• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny proofing the patio

tabithakat64

Mama Doe
We have a massive patio (roughly 36 by 40 feet) that we're hoping to fence off so the buns can do some free ranging as trying to secure the whole 180 foot garden is proving impossible financially.

We intend to have wooden fencing (95cm tall) with weld mesh attached that will start on the edge of the patio and be concreted in so the buns can't move it to escape or dig out, one side is securely walled the other has wooden fencing with a concrete base so this should be bunny safe?

We will padlock the gate so no one can let anybun out.

Other than replacing all the potted plants with bunny friendly contents is there anything else we should be doing? Obviously plant pots wont be placed near the fence so some bun could jump out.

Part of this area along with our concrete wood shed will eventually become a bunny shed with attached run leading to a runaround system.

Does this all sound ok?

It sounds good, although I would go at least 4ft high with the fence, (if it's not going to have a secure weldmesh top) I've seen mine jump that height. I would also only advise it for supervised exercise if it hasn't got a weldmesh lid, otherwise a cat/dog etc could get them.

It's going to be for supervised access only for several hours most days.

The garden it's self has a 5/6 foot fence surrounding it apart from a bit of mesh 4 foot fencing at the bottom behind the shed but it's not dig proof and there's literally hundreds of non bunny friendly plants. Our garden is amazing and I love it but find my self jealous of those with small lawned walled gardens since I've had the buns :)

Sounds great then, I'd still stick with 4ft for the fence especially if they are agile bunnies, although maybe mine are just mental :shock::lol: I know what you mean about the garden, I would love to let mine free range but my garden is too big to rabbit proof and also I know I'd probably have great difficulty catching them or getting them into a carrier :lol: We've made an aviary style run for ours 17ftx10ft which is attached to their shed so they can have access to it 24/7, meshed top and bottom, my OH was fed up of weldmesh by the time we had finished :lol:

That sounds great :thumb: thumper free ranges in the garden, he has 12 hours out there but spends most of his time (like 80%) asleep in the laundry room!! :roll:

Back