• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cage biting through bars

katie2000

Alpha Buck
Hiya

I am planning on bonding my 2 buns this weekend (male/female pair both neutered).

At the moment they are both being housed seperately but in the same room and they have been taking turns at being free range, however whenever pipkin (the boy) goes past blackberrys hutch he can't resist trying to bite her through the bars or try and pull out any bit of fur that might be poking through :cry: When blackberry is out she will go over and sniff at Pipkin and then he will try to bite her so she runs off

I also tried a cage swap last night and blackberry was fine in pipkins hutch - she settled into his bed and started munching on hay but pipkin hated being in blackberries - he stamped and scratched so just generally got furious so I took him out in the end :?

Can anyone tell me if this is normal?? I am terrified that he will go for her at the weekend. Has anyone ever had this before?

this is just territorial behaviour.
to bond them you will need a completley neutral area aroudn 4ftx4ft sortv size to start (6x6 would also be ok) to neutralise an area you clean everything with white vinegar including toys or water bowls/food bowls or use new ones.

put completly fresh bedding in the area nothing that smells of one or the other, then you will need to put both in the pen at the same time...they will liekly hump, chase nip and fur pull but this should settle down dont let them actualyl injur each other or roll around locking on this is fighting and not allowed. usually they will need to eb in the pen for a minimum of 48hours with constant supervision, put food scattered on the floor and 2 water bowls too

Thanks bunlover :) I have my neutral area sorted in th bathroom and will buy some white vinegar tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed. I am a bag of nerves and its not happening until friday!!

Thanks bunlover :) I have my neutral area sorted in th bathroom and will buy some white vinegar tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed. I am a bag of nerves and its not happening until friday!!

try not to be nervous while its going on (i find a glass of wine helps) as they can pick up on nerves....scatter food in the area and allow them to interact obviously intervene if you think injury about to occour...good luck!! xxx

Thanks :) So far its going really well, we have had a bit of mounting and fur pulling but each of the bunnies seem fairly relaxed and we have even had a little bit of grooming :D I am keeping my fingers crossed

Buns do tend to bite through bars, even if they wouldn't otherwise. Try not to let them do this, otherwise their relationship may get off to a bad start when you bond them properly.

Back