• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Calling All Those Who Have Lops- a Request

Oh silly me, I just had my lops at the vets last week :roll:

Never fear, I'll try to remember when they go back for Blueberry's injection in September & Blackavar has to go on 14th August for his monthly teeth check.

I'm glad this thread is here. I don't think any of my buns have had their ears checked routinely. Xena has had ear problems (she's a helicopter) but it turned out to be ear mites. Shadowfax (lop) has never had her ears checked, I don't think. :shock: Will be asking to have them checked next time we are at the vets! I've also been trying to give them a good feel but Shadowfax wasn't amused and hopped off, stamping at me. :lol:

I had a lop, my lovely bridge boy Chester :cry::love: who had an ear base abcess that reoccurred. Definitely a good idea to make sure the vet is checking them even before any signs of anything wrong.

I was advised to keep a close eye on Esme after her vaccination in early June as there was a build up of wax in her ear and it was just looking a little sore, not enough to be a problem yet. I was shown how to massage at the base of her ear to help the wax move back to where Esme could get it out herself.. after FHB demonstrated Esme had a very good head shake, like she was saying I've wanted to shift that for ages but couldn't reach it :love:

I'd love to know how to do this, Merlin is forever at his ears, three times I've taken him to the vets to say about this (going again tomorrow) as I swear there's something bothering him - would you mind telling me how to do it? x (vets swear there's nothing wrong with him, Merlin's constant scratching, head shaking and me say different!! :evil:)

Coco went to the vet yesterday and got her ears checked (along with her jab and a micro chip, sidebar such a huge needle for such a little bun, poor thing!)

We are pretty certain that Coco is deaf as she never comes when you rattle food, only when Harvey reacts, plus she never reacts to the hoover or thunder storms. Anyway the vet checked her ears and there is no sign of any problems - wax, infection, mites etc so we think it is a congenital issue. I got her from a breeder (before I knew better) so I will email the breeder today and let her know.

Coco went to the vet yesterday and got her ears checked (along with her jab and a micro chip, sidebar such a huge needle for such a little bun, poor thing!)

We are pretty certain that Coco is deaf as she never comes when you rattle food, only when Harvey reacts, plus she never reacts to the hoover or thunder storms. Anyway the vet checked her ears and there is no sign of any problems - wax, infection, mites etc so we think it is a congenital issue. I got her from a breeder (before I knew better) so I will email the breeder today and let her know.

Thank you

What Breed/colour is Coco ?

Marble had her ears checked today - a few little nicks that I think are from grooming or hay (like last time) no sign of any problems, vet had a good look as part of a thorough health check

Bringing this up again as Alf went back to the vets today. His left ear, which just had wax in last week, was a lot better and although there is wax, it's not an irregular amount and Sarah was happy with that. His right ear - the one that had a large amount of pus in last week - however, was still not right. It didn't have pus in anymore, but had a LOT of wax so that was flushed out again :) Back next week again so shall re-report then!

He has lost 200g in a week though, which is a bit confusing :?

Last edited:
Biscuit is off to the vet on Tuesday for annual health check and vaccs, so will report back after that Jane :wave:

Mods - can we sticky this so people can find it? I think it's a handy reminder to people to get their lops' ears checked!

:wave:

im not 100% sure what she found, but Alvin has an abscess or something in his ears, not sure if he had it when he was with me or not but Lou has said its quite normal for lops to get ear problems :wave::wave::wave:

Parsley has no problems with abscess at all. (touchwod)
but his ears do flare up every now and again with inflammation especially in his left ear.
its because the ear canal is narrow and rubs.
we manage with baytril ear flushes when it flares up and pain killers as required. He hates his ear drops
great thread :thumb:

I'm taking Xena to the vets next week after giving her ears a massage and her reacting pretty violently with one of them. :cry:

Can ear problems cause eye problems out of curiosity?

Back