• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny with broken leg :(

Update.

So after much consideration and a lot of upset I decided to pass bing on to the lady at Barnyard Bunnies. It was a really hard decision but I had to do what was best for Bing.
Bing was collected this morning which was really hard for all of us, I felt so upset and broke down with guilt and the fact that I could not help him myself. Once he got to Barnyard Bunnies he was taken to the vets where they found he had broken his tibia and would need his leg amputated. I know that I have done the right thing because amputation would not have been an option at my vets and they would have more than likely put him to sleep.
We will miss Bing terribly but at least he can get better and hopefully have a happy life. Thank you to Amanda at Barnyard Bunnies for helping Bing, we hope he brings you as much happiness as he brought us x

Awww, it must have been a very difficult decision but a very selfless one. You put Bing's needs first and, although your kids will be really upset too I'm sure, that is such an important thing for them to learn too.

Bing is in really good hands and hopefully should cope very well on 3 legs, especially being so young.

Sending you lots of hugs. I'm so sorry and realise this must have been such a hard decision.

Update.

So after much consideration and a lot of upset I decided to pass bing on to the lady at Barnyard Bunnies. It was a really hard decision but I had to do what was best for Bing.
Bing was collected this morning which was really hard for all of us, I felt so upset and broke down with guilt and the fact that I could not help him myself. Once he got to Barnyard Bunnies he was taken to the vets where they found he had broken his tibia and would need his leg amputated. I know that I have done the right thing because amputation would not have been an option at my vets and they would have more than likely put him to sleep.
We will miss Bing terribly but at least he can get better and hopefully have a happy life. Thank you to Amanda at Barnyard Bunnies for helping Bing, we hope he brings you as much happiness as he brought us x

Its very selfless of you to put Bing's needs first - you've done a good thing. I understand its a really hard decision for your family but rest assured he is in very capable hands

Update.

I can give you a 100% guarantee that the Vets now treating Bing will do absolutely everything possible to help him. As I said in my previous post, one of my Bunnies had to have his leg amputated after sustaining a severe compound fracture. The Bunny (Harry) was only about 6 months of age when the accident happened. Harry came through surgery brilliantly (I watched my Vet do the op') and he was up and about the next morning as if nothing had happened. Harry had 8 years of good quality happy life, despite him only having 3 legs.

You have been exceptionally brave and selfless to do what is right for Bing and I really cannot emphasise strongly enough the quality of care he will receive from both the Vets and from ARC (the Rescue). I believe you have young children who are no doubt very upset by all that has happened. But they will also learn an important lesson, that sometimes we (humans) have to make very hard decisions to ensure an animal in our care gets the help they need. There is absolutely no shame in not being able to afford Bing's treatment yourself, instead take pride in the fact that you signed him over to ARC who will make sure he gets the best care. You have put Bing's needs first, that is what you need to focus on. There are sadly too many humans who put their own needs above what is best for any Pet in their care.

Bing is a very lucky bunny to have people who care so much about him that they give him up for the care he needs.

Tripod bunnies do very well. I had one that even the vet nurses didn't realise was a tripod at first as he was so agile, and the long black fur made it difficult to see the missing leg. His was also a freak accident where wind blew something across his run and broke both bones in a front leg. We tried to save it but ended up with an amputation, which he coped with much better than the dressings used to splint the leg for the first few weeks.

I know it must have been incredibly hard but you’ve done the best thing for him. He will definitely get the best of care and I’m sure he will do really well :love:

Don't feel sad or guilty. Karen told me how upset you were and the lovely set up you have.

Bing has had his tramadol in banana, he wasn't interested until I mashed the banana.

Hopefully this will help him sleep.

I found out that ARC has already had three other rabbits have successful amputations. Bing will be given every change possible, that you won't have to worry about.

He is adorable too. X

Don't feel sad or guilty. Karen told me how upset you were and the lovely set up you have.

Bing has had his tramadol in banana, he wasn't interested until I mashed the banana.

Hopefully this will help him sleep.

I found out that ARC has already had three other rabbits have successful amputations. Bing will be given every change possible, that you won't have to worry about.

He is adorable too. X

You are an Angel for organising all this :love:

Absolutely!
I also remember how kind Amanda was in offering to help me.

Amanda is one of the kindest, non judgemental and accepting people I have ever met. Despite all of her own serious issues she always reaches out to others and never expects anything in return. She's blessed with a very naughty SOH just like me too !! :lol:

Amanda is one of the kindest, non judgemental and accepting people I have ever met. Despite all of her own serious issues she always reaches out to others and never expects anything in return. She's blessed with a very naughty SOH just like me too !! :lol:

Could do with you both as neighbours!

That's good he's getting help,you did the right thing by him,don't be upset ( though I know you can't help it).Hugs to you.x

How's little Bing doing? I really have a soft spot for him and he nearly got bunnynapped to be Bonnie's husbun but remembering the enormous bill I had for Cherry I know the right place for him is with ARC and you fostering him.

Little Bing is a smart boy. He drinks the metacam from the syringe no problem. Yesterday he took the tramadol in a piece of banana. Today one pill has been in a piece of banana, a grape and in a raisin, left uneaten. I crushed it and mix with water and put it in a syringe but he refused it. James has gone out and bought apple and pineapple juice and starting with a new tablet. My priority is not to stress him out so given him time to himself. He was getting upset with the syringe and I don't want him to get to hate it. Thankfully he is chilling out now.

Just want to send lots and lots of vibes for Bing for his amputation tomorrow. I will be thinking of him xxx

Back