• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Calling All Those Who Have Lops- a Request

Both my lops are due for their vaccines mid-august, I'll make sure she checks. I know she will, I was there this morning and she was asking me about my lops ears because she'd been discussing it with another vet :lol:

hi jane I check my bunnies ears all the time, but at last vet check vaccinations ie, june, all was fine :wave:

Pansy is a lop and she's had a lot of problems with her ears, infection and an abscess, she has a ear resectioning to remove an under ear abscess and now I think I can feel a lump on top of her other ear...she developed head tilt which was the first sign of infection, then the rest of the problems followed.
I check Alberts regularly and no problems so far.

I was advised to keep a close eye on Esme after her vaccination in early June as there was a build up of wax in her ear and it was just looking a little sore, not enough to be a problem yet. I was shown how to massage at the base of her ear to help the wax move back to where Esme could get it out herself.. after FHB demonstrated Esme had a very good head shake, like she was saying I've wanted to shift that for ages but couldn't reach it :love:

My wee Smudge a minilop is deaf... No obvious signs as checked by the vet last year and again when he had his last bout of earmites,,

He has had ear mites twice in a year.

Last edited:
Popped Alf - purebred mini lop - to the vets today as his ears were giving him obvious discomfort. Large amount of wax in his left and pus in his right :roll: he had them flushed there and is on a weeks course of septrin and another anti-b I can't remember the name of! Poor lad.

Typical lops, eh?! :roll:

Popped Alf - purebred mini lop - to the vets today as his ears were giving him obvious discomfort. Large amount of wax in his left and pus in his right :roll: he had them flushed there and is on a weeks course of septrin and another anti-b I can't remember the name of! Poor lad.

Typical lops, eh?! :roll:

I have found Septrin to be a good abx for ear infections. Much to my surprise !

I have found Septrin to be a good abx for ear infections. Much to my surprise !

Yeah, I was expecting him to go on Engemycin or whatever it's called, as when my past bunny Rosy got a build up of wax that was what she had, but because there was pus in one ear and it wasn't just wax Sarah said she wanted to go in all guns blazing, so to speak, and get stronger meds in him. Hopefully he'll take them OK, he's renowned for his difficultness :roll:

Jane, whilst you're online - is this likely to be a recurring thing? :( Alf has now also got sore hocks and recurring ear problems are the last thing I need!

Yeah, I was expecting him to go on Engemycin or whatever it's called, as when my past bunny Rosy got a build up of wax that was what she had, but because there was pus in one ear and it wasn't just wax Sarah said she wanted to go in all guns blazing, so to speak, and get stronger meds in him. Hopefully he'll take them OK, he's renowned for his difficultness :roll:

Jane, whilst you're online - is this likely to be a recurring thing? :( Alf has now also got sore hocks and recurring ear problems are the last thing I need!

Unfortunately ear problems do tend to recur.

Just a thought, has he been checked for arthritis in his spine ? Sore hocks and ear problems can be secondary symptoms of spinal problems. The sore hocks due to poor mobility/ the Rabbit not weight baring correctly. The ear problems as a result of the Rabbit not being able to clean his ears adequately.

Unfortunately ear problems do tend to recur.

Just a thought, has he been checked for arthritis in his spine ? Sore hocks and ear problems can be secondary symptoms of spinal problems. The sore hocks due to poor mobility/ the Rabbit not weight baring correctly. The ear problems as a result of the Rabbit not being able to clean his ears adequately.

Sorry - somehow, I missed this.

It's funny you should mention that, as I was wondering that myself. When I list his symptoms, it does seem possible.

One thing I have also noticed, is that when he sits, he really sits back into himself - if that makes sense? I look at other photographs of bunnies sitting and they all seem to be fairly 'spread-out', whereas Alf sits right back and has his front paws almost pressed against his chest. It's kind of hard to describe, but when I see other bunnies sitting they have themselves more forward, like their spine is more horizontal, whereas Alf seems to deliberately push back. No wonder he's got sore hocks (mild, but still there)!

He's not even three yet, though, and I thought arthiritis only tended to occur in older bunnies?

Sorry - somehow, I missed this.

It's funny you should mention that, as I was wondering that myself. When I list his symptoms, it does seem possible.

One thing I have also noticed, is that when he sits, he really sits back into himself - if that makes sense? I look at other photographs of bunnies sitting and they all seem to be fairly 'spread-out', whereas Alf sits right back and has his front paws almost pressed against his chest. It's kind of hard to describe, but when I see other bunnies sitting they have themselves more forward, like their spine is more horizontal, whereas Alf seems to deliberately push back. No wonder he's got sore hocks (mild, but still there)!

He's not even three yet, though, and I thought arthiritis only tended to occur in older bunnies?

That is a classic symptom of spinal discomfort. Unfortunately arthritis can effect some Rabbits from a relatively early age.

Hi Jane,

My boy had to have an op on Wednesday to have his whole inner ear removed as he has abscess that that gotten so big it had broke a bone in his ear. I check his ears weekly and I had only felt the tiniest little lump 2 day before he when to the vet. The Vet checked in both ears and the left one was a complete mess (it had only been check 2 months before by him) He had to have a CT scan and was taken in to surgery a week later. He is on Metacam twice daily, Zantex twice daily, syringe feed 3 times a day and penicillin jag once a night. He also has had half his head shaved and looks a wee bit like an alien x

My big tatty teddy storm has " perfect ears,' according to my vet :D given his age ( he is 9 ) and the fact that he is an arthritic largeish bun I was very surprised to hear this. He had a little wax and may have a slight loss of hearing but nothing nasty at this moment in time :D

Krypto lop had a full health check on 8th july? Because he was a newbie his ears were fine with nothing to report :)

Hmmm..Right. How do you test for arthritis? And what are the treatments for it?

Sorry, I missed this. A Vet may be able to detect signs of arthritis on physical examination. But Xrays would be needed to obtain a definitive diagnosis. Treatment usually consists of non steroidal anti-inflammatories, physio, acupuncture and in more advanced cases a stronger analgesic such as Tramadol may be needed.

Thank you all for you replies :)

When Shadow was a bit "off" a few weeks ago the vet had a really good lug inspection with the thingyscope and he got treatment for mites :thumb:

Back