• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny-proofing advice needed!

PoppyRabbit

Warren Scout
FINALLY moving to a new bigger house in a couple of weeks and Poppy will have a new craft room to herself, as well as run of our huge living room for most of the night. Plus we also have a paved garden which we can try and bunnyproof and a big field next door so the possibility of a portable run is in the running also.

Our current house has laminate flooring and thin wood pulp skirting which Poppy chewed an awful lot, despite many toys, extra space, more attention and discipline given.
The new house has carpets and normal sized painted wooden skirting and i would obviously like to try and prevent her chewing or digging either of them!

She's still too small to be safely spayed at the moment, so i know some of her chewing may go away after eventually having that done, but for now i need preventative advice to help make the house safe from damage and Poppy safe from ingesting something nasty.

I have bought some log border fence sections (without stakes and made from safe untreated wood) which i plan to secure in front of the skirting boards (somehow...can't think how yet) so that she cannot reach them to chew, plus wires can be tucked behind out of the way. I would prefer a white plastic fence but beggers can't be choosers!

She has carpet sample mats down in our current house and she has never chewed or damaged them, so the new carpets in our new house may yet be safe from that.
The only thing she has ever chewed is the skirting (and wires), she normally very well behaved!

Anyone have any suggestions to hide or protect the skirting in her room or any info on carpets and rabbits?
Thanks!

bdffc3ecb2d59e81d837c1a7f3f99648.jpg

Our current house and the damage around the room.

I used puppy panels round the edge of the room whrn mottle and peaches were indoors..
I held them in place with bricks.

I also put cardboard behind them so no wood was visible...

Luckily i didnt have carpet in their room.

When frosty and snowflake lived in my bedroom they had rugs for ages then one day started chewing them. Took em out.

Good luck.

My house bunnies attempted to dig/chew the carpet in the corners and at the door threshold of their room. We've put ceramic tiles in these locations to so they can't do this any more. We've also got thin plastic strips and put these on door frames they've tried to chew.
bb198febd0661c5c9b49a82a2666e2eb.jpg

Where did you get the plastic strips? And how did you attach them? I'm in a rented house and my buns have chewed a lot of the door frames and the wooden runner up the stairs. Does anyone know of a way I could fill in the gnawed parts and re-paint so it looks ok? A bit worried my landlord will be severely unimpressed!

Back