• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Salad Pictures Please?

I feed a very basic diet of white cabbage, carrots, green cabbage or spring greens and celery. All chopped and each rabbit getting a very small handful per pair. We do give treats of roses/rose leaves/lavendar/rosemary and other herbs etc, but only in very small amounts.

I have to say the big bowls of veg in some of the above photos look quite a lot to give bunnies daily IMO. I'd be worried about them filling up on veg and not wanting hay. The size and quality of the poos will show if they are eating enough hay and the veg should only form part of the diet (about 5-10% only per day).

Here's my boys supper salad :D

bunniesandspiderpicssept2010011.jpg

That looks lovely and healthy.

Ooo I didn't think of giving them flowers to eat (not that I have many in my garden). I think I must have odd bunnies. They aren't bothered by fruit, they don't eat the middle White leaves of cabbage and one of them doesn't like carrot! Actually he will only eat green cabbage, spring green, kale or parsley! Why can't my buns be normal!?

I've got a bunny like that! :wave:

I have to say the big bowls of veg in some of the above photos look quite a lot to give bunnies daily IMO. I'd be worried about them filling up on veg and not wanting hay. The size and quality of the poos will show if they are eating enough hay and the veg should only form part of the diet (about 5-10% only per day).

I think it's not about them eating as much hay as possible, but about a healthy balance. No, my rabbits do not eat a lot of hay. I think they eat about a (big)handfull each, a day. If I'd cut down on the veggies, they would probably eat more. But they're in perfect health and they eat all day. Veggies, dried herbs, a small amount of pellets and between their meals they eat hay or grass. In the end, that's what it's all about, I think. Having them eat a lot to get all the nutritons they need. It's working for my three at least. :wave:

(Also, I must say they eat al ot more hay in winter when they can't eat so much grass..)

Last edited:
oo that look intresting may i ask whats in your salad bowl :lol:?
i feel a bit boring giving my bun spring greens and herbs :oops: just worried i will give them somthing thats harmful

Rose petals and leaves, calendula flowers and leaves and stalks, nasturtium flowers, leaves and stalks, bramble leaves, runner bean leaves, strawberry leaves, and hawthorn leaves :wave:

ETA oh, and usually a bit or parsley or basil too

Rose petals and leaves, calendula flowers and leaves and stalks, nasturtium flowers, leaves and stalks, bramble leaves, runner bean leaves, strawberry leaves, and hawthorn leaves :wave:

That's good enough for a hoomin to eat!

That looks lovely and healthy.

Thank you :)

They only have a small amount of carrot each day at breakfast (1/2 a small carrot cut up between 4 of them) but no other veg - their guts (and therefore poops) are so much bigger now that they have these foods instead of vegetables.

:love: thank you bunnys are going to be trying flowers this week :D

What an incredible meal!! I'm going to have to experiment with flowers! (not that my garden has ANY left

I feed a very basic diet of white cabbage, carrots, green cabbage or spring greens and celery. All chopped and each rabbit getting a very small handful per pair. We do give treats of roses/rose leaves/lavendar/rosemary and other herbs etc, but only in very small amounts.

Agreed :thumb:

My lot only get a small bowlful for each pair to share

Less veg and less pellets = more hay consumed = healthy buns with good poops and less likely to have dental issues :D

What an incredible meal!! I'm going to have to experiment with flowers! (not that my garden has ANY left

The roses and calendula are flowering amazingly this year because I am constantly picking the heads off (early dead-heading) and I've got lots dried for over winter too :)

Re: Amount of veggies

I have these two dishes that i prepare veg in currently. I make sure the total weight is 1400grams. That's 100grams per bun. I.e it's like a rabbit dish full of veggies when it's shared out, so looks more than it actually is.

In my mix i have spring cabbage or other cabbage, mint leaves, basil leaves, sometimes coriander and parsley, a pepper, a few carrots, 1 full cucumber, tomatoes, an apple between the lot of them and a pear chopped up.

Along with this i am currently feeding 30-60 grams of pellets and unlimited hay. I put out 100grams of hay daily at the moment, once it is weighed out. This fills up several buckets which is distributed between the buns. My buns are never short of hay. I have some that will eat the majority of it and others that will hardly touch it, but i feed the same amount regardless.

It's very apparent to me if a bun doesn't eat hay- as i put it through the runs metal bars (rather than use tiny hay racks), the hay is raised off the ground and whatever remains untouched, can be used in the litter tray afterwards, or just thrown out.

Here is a picture of tonights veggies xx
NLGlyl.jpg

Sounds good :) I give a handful per bun it works out at the moment. I have 14 i'm feeding at present, which will soon to increase no doubt.

I never ever thought of feeding rose petals, lovely idea :) I only get supermarket herbs, i can't say I'm that creative. It's just stuff I've come across in the store :)

Not sure how I'm working out percentage wise with the veg,hay, pellet ratio. I feed 100grams of veg per bun currently.

xx

I think it's not about them eating as much hay as possible, but about a healthy balance. No, my rabbits do not eat a lot of hay. I think they eat about a (big)handfull each, a day. If I'd cut down on the veggies, they would probably eat more. But they're in perfect health and they eat all day. Veggies, dried herbs, a small amount of pellets and between their meals they eat hay or grass. In the end, that's what it's all about, I think. Having them eat a lot to get all the nutritons they need. It's working for my three at least. :wave:

(Also, I must say they eat al ot more hay in winter when they can't eat so much grass..)

Your buns are lovely and they do look in great health :) I'd keep doing whatever is working for you.

Lovely bunny's ! xx

Agreed :thumb:

My lot only get a small bowlful for each pair to share

Less veg and less pellets = more hay consumed = healthy buns with good poops and less likely to have dental issues :D

Mine works out about 1 bowl full each- and it's just those normal rabbit bowls which say "rabbit on the side". I mix in pellets also, so they aren't getting massive amounts of veg.

Definitely agree- less veg and pellets = more hay for some bunny's. I have others that won't touch it though. I.e some of my dental buns.

I also have a a couple of healthy buns with no teeth problems that also eat very little hay, even when I've decreased veg and pellet further. They just don't seem to be interested in hay. I've tried so many different kind- the nicer it is - the more it gets left :)

I think for most buns that are healthy that formula will work though :) xx

Chloe and Edward tucking in to their salad

34667_533217413526_265500030_2106825_3433718_n.jpg

They get quite a bit but they are greedy piggies and still munch down a lot of hay!!!

Back