• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buying a Run and renovating a hutch

Milo2015

Warren Scout
I have two options (well LOTS of options! but have narrowed it down)

One - 6 foot by 6 foot. £120

Two - 6 foot by 8 foot. £170

And that is only at 2 foot high.

The rabbits are house bunnies and have the run of the upstairs but they loved being outside. The run would most likely be attached to a one level five foot hutch via a runaround tube plus access to a metal run six foot by three foot. They would be out there for a few hours in the evening.

Are the extra two feet squared worth the 50 quid? And should it be three foot high?(I have two mini dwarf lops)

Update

Just because I want to have one thread ;)

My plan is to have a renovated double 5 foot hutch inside (upstairs). The top would be for my guinea pigs and the bottom would be a base for the rabbits - a litter tray and a rug and a hay rack. They free range all the time and only go in their cage if I hoover or there are fireworks. I am lucky they are good rabbits.

Anyhow, outside, two runs, connected with runaround tubes, also connected to a five foot hutch. Neither hutch is especially good quality but I want to strength/adapt them both.

Inside hutch

1. Replace the roof with lighter smaller slats, hinge so it can fold up hot days
2. sand down hutch and paint to match the furniture (cuprinol shades)
3. remove extra mesh.
4. move the doors around possibly
5. line whole hutch with floor tiles.
6. cut out a correx "tray" for the top for the piggies

Outside hutch

1. use the roof from the inside hutch as the base for this hutch.
2. make a set of legs (!) to raise it off the ground - 3 foot hopefully.
3. Double mesh the windows.
4. extra locks.
5. add a run around door.
6. add litter tray hay rack mat.

Any advice on how to make the legs, also would the rabbits go up a tube do you think or should I make it lower?
Thank you

Last edited:
Ok.......went out in the rain(!) and measured up, actually the biggest space I can use for the main run is 6 foot by 7 foot so that is it!

Now I think I should go for 3 foot high? What do you think ?

I think sometimes with rabbits it's a case of trial and error. 2 ft high is ok as long as it has a top. Some bunnies go up tubes and some don't but I wouldn't make it too steep. You could make a stand for the hutch or pick ip a coffee table at a car boot, although that might not last very long, depends on the wood. Or you can get a long piece of 1.5" x 1.5", cut into 4 pieces and screw onto the side of the hutch. Do they need a hutch outside if they are indoor bunnies?

I think sometimes with rabbits it's a case of trial and error. 2 ft high is ok as long as it has a top. Some bunnies go up tubes and some don't but I wouldn't make it too steep. You could make a stand for the hutch or pick ip a coffee table at a car boot, although that might not last very long, depends on the wood. Or you can get a long piece of 1.5" x 1.5", cut into 4 pieces and screw onto the side of the hutch. Do they need a hutch outside if they are indoor bunnies?

the coffee table idea is genius....especially as I could paint the whole thing......I have one in the shed (it used to be a stand for the guinea pig cage!! In fact much of the stuff in the shed comes from all the trial and error......) might look a bit weird but it might not ;)

Really the hutch is because I'd like them to have variety and things to do. And another place to hide.

I would definately go for a three foot high run. Much nicer to sit in with them for a start!

Have dispensed with a flower bed or part of a flower bed and in the process of ordering a six foot by 8 foot by 3 foot run. The guinea pigs will have a 3 foot by 6 foot run. Both will be anchored in to the dirt and have mesh stapled or cable tied to the base. The turf will be put on top of that and I will make some sort of path round the outside so I can have access to my new (narrow!) raised border and the hutch.

Back