There are a lot of different English names for each plant, and that could get confusing.

You're very welcome Bavarian bunny, & very much needed. There are many references for what is safe & what is toxic for rabbits, but no references which juxtapose pictures of a known safe plant, to plants of similar appearance & often of uncertain effect on rabbits. We only need a basic plant identification skill to get the important part done.

It's aimed to improve the confidence of those who want to be sure they've gathered dandelions/chickweed, & damp down those who don't realise what is out there.

I think it would be dangerous to attempt anything like a veterinary herbal treatise for a lot of reasons.
I think that when it comes to group input, some of us can add eg. has mild diuretic properties - may help bladder sludge, best avoid if there is risk of dehydration, or discuss with vet if taking other meds.

LAST CALL FOR HELPERS
I'll let the thread run another evening & I'll try to get started tomorrow.

There are offers of help with the computing side.
Perhaps you can sort out the best place to put our work & explain to us. I've found that Google X references to RU quite frequently.

ii) If we can't get our own photos can we link to in internet site?

iii) Is there a lay out that would be easier tech wise?

iv) Is there anything else you need the botany people to be aware of?

With the offers of help with the plants - getting started.
I suggest we start with a list of the plants we forage for our buns ourselves.
Reasons -
a) We're more familiar with them, therefore it's less work when none of us have much spare time.
b) They are likely to be common across the country & so easy for others to obtain too.
Please can you pm me with your individual lists & I'll amalgamate them into 1 post for general discussion.

In conjunction with those helping with the tech side we'll need to plan a lay out of information per plant.

I think if you want to use other peoples photos you'd be best of contacting them first.

That's an excellent point about copywrite Schuette. I was looking at some sites last night.
Please keep your lists coming in.
I'm very tied up at the mo. cos Thumper's stopped eating & I've a very difficult situation with a new vet at the center.

I'm sorry to hold you all up.
I've some unexpected intensive bunny nursing on my hands at present.
Please forgive me.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I shall not be able to organise this project. I hope that some one else shall be able to do so in my stead as it would be a good resource & very helpful.

I sincerely thank everyone who has offered to contribute their various skills, & also apologise for my inability to fullfill my commitment.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I shall not be able to organise this project. I hope that some one else shall be able to do so in my stead as it would be a good resource & very helpful.

I sincerely thank everyone who has offered to contribute their various skills, & also apologise for my inability to fullfill my commitment.

Sorry things are so difficult for you at the moment Judy :cry::cry:

It was really lovely and thoughtful of you to come up with this idea and attempt to do it with everything you already have to deal with. I'm sure everyone understands completely. I just wish I had the time to take over :cry:

It really is a great idea and someone should give it a bash! ;):wave:

Back